Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Recently picked up a STTNG and the "Playfield 2" lights will not light at all. When going into the GI Test, all other GI lights work correctly (Playfield 1, Shields, Insert (backbox), etc). Any ideas on what could be causing Playfield 2 to not light? Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Burnt connectors ? Check J120 and J121

Also check the fuses on the left downcorner on the powerboard (F106,.......F110)

#3 7 years ago

Checked all GI Fuses and reseated J120 and J121. Fuses were good. There was some very slight browning on the J121 connector but it did not look burnt to me. No change in the symptoms.

#4 7 years ago

Try swapping 120 and 121 and see if the issue follows the connector or stays with the connection on the board.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

Try swapping 120 and 121 and see if the issue follows the connector or stays with the connection on the board.

Don't be alarmed if the shield GI goes out by doing this. The shields should be on the Brown GI circuit (F110) wired to J121-7 (hot) and J121-1 (RTN), revision 4 of the WPC schematics show that the header pin at J121-1 does not pass to J120-1, this would leave the shield GI circuit (Brn/Brn-wht) with no return path.

Quoted from halomojo:

Recently picked up a STTNG and the "Playfield 2" lights will not light at all.

Curious, where are you getting this Playfield 2 reference from? I do understand that there are 3 separate GI circuits for STTNG, but I have no reference to them being listed as GI 1, 2, or 3 anywhere.

My question back to you is...how many pop bumpers light? Two of them are on the Violet GI circuit (F106) J121-11 (hot) - J121-6 (RTN) and one is on the Green GI circuit (F107) J121-10 (Hot) J121-5 (RTN)

EDIT: I verified that J120 and J121 read a dead short between them, must be an error with my eyes or the schematic ... never quite sure which one these days

#6 7 years ago

Once you answer the question above, follow the corresponding colored wires back to where they stop working; or start with verifying you have your 6.8VAC on J121. If you are missing the voltage at J121, verify the AC voltage is at present at the same colored wires on J115, if not inspect J115 wires and header for damage, if the voltage is good at J115 and not at J121 the problem is going to be on the power driver board, either a header pin, fuse holder, or triac.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Once you answer the question above, follow the corresponding colored wires back to where they stop working; or start with verifying you have your 6.8VAC on J121. If you are missing the voltage at J121, verify the AC voltage is at present at the same colored wires on J115, if not inspect J115 wires and header for damage, if the voltage is good at J115 and not at J121 the problem is going to be on the power driver board, either a header pin, fuse holder, or triac.

Figured it out last night! The problem was at the J120 connector. One of the wires had a loose connection so I reseated the wires within the connector and the "Playfield 2" GI lights were good to go.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Curious, where are you getting this Playfield 2 reference from? I do understand that there are 3 separate GI circuits for STTNG, but I have no reference to them being listed as GI 1, 2, or 3 anywhere.
My question back to you is...how many pop bumpers light? Two of them are on the Violet GI circuit (F106) J121-11 (hot) - J121-6 (RTN) and one is on the Green GI circuit (F107) J121-10 (Hot) J121-5 (RTN)
EDIT: I verified that J120 and J121 read a dead short between them, must be an error with my eyes or the schematic ... never quite sure which one these days

The "Playfield 2" reference is from running the GI Lights Test under the tests menu. The test is broken up in a few different sections:

1) Inserts 1
2) Inserts 2
3) Playfield 1
4) Playfield 2
5) Shields

While running the tests, you cycle through power levels of each section. Everything worked properly until I got to the Playfield 2 section. As far as the pop bumpers are concerned, 2 of the pop bumpers would not light when Playfield 2 was out.

After reseating the J120 wires, everything is good to go! Thanks so much for everyone's assistance!

#8 7 years ago

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the additional information

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-gi-lights-playfield-2-not-lit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.