Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ClarkKent
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm shopping out a Star Trek: The Next Generation and I'm installing new Alpha and Delta ramps. The problem I'm having is that the new alpha ramp, once it is screwed down by the two screws at the ramp entrance, it sticks up too high in the back, causing the delta ramp to stick up too high and the diverter is hitting the delta ramp. I've messed with both of these ramps and I can't get them to mount properly to where the diverter doesn't hit the delta ramp.

When the new alpha ramp is installed, it's sitting flush with the bottom of the cut out in the wood back panel. Is this normal or should it be sitting lower than this?

I already threw out the old Alpha ramp (argh!) as it was busted up pretty bad so I'm not sure if the problem is with the new Alpha ramp or something else.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any input would be appreciate. Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

On closer examination, it looks like the new ramps are thicker than the original ones. I'm thinking I'll need to adjust the height of the diverter so that it sits up higher and will clear the delta ramp opening.

Has anyone else had to do this when installing new ramps on a ST:TNG?

#3 8 years ago

Not on a STTNG but it's a common occurrence with these aftermarket ramps. Some messaging is necessary to get things to line up perfectly again. Also, check if you have any switches on the ramps. Sometimes they need to be adjusted in order for the ball to make good contact with them due to the extra thickness of the ramp walls.

Good news about the new ramps are they are thicker so they should last longer.

#4 8 years ago

So I went to install the new Delta ramp but the Alpha ramp is causing the Delta ramp to sit up too high and it doesn't sit flat on the metal ledge on the back wood panel that the Delta ramp screws into. What the heck? I don't recall using spacers for that. The Delta ramp is sitting up almost an inch from that metal ledge.

Can someone who has installed replacement ramps on their ST:TNG chime in?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from debaser:

Can someone who has installed replacement ramps on their ST:TNG chime in?

I have not replaced mine but I would agree replacements are usually thicker. Also, the spacers etc. may not have been correct to begin with--I ran in to that on a TOTAN--I scoured the web for pics of the correct post/spacer placement. I've used a dremel to shave some protectors--haven't done it to any ramps...not sure if any of those solutions help. Maybe search for STTNG shop pics and compare things?

#6 8 years ago

It's funny - I had the very same problem that you have! I also replaced Alpha and Delta at the same time and the diverter was not able to go through the opening in the Delta ramp. I remember it was certainly at least 5 mm under the opening. I do not know exactly what was going on, I even removed both ramps and placed them in there again, but after inspecting the situation and not knowing what to do exactly I tried pressing it down on the rear part again and again for half an hour. Suddenly I heared a short loud scratching sound and the delta ramp was moving down the required way instantly (nothing cracked by the way). I can not fully tell you what happend exactly but I think the space for the Delta ramp is too tight as the material of the ramp is slighly thicker and it was just frozen on the backboard. I would recommend to sand off the side of the Delta ramp (maybe the Alpha ramp, too) that is touching the backboard a little bit. Moving the diverter up is not a good thing (I think) because it would mean that the ramp is too steep which would result in a changed game play or in the most worst case maybe impossible to do certain shots.

The only problem I have after the ramp change is that the delta ramp flap is not exactly in the same angle and position on the playfield as the old one so the mold of the old one is slightly visible in front of the new flap now. The metal of the old flap digged into the playfield over the years. I do not want to paint the playfield there, it would just be easier if the new flap overlaps the mold of the old one (which is the case on the new Alpha and Beta ramp). Any idea how to do this or how to hide the markings?

#7 8 years ago

I was able to make it work without having to adjust the diverter. The problem is that the repo alpha ramp is thicker than the original and it just sticks up higher than the original causing the delta ramp to sit higher. Finally got it all put back together and it plays really nice. Still can't hit that darn Delta ramp consistently, even with rebuilt flippers, heh.

I also discovered that the frame and eyelet for the drop target assembly is broken, which is causing the actuator to get hung up and not always able to drop the target. Got one of those ordered. Other than that everything is working great.

I sure am glad to be done with this one and don't want to shop out another ST:TNG anytime soon!

#8 8 years ago

How did you solve the problem with the delta ramp sitting to high?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 85.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-issue-with-new-alpha-and-delta-ramps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.