(Topic ID: 337525)

ST:TNG: "Ghosting" (multiple lights firing) with LEDs?

By GoDFaDDa

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I have a ST:TNG, and a few years back, I got the Marco Specialties LED upgrade kit. The lights did have a flicker/hum, but they also mis-fired often - multiple lights firing during a single-light test. Flashers and GI worked fine. I got a OCD board from Comet Pinball a few years later, and that fixed the flicker/hum, but not the mis-firing. There are a *lot* of mis-firing - some are on for most of the time, and some are always on in "pairs".

Has anyone seen this issue before with LED upgrade kits for WPCs? How would I go about fixing this particular kind of "ghosting"?

#2 1 year ago

That depends on what kind of bulbs were in the kit (regular or non-ghosting).

Either way, the best way to address the issue is to patch the ROM to eliminate the flaw.

The patching tool was called Wplcp.

It looks like someone also created a website for doing this: https://xianek.eu/wpcrom/

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That depends on what kind of bulbs were in the kit (regular or non-ghosting).
Either way, the best way to address the issue is to patch the ROM to eliminate the flaw.
The patching tool was called Wplcp.
It looks like someone also created a website for doing this: https://xianek.eu/wpcrom/

Wow! I hadn’t seen that before. I’ve never tried to update ROMs myself on a WPC. I just bought upgrades for my TSPP, and everything else I own is USB. What kind of equipment do I need for that these days?

#4 1 year ago

I bought a non-ghosting rom from someplace years ago for my Jack*Bot, does anybody sell those for STTNG?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from GoDFaDDa:

Wow! I hadn’t seen that before. I’ve never tried to update ROMs myself on a WPC. I just bought upgrades for my TSPP, and everything else I own is USB. What kind of equipment do I need for that these days?

Either get one from someone who has already patched the ROM, or get an EPROM burner (and eraser) so you can do it yourself.

#6 1 year ago

#7 1 year ago

Dave Astill at https://www.pinballrom.com has all the roms you need. He also sells on pinside.

#8 1 year ago

Get the new LX8 ROM as it has the LED patch and you get the bug fixes a few new features like randomized shuttle in video mode.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from spidey:

Get the new LX8 ROM as it has the LED patch and you get the bug fixes a few new features like randomized shuttle in video mode.

Thanks, everyone! I have an eprom burner and eraser, with the right adapter, and a couple eproms coming tomorrow (yay Amazon).

Quick question - does the ns response rate on the eproms (27c040-70 vs. 27c040-150, etc.) matter? I assumed not.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from GoDFaDDa:

Quick question - does the ns response rate on the eproms (27c040-70 vs. 27c040-150, etc.) matter? I assumed not.

It does in certain applications, of which WPC boards it is not - either the -70 or -150 will work fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 64.99
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 37.50
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Everett, WA
$ 15.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
6,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.