New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 163624)

STTNG Help

By brent149

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by brent149
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2016-07-06_14-41-54_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

I was hoping someone could help me with some switch issues I'm having on my STTNG. I recently had to install new switches for both my gun motors. While they register as working in a switch test, they come up as the wrong switches such as left out lane, control grip etc. The weird things is all those other switches (like left out lane) test fine as themselves as well. Was hoping someone has ran into a similar problem they've had to fix. Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 4 years ago

Without looking at the chart, 2 switches reading as the same switch is usually a bad diode in my experience. Check the chart and I'll bet they are on the same wire and you have a diode out

#3 4 years ago

Thanks, I'll check that. You're right about them being on the same wire. Each time one reads incorrectly it's displaying the name of another switch on the same wire.

#4 4 years ago

Or you connected a diode or wire in the wrong spot. Pictures will help us.

#5 4 years ago

Here's a shot of my two left gun switches. I wired the right side the same.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#6 4 years ago

Is one of those switches really just wire wrapped and not soldered? Also that switch appears the diode lead and the bare wire could possible be touching.

#7 4 years ago

There's solder on the right side of the ground in that pic, but not much. I check and none of my wiring touching the other post on switch. Cleaned it up just in case but no improvement on the switch test.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

The weird things is all those other switches (like left out lane) test fine as themselves as well.

This is actually very common behavior for switch matrix problems; usually its related to a shorted or backwards diode. Yours appears to be properly wired, but those solder connections are going to cause you a lot of issues.

The picture below could be an illusion but, it sure does look like the same wire strand.

2016-07-06_14-41-54_(resized).jpg

#9 4 years ago

I definitely see what you're talking about, but they're not really touching. I just went to trimmed up the wires to be sure and had no effect. I'll try resoldering my leads like you said and see if that helps.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,800 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Nashville, TENNESSEE
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 350.00
Boards
Pinball Basement

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside