A9FD3FE3-8EB6-4E05-9E62-72D75D9C32EA (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
STTNG Switch Matrix-no balls (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
1127 (resized).JPG
1125 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

So I went down to south florida today to pick up an STTNG at a damn good price.

Congratulations, you have chosen a fantastic pin.
When you have time, be sure to check out the STTNG owners forum, you will find a ton of useful information there.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

So I’m getting a top drop target error - the switch is fine but the lever mounting points on each side are worn off so the lever doesn’t stay on.

You may be able to fix this by squeezing the mounting tabs on the actuator arm with a pair of pliers

Quoted from r00DVM:

Mine has a resistor soldered across two of the three contact points, do I need one?

This is a 1N4004 blocking diode, it is required on all switches to prevent the active column signal from propagating to other columns.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

Would this switch being bad cause the “buzz buzz buzz” that happens during play as the ball goes into that top hole?

hard to say, with this switch out of the loop, the game will think the drop target is always up, if its supposed to be down for staging or ball locks then the game will be firing the drop coil. You may also be hearing subway firing to sent the ball to the proper location, this is less likely as unless the machine is staging, balls in the top hole should be fed to the upper left VUV which requires no subway diverters to activate

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

it automatically plays the “shuttle craft leaving” sound and animation on the screen...

I believe there are two shuttle craft animations, one shows a shuttle craft leaving UFP HQ in San Francisco, this is activated by closure of subway opto SW46. The other is just a shuttle craft and is activated by closure of the switch at the top of the right ramp SW87.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#24 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

My subway is DISGUSTING - I swear i thought it was a metal subway until I started reading more about the game and realized they're all plastic. Its also cracked beneath the center hole so I am deciding if I want to replace it completely (another $120?!) or take it off to clean it and attempt a repair of some kind

A lot of these are cracked in that spot as its the main shot to advance in the game; plus if you raise your playfield without removing all the balls, the staged balls will slam right into the plastic ends of the subway. There are metal subway protectors available to help with future breakage; for a player quality machine, you can post in the STTNG owners thread to see if someone that has an old subway leftover from a restoration project that they would part with; but if you are planning on a full restoration (new quality or better) you will want to replace it for sure.

New Quality or better:

1125 (resized).JPG1125 (resized).JPG1127 (resized).JPG1127 (resized).JPG
#31 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

Okay so I got my new subway with protectors in the mail, got the old subway out and everything disconnected - the top diverter... what’s the easiest way to get that out of the old in and into the new one? It looked like pulling the set screws and shaft and then reinserting on the new one but that shaft is LOCKED in there.

Are you referring to the linkage that contains the setscrews or the diverter itself. These parts were well designed and should come right out, if it was incorrectly installed and the setscrews where tightened down outside their slots, you could be dealing with metal burs on the shaft. The pictures I provided should help in this area as you can see all the parts removed and how it should look when put back together.

#32 4 years ago

PRO TIP:

Best cleaning method for the Stainless Steel Subway insert (ball track) is to go over it with a 3M Scotch-Brite Fine-Finishing Sander after removing all the crud.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4DK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00

I used this on all of the upper playfield ball guide rails as well as the subway track.

#33 4 years ago

I almost forgot...

Please look over this post for more detailed information on bulletproofing the subway diverters.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/53#post-4768297

This is what I use on metal-metal moving parts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XBH9HI/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

I see them disassembled in your photo but I can’t get that shaft out at all even after the set screws were removed.

Ok. I'm still confused on this as you aren't taking the shaft out of the crank (part that contains the setscrews), you are pulling the crank off the shaft. You should already have the plunger of the coil, if not this is why its difficult.
1) First remove the 2 screws holding the coil stop in place, remove the coil stop, then slide the coil out of its plunger
2) You should be able to get the plunger out of the coil retaining bracket, if not remove the retaining bracket and spring.
3) Now slide the crank off the shaft, if it doesnt want to come off, just hold the diverter so it cant turn and rotate the crank back and forth while applying upward pressure until it comes off.
4) now just pull the diverter and shaft out of the bushing, if it's stubborn, feel free to smack it with your rubber hammer.

Essentially, it should look like this before you remove the crank and diverter shaft, as you can see in the picture below, I cant recall if I hat to remove the coil retention bracket to get everything free, or if I removed it since everything was coming apart anyway.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

I don't know that I want to upgrade the coil from stock - I'd like the gameplay to be nostalgic (aka as original as possible) for people who have been playing it for the last 26 years, but I guess I'll see how it is after Ii rebuild it.

The stock coil should have more than enough power to make the shot. If after the rebuild you are still having issues you may be seeing some ball bounce from the ball guide to flipper transition, there should be none. After your rebuild, put a straight edge against the ball guide and align the flipper bat to it. If the straight edge cannot rest against the entire flipper bat AND the ball guide with zero gaps ... Make it so!

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

It’s firing balls from the main launcher that starts the game. It doesn’t seem to have any level of predictability to it that I can see. Like I said, player 1 had a great normal ball then player two ended up with an endless supply of balls being launched after each drain

My best advice to you is to become familiar with your switch matrix test (T1)

This is what the switch matrix should look like after castration (balls removed)

STTNG Switch Matrix-no balls (resized).jpgSTTNG Switch Matrix-no balls (resized).jpg
#53 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

yeah... t18 is supposed to empty the lower playfield right? You just go to it and hit enter? Cuz mine doesn’t do shit.

You have to bypass the high power interlock by pressing it in; this game didn't come with "pull-out to bypass" interlock switches.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

I would also buy a new set of wiring harnesses as aback up for the two launch mechs , these tend to go bad over the years as well did to the back and forth movement and old stiff wires .

Lowest price on these can be found on ebay:
ebay.com link: itm

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

Looks like 66 is open despite nothing being in the trough there. Cleaned it and no change so I think I’ll just buy a new one. Any recommendations on where to get one?

wiggle the connector pin the photo transistor board, if the switch closes then it's a problem with the header or connector, if nothing happens then it's likely just a bad IR LED which is repairable.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

Also it looks like I can reproduce the error when I lock 2 balls under the left lock - then there’s only one ball left in play and it just launches it endlessly (probably because 66 is showing open even though it’s closed.)

Exactly correct.

If it were me, I would measure the voltage drop across all of the IR LEDs. A reading of around 1.5V is good, 12V is bad, 0V is worse.

A lot of folks out there will suggest removing this board and looking at the LEDs with a camera so you can see the IR LEDs glow, and I have to admit there is a certain amount of coolness in this, especially if you've never done it before; however, it takes less than a minute to make all 7 measurements and in reality you can just place the black lead on any ground point and just move the red lead to take all 7 measurements.

1 week later
#62 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

I read somewhere that the hole in the playfield should be visible at the back edge of the flipper, a friend thinks it should be centered.

In reality the best adjustment for this game is to ignore the hole completely and just put a straight edge along the inlane ball rail and then adjust the flipper (with rubber installed) so that its flush to the straight edge.

Bally Williams games were designed to have the back edge of the flipper (without rubber) aligned to the pin that goes in the hole.

Stern games have the hole out further and you align the center of the flipper to that hole.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

The problem persists and is super intermittent - I know it happens when there’s only supposed to be one ball in “play” and so when it kicks that last ball out to play and the sensor goes “open” the game goes nuts and keeps trying to kick it out.

I've worked on a set of optos like that before ... what I found was someone replaced three of the IR LEDs and broke the thru holes on all three; this was causing intermittent connections and was difficult to find.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

Good to know! I’ll give that a try. Same for the upper flipper?

Exactly the same, you may have to bend the ball guide rail to get it to align perfectly. When its properly aligned there will be zero ball hop on those time you let the ball ride by; and will be against the flipper when you go for the Delta Ramp; this is the single most important alignment for consistantly making the Delta Ramp shot.

1 month later
#81 4 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

a new mount for the right upper flipper on STTNG because one of the OLD hex bolts snapped off when I did my rebuild.

Can go this route if you so choose ... https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williamsbally-machines-from-021992-to-101998.html Jusat make sure to order the correct one

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-issues-after-300-mile-trip?tu=Pin_Guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.