Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mtripl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Recently my STTNG has been acting very unconventional to say the least...during play it is awarding me extra balls or hopping into Borg multiball and even going into the warp countdown like I've reached warp 9...seems like everything is happening all at once too and is very random. No credit dot errors either. any clues wtf is happening here?
Thanks in advance!
mtt

#2 5 years ago

Have read about it here and it happens to me occasionally too. Seems to have something to do with cleaning all the optos and checking/replacing the trough opto boards. Dirty/malfunctioning optos trick the game into thinking a ball went through there when it was actually somewhere else, freaking out the computer.

#3 5 years ago

Dirty or bad optos and/or bad opto connections are the source of 90% of STTNG crazy behaviour. In your case it doesn't sound like trough optos, but rather the optos in the subway system and/or on the delta ramp and Borg ship lock. Clean them all with a q-tip and alcohol. Check all the connections. Check the opto board connections, especially those that use IDC connections as I have had them give me fits multiple times. That should give you a good start.

#4 5 years ago

Any loose "Borgs" hanging around in the cabinet?

#5 5 years ago

The bridge/cap for the unregulated 12v supply may be failing and need to be replaced. This supply powers the playfield optos and is a likely problem if you are seeing issues from more than one weak opto.

Check the voltage at TP1. If it's under 12.5V, replace the bridge/cap in the upper left corner of the power driver board that is associated with this supply

#6 5 years ago

I'd first go into T1 and check for optos that are open that shouldn't be.

Turn the game on and put it in T1; there should be 3 balls in the trough and 3 balls under the PF (switches 36, 37, and 41).

Then it's also a good idea to leave the game on in T1 for a long time and go do something else within earshot--listen for flaky optos that open & close rapidly.

Good luck.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks everyone!!
Mike

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside