Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ClarkKent
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150504_210320409_iOS.jpg
20150504_210310289_iOS.jpg
20150504_210329039_iOS.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Just picked up a nice STTNG but a few issues have arisen. On start up, the 3 balls seem to go fine into the playfield, then I begin the game. Then when i launch a probe on the first ball, it wont go into the underneath subway, and just bounces back. On other tries after first ball, it seems to work fine. This is the first issue.

Now, the second issue. When i get the the final locked ball, it goes into multiball, but it just continues constantly, with the ball launcher constantly trying to launch balls, but there are none coming up from the trough. It just keeps firing, and the game is on an endless loop and no matter how many drain, it just keeps popping the one ball out.

I am new to this type of era of game, with all other ones being newer sterns, so please keep that in mind. I am sure it has something to do with the optos, but I have no idea what I am doing under there on these. Thank you so much for the help.

#2 4 years ago

Hmm, if three balls are loaded already, choosing launch probe should just pop one out to one of the cannons. Not launch a ball.

Go into test mode and check if the diverters and vuks under the playfield are firing. They should guide the balls to one of each VUK: 2 cannons vuks and the main vuk on the left. If this is correct, you should check the opto's.

#3 4 years ago

Well, when i luanch the probe at first, the little blocker doesnt go downs sometimes, or perhaps when I hit lock as well from launch. Suppose it is a dirty switch perhaps. Them main issue is that during multiball, it seems only one ball is available, nothing else is coming out of the trough. The game is then endless, it just keeps kicking out the same ball over and over after it drains.

#4 4 years ago

Do you have any credit dots? Does this happen every single game? It sounds like you might have a faulty switch that isn't sensing the target is up. The ball should go load in the top and then load one of the cannons from the subway.

#5 4 years ago

Check that all your trough switches are working correctly, mine had a bad LED and would miscount balls during Ferengi multiball.

#6 4 years ago

The drop target under the borg ship (which i think you are refering to as the blocker) is another common failure point. make sure it goes up and down cleanly, and isn't rubbing against the hole in the playfield. if it's getting stuck in the up position that could be the cause of your probe problem.

#7 4 years ago

First, in the test menu go to clear all balls. Two should be loaded in to the cannons, one should pop out on the left ramp, then the other three should launch from the trough.
After you have emptied all balls out of the machine, load all six into the trough. Exit back to the game. try to start a game, the machine should load three balls in the the subway. if that is not happening then you probably have a bad ball trough. You can get replacement sets from Great lakes modular, they are great and no too expensive.
If the balls load correctly and your problem persists you may have a flaky opto in the subway.

Quoted from forensicd:

Well, when i luanch the probe at first, the little blocker doesnt go downs sometimes, or perhaps when I hit lock as well from launch. Suppose it is a dirty switch perhaps. Them main issue is that during multiball, it seems only one ball is available, nothing else is coming out of the trough. The game is then endless, it just keeps kicking out the same ball over and over after it drains.

If the drop target is not working correctly you will have problems on ball launch, you will not be able to collect any of the SKILL shots on ball launch, and locking a ball during gameplay will be a problem as well. Go over the drop target assembly. make sure the coil is not fried, the drop spring, the long one that pulls the drop down when it is hit, is not worn out. basically just make sure all the parts are not worn out or bent.

#8 4 years ago

Could it be the trigger switch? Its really squishy and soft. The drop target seems to be functioning fine, but you can here the drop target go up and down a few times quick when it does malfunction. Thanks so much for the help guys!

#9 4 years ago

The more i try it, the drop target at the back seems to be the issue. When i boot it up, sometimes the drop target doesnt go down, so one of the balls gets kicked back out and back into the trough, so the number of balls is incorrect. When this happens on the launch probe, the ball does not go into the subway system, so again the count is off. So, is the drop target something i need to replace? It seems to function correctly some of the time, but not all of the time.

#10 4 years ago

Look at the switch on the drop target too. Sometimes the metal armature will be a little loose and sloppy, causing it to get hung up out of it's normal position and not allowing the drop target to fall. Could be the little tabs the armature clips to on the switch are worn or broken, which will give it too much play. Sounds like this is your problem with the drop target sometimes not going down. When it happened to mine, no matter how hard I hit the drop target, it would not go down. Would work sometimes, then get stuck and not go down. Replaced the switch, problem solved.

#11 4 years ago

So, what triggers the drop target to go up or down on the launch? is the swithc on the wireform, or is the trigger switch?

#12 4 years ago

Ok, heres what it looks like down there:

20150504_210329039_iOS.jpg20150504_210320409_iOS.jpg20150504_210310289_iOS.jpg

Anything look awry?

#13 4 years ago

Yes, the switch arm should be below the metal tab that protrudes to actuate it. The way it is now the switch can never be closed so the game doesn't know the target has dropped. This should lead to a credit dot and a warning to check that switch when you enter the service menu.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yes, the switch arm should be below the metal tab that protrudes to actuate it. The way it is now the switch can never be closed so the game doesn't know the target has dropped. This should lead to a credit dot and a warning to check that switch when you enter the service menu.

no, i believe the switch arm is in the right place -- the black tab on the drop target is what activates it, not the metal tab on the coil assembly.

#15 4 years ago

So what's the consensus? In the right spot or no?

#16 4 years ago

It's in right spot. The drop target falling is what activates the switch

#17 4 years ago

make sure that metal arm doesn't have a lot of side to side play in it. If it can move too much, it will get too close to the drop target and prevent it from falling because the metal arm is stuck on the eclip or some other place on the target.

If you're hitting the black drop target with a ball and it's bouncing off because the target won't fall, something is binding it from doing so and my first suspect would be that switch arm. Short of that, the targets do get quite dirty and grimy, which can prevent them from falling smoothly. You could also take the drop target off, give it a good cleaning, and I usually rub some fine grit sand paper all in the grooves you see with the 2 eclips to make sure they are nice and smooth. Clean it all though, the posts that go through the target, the sping, washer, eclips....they can get sticky over time.

#18 4 years ago

You can also adjust the height of the drop target with that bottom screw. You want it just flush with the top of the playfield when down. Too high or low will cause the ball to bounce back sometimes. Also clean your spiral wire ramp so the ball maintains max velocity on launch.

#19 4 years ago

Ok, I think i got it! I noticed that there was no way for the drop target to come down because the actuator arm was broken off! So, ordered a new one and hope thats it. Thanks!

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

Ok, I think i got it! I noticed that there was no way for the drop target to come down because the actuator arm was broken off! So, ordered a new one and hope thats it. Thanks!

There ya go. Good luck!

#21 4 years ago

Was broken on mine, too. But the best is that it seems that it was broken for the last 10 years or so and nobody wondered why it was not working...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside