New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 76265)

STTNG gun feeder hole lighting

By lb1

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0024-564.JPG
IMG_0021[1].JPG
IMG_0019[1].JPG
IMG_0020[1].JPG
IMG_0018[1].JPG
IMG_0017[1].JPG
IMG_0016[1].JPG

#1 6 years ago

Any recommendations on how to lights these two guys up with led lights from the inside?
Thanks.

3 weeks later
#2 6 years ago

Since I got no response, I had to go ahead blind...

I ended up starting with two very thin wires that I recycled from a old cell phone charger. Then I took apart two flex leds and solder the wires to them with some heat shrink tubing on top. Because of the height of the feeders chimney, you want the total height and thickness of the led + soldered area to be as small as possible. Double sided exterior 3M tape to keep the led in the corner and as flush as possible and voila. Getting the led in the right place with the tape was such a pain given the tiny space that I made another another one with a tiny magnet and some epoxy glue. This is one showed in the picture. Overall, it ended up being a bit of a pain to make but it looks really nice in the end.

IMG_0016[1].JPG
IMG_0017[1].JPGIMG_0018[1].JPGIMG_0020[1].JPGIMG_0019[1].JPGIMG_0021[1].JPG

#3 6 years ago

Looks sweet!

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Since I got no response, I had to go ahead blind...

Looks really cool. I think you had to go blind because no one else ever thought to do this.

#6 6 years ago

Whose flex leds are those? The LED itself looks like an RGB led, which is interesting. It means you could potentially change the color yourself or mix any color you want.

#7 6 years ago

Good Job! I'm trying to think of a way to have a green LED glow from beneath the trap door of my funhouse when it is open. You have given me some inspiration. Thanks!

#8 6 years ago

Very sweet. Where did you solder the wires to?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Whose flex leds are those? The LED itself looks like an RGB led, which is interesting. It means you could potentially change the color yourself or mix any color you want.

Blue coin taker 555 flex led. I attached a picture of the broken down led.

IMG_0024-564.JPG

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Very sweet. Where did you solder the wires to?

I looked for some GI lamps nearby. I could have soldered the wires directly but I did it in two steps.

IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Blue coin taker 555 flex led. I attached a picture of the broken down led.

Interesting. I am 99% sure that is an RGB LED.

I'm gonna pull one of my CT flex LEDs out and mess with it a bit.

BTW, I think the idea of epoxying a magnet in there is brilliant. I've wanted to do lights in the NASCAR garage for a long time, and couldn't figure out how to mount them without drilling a bunch of holes. Thanks for posting that!

#13 6 years ago

Could the resistor be responsible for controlling the color? Last night, I took apart a red 44 flex led and there was a resistor on only one leg.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Could the resistor be responsible for controlling the color? Last night, I took apart a red 44 flex led and there was a resistor on only one leg.

The board might be specific to the color, which means it wont really be feasible to change. But, if it is able to be changed by changing the way it's hooked up, you could potentially have pinball LEDs in any RGB color you want.

#15 6 years ago

On the topic of magnet versus double sided tape... I used double side tape and I have not tried the magnet yet. The tape was a major pain. The conduit is super tight and once the tape attaches itself to the side of the conduit, changing the location is a major pain. I had to use a switch blade adjustment tool to pry out the tape from the side. Hence, the idea to use the magnet. I used these amazon.com link »

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

On the topic of magnet versus double sided tape... I used double side tape and I have not tried the magnet yet. The tape was a major pain. The conduit is super tight and once the tape attaches itself to the side of the conduit, changing the location is a major pain. I had to use a switch blade adjustment tool to pry out the tape from the side. Hence, the idea to use the magnet. I used these amazon.com link ยป

Cool, thanks for the link.

#17 6 years ago

The resistors do not control the color. They are single color 5050 smd's.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The resistors do not control the color. They are single color 5050 smd's.

You are right. I forgot 5050s are really 3 LEDs. I saw the three die and immediately assumed RGB.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside