(Topic ID: 31749)

STTNG Help Request: flashers out,playing two minigames at once,missing 20V,etc.

By Arcadegarage

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo_5.JPG
photo_4.JPG
photo_3.JPG
photo_2.JPG
photo_1.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Hey guys, looking for some help on my STTNG. It has a few problems that all showed up within a day. I'm not a newbie to collecting, but am when it comes to doing my own repairs...willing to learn though. I just had knee surgery so standing for periods of time could be difficult. If I don't respond right away, it's probably because I'm on painkillers and couldnt get around to working in the machine that day. I'll do my best and I appreciate all your help.

-flashers do not work in backbox
-some lights are out on right side of pf and Borg ship
-missing 20V to the driver board. Checked the test points, nothing. Checked all fuses and are OK.
-CPU board LED not lighting up properly
-LED bulbs that are out in backbox, not on PCBs, come back on when I simply touch them with my finger. Is this normal?

I looked this up/talked with a few STTNG owners and it could be several things from bad bridge rectifiers to bad or missing capacitors, to reseating the chips, etc.

In addition to these known problems the game plays different minigames at the same time.  When you pick the probe minigame it sometimes just skips over it and continues to play the star trek theme music, not giving me the chance to shoot the cannon because it doesn't load it.  It doesnt allow you to cancel Data's suggestion for 10,000 points with the flippers either.  Other times you will be in the middle of a mission and it will unexpectedly end the mission much shorter that it should.  It allows you to play two minigames at once.  For example, Q talks to you and the inserts are lit even when it says that Q's Challenge is over and you're shooting around the pf.  Two different music clips play along with the associated sound clips from whatever minigames are going on.  Separately, Borg multiball started without me even hitting a target associated with it. Sometimes the initial launch of the ball from the plunger changes your rank (eg: ensign to lieutenant).  Balls are getting stuck all over the pf so gameplay stops and it activates all the upkicks, etc to find the missing ball(s).  So there are all sorts of weird things happening with the game...I am unsure what could be causing all of this.

Looking forward to fixing this...thanks!

#2 11 years ago

It would help to know if it was fully working prior to this or whether the problems all occurred at once.

I would start by posting what the 3 diagnostic LEDs on the CPU are actually doing.

#3 11 years ago

Just had the machine delivered to my house from a fellow pinsider. He says everything was working the day before. We fired up the game and all of these problems were present. We checked all connectors to make sure they were in and in the right spots.

From my memory, the top LED on the board isn't lit at all, the second is flashing, and the third is on all the time.

I defaulted all the factory settings.

No error messages come up on the DMD.

#4 11 years ago

The LED states are right for normal operation.

I recently had odd problems on mine. While tracing down some of the obvious causes, a number of problems went away by simply replacing the ribbon cables. I wouldn't even try to determine the age of any. Unless you know for certain any are new, just replace them all - its an easy $35 for the entire set.

Is the battery off the board, and is there any corrosion there?

You might also look for burnt coils for the subway diverters

Just some easy things to check first

#5 11 years ago

yeah, as far as I know none of the ribbon cables have ever been replaced.

batteries are on, no corrosion.

haven't looked for burnt coils in the subway.

no burnt connectors in the backbox.

#6 11 years ago

Bump for help pulling the Picard maneuver sometime soon

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Arcadegarage:

-flashers do not work in backbox

each flasher in the backbox is a double from one in the playfield. Run a flasher test and verify that the playfield ones go off and the backboard do not. Perhaps every bulb is burnt out. Perhaps the wiring to the flashers is disconnected. If the ones in the playfield do not work either, perhaps the 30v problem is causing it. Remember the coin door needs to be closed for a flasher test

-some lights are out on right side of pf and Borg ship

You mean GI? Probably fuses. There are 5 GI fuses. If all test ok with a dmm, check the state of j120/j121 connectors for burnt wiring.

-missing 20V to the driver board. Checked the test points, nothing. Checked all fuses and are OK.

how do you check the fuses? Anything short of yanking them out and checking with a meter is not sufficient. If you have no 20v then all your flashers and low current solenoids won't work.

-CPU board LED not lighting up properly

Define "not lighting up properly". As you describe the three LEDs below, sounds fine.

-LED bulbs that are out in backbox, not on PCBs, come back on when I simply touch them with my finger. Is this normal?

Pull each of these LEDs and bend the prongs a bit so they make better contact with the socket.

I looked this up/talked with a few STTNG owners and it could be several things from bad bridge rectifiers to bad or missing capacitors, to reseating the chips, etc.
In addition to these known problems the game plays different minigames at the same time.  When you pick the probe minigame it sometimes just skips over it and continues to play the Star Trek theme music, not giving me the chance to shoot the cannon because it doesn't load it.  It doesnt allow you to cancel Data's suggestion for 10,000 points with the flippers either.  Other times you will be in the middle of a mission and it will unexpectedly end the mission much shorter that it should.  It allows you to play two minigames at once.  For example, Q talks to you and the inserts are lit even when it says that Q's Challenge is over and you're shooting around the pf.  Two different music clips play along with the associated sound clips from whatever minigames are going on.  Separately, Borg multiball started without me even hitting a target associated with it. Sometimes the initial launch of the ball from the plunger changes your rank (eg: ensign to lieutenant).  Balls are getting stuck all over the pf so gameplay stops and it activates all the upkicks, etc to find the missing ball(s).  So there are all sorts of weird things happening with the game...I am unsure what could be causing all of this.
Looking forward to fixing this...thanks!

You list so many other issues here. It sounds like you have power board issues with 20v (could still be fuse). Sounds like CPU related errors, likely caused by bad cables or bad power to CPU. I would reseat every cable blowing on each connector as you remove it with compressed air. I would check your fuses with a meter as stated above. I would load factory settings in the utility menu of the software. I think start there and report back on each. If you say something is fine, please explain in detail how you determine so.

#8 11 years ago

I was able to stand today so my buddy came over to help me diagnose the STTNG. We started off and played a few full games. Took our time, played some long games, tested all switches, cannons, etc and got through the Final Frontier. The game was playing great, but a few minor software glitches still came up that I had mentioned above. So the game miraculously hadn't fixed itself in a week from being off.

Did not replace the ribbon cables but had a look at them. There weren't any breaks or anything like that but the cables do hang pretty free in the backbox. Sometimes they're a little twisted around but not tightly enough to worry about anything by far. I always wonder about what resistance the cables have when they're not totally straight (or if it matters).

Looked at the flashers between the backbox and the playfied...none of them worked at all. Checked connectors; everything looked fine. Coin door was closed or I held the push buttons down with my hand if it was open. The coin door was notorious for opening during a game...I wonder if that messed around with anything that could cause a problem?

Took all the fuses out on the power pcb and tested them; they're all good. No burnt connectors.

Took off every connector on the power pcb and sprayed with compressed air. Then hooked them back up.

Watched a Pinball Ninja Youtube video about the same 20V problem with the flashers. It was a bridge rectifier. As soon as he replaced it the flashers all worked. So I feel like it's either BR3 or BR4. I didn't take off the board and test the bridge rectifier yet though.

Hooked everything back up and all of a sudden the game wouldn't play. Game booted up, lights were on (minus the flashers), DMD displayed properly, etc. But, the start button wouldn't work and I couldn't play a game. I took a ball and tried to play it on the playfield but the game didn't want to play and it ended up looking for balls (as stated on the DMD). Looked in the backbox to make sure all the connectors were hooked up properly and it all looked fine. Even went through the schematics to make sure the correct sequence of wires was happening for all power pcb connectors. Did a switch test and every switch worked in the test mode, even the start button. That's where we stopped since we had been at it for awhile and then all of a sudden the game stopped working.

I attached some pics of inside the backbox for your viewing pleasure. Thanks!

photo_1.JPGphoto_1.JPG photo_2.JPGphoto_2.JPG photo_3.JPGphoto_3.JPG photo_4.JPGphoto_4.JPG photo_5.JPGphoto_5.JPG

#9 11 years ago

Weekend bump.

#10 11 years ago

The game will not start if:
- not all balls are located
- the start button doesn't work
- the game has no credits

I would start there. As for the ribbons, visual inspection isn't enough. Not sure where you are with your other laundry list of problems. But it's difficult to get answers here with so much going on. I'm having a difficult time following this thread or where we are at on it.

#11 11 years ago

I did everything from above and posted my findings. No luck...it's actually gotten worse and all I physically did was check fuses for connectivity (good) and blow compressed air in the connectors.

-Game cannot locate balls and seems to freeze when trying.
-Start button does work in test but not outside test mode
-made sure game has credits, start button still no response.

In test mode I can't even clear the balls. About to call in a repairman if we can't figure it out.

#12 11 years ago

So let's assume the problem is caused by the balls not being located. There should be 6 balls. Where are they currently at? I would run through a test of all your coils and see if one or more are not firing. Perhaps the balls are not where they should be and the game cannot kick them out due to a disconnected or dead solenoid. So let's try these things:

1) describe what happens when you try to clear all the balls
2) run through the coil tests (need coin door closed). Can you hear each coil fire? Which one(s) are not firing?
3) count the balls. There should be 6. Where are they all?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-help-request-flashers-outplaying-two-minigames-at-oncemissing-20vetc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.