(Topic ID: 143409)

STTNG Issues with Switch and Diverter

By saber07

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I recently replaced switch 23 (Made Middle Ramp) as the switch was old and not always triggering. The replacement seems to be working fine during gameplay; however, when the switch is triggered in the switch test it is also triggering the two switches next to it on the matrix. They are 33 (Under R Gun sw2) and 43 (Under L Lock sw4), which are both optos.

The game played fine for a bit, but then I started having a problem with the game kicking out two balls during play. The trough optos appear to trigger correctly in switch test, so I looked at the bottom diverter (when playfield is up) and it appears to be gummed up and not operating smoothly like the top one.

I'm planning to take the subway off to try and clean this bottom diverter as I think this is some source of the problem, but is there something else that could be off that I'm missing? Do I need to take the subway completely off to clean the diverter? Anything else I need to check while it is off if that is the case?

Appreciate any help, slowly trying to work through these issues as a new owner!

#2 8 years ago

Did this start after you replaced the switch ? If so - get the wires back in the right spots. Look at other similar switches in your game to see white wire and what ever color stripe and black end of diode go there, green wire and what ever color stripe go there, silver band end of diode goes there.

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

Ugh, I feel stupid, I didn't even check the direction on the diode before resoldering it . I'm guessing that could be part of the problem then. I'll try to check the other switches to see if I can figure the direction out, hoping this is all it is.

I believe the diverter issue is separate though and just happened to start after this, as the diverter barely moves when I manually adjust it.

Thanks

#4 8 years ago

Someone probably greased the diverter at some point and it is seized with gunk. Just take it apart and clean it.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Someone probably greased the diverter at some point and it is seized with gunk. Just take it apart and clean it.

My 1 diverter was like this. After I got all the gunk out, it worked fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 64.99
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-issues-with-switch-and-diverter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.