• 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by HoakyPoaky
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!change 2.JPG
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I just started playing it and I am not sure how much I like it yet. The side drains are particularly frustrating. Does this get better once you fine tune your shots?

The machine is gorgeous and the sound a blast though.

#2 10 years ago

I think that your reviews may be twenty years late....

STTNG is indeed a great game, and if you need training wheels, there are lane extenders to make the outlanes less brutal.

Go Bears!!

#3 10 years ago

Nudge up when ball at top of slings to help save drains...

#4 10 years ago

You'll learn to be smart with your shots and avoid trying to hit standup targets or anything that creates any side to side action as the slings are deadly. Once you get the ramp shots down and the left orbit to side ramp (Delta) shots down the game becomes a lot more enjoyable. Always pick the "Advance Warp factor" option at ball launch and get the extra ball after Warp Factor 8.

I think as an overall package STTNG is the best game ever made. It's the game that's been in my collection the longest and will likely be the last to leave. It's a game that requires great shot accuracy and controlled playing and will make other games seem easy the more you play it.

#5 10 years ago

To get the flow the game has to offer, you'll need to have some strong flippers. I would recommend the upgraded prototype ones from Pinball Life, it really made a big diffence in mine. Once you start nailing the delta ramp combos, you'll see why its a keeper.

#6 10 years ago

the picard maneuver is so satisfying once you get consistent at it. This game's got great flow if you make shots. playing borg multiball in a darkened room is pretty awesome, too. so disorienting with the borg ship firing at you, those flashers in your face.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Always pick the "Advance Warp factor" option at ball launch and get the extra ball after Warp Factor 8.

Why would you do that? It goes from starting at Warp 4 to starting at Warp 2 after you have hit Warp 9. It isn't hard to get a single warp to get to Warp 2, no need to waste the skill shot on it. Get your extra ball and use light locks, since it lights and awards lock which is two shots to achieve in the game as opposed to start mission and a Warp 2 which are single shots. Borg multiball can be worth a ton of points, especially if you do it multiple times and hit the 3 cannon jackpots in a row at the start. Plus, if you do light lock 3 times, it will award light holodeck on the third time which is another artifact and 159 million if you do it the right away. And don't dumb the game down with stronger flippers and outlane extenders. You have it at home, you don't have to pay for each game individually. Just play it and practice on it, it will make you a better player. Plus, you always have the buy in option if you want to continue a game you were doing well on.

#8 10 years ago

To me, the geometric structure (quadrilateral versus triangle) of the slings causes nudging to be less effective than most pins; the tops of the slings are slanted towards the in/outlanes rather than come to a point as in most pins. This makes for an extremely difficult game with wide open outlanes. Try the extenders if it makes you enjoy the game more (http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_36&products_id=306).

#9 10 years ago

The side drains definitely get easier as you get better on the game. You learn to keep your shots up the middle, where they need to be most of the time anyway.

For guests and noobs, they will struggle, but as I've owned the game a while, I get better and better on it and drain less.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

You'll learn to be smart with your shots and avoid trying to hit standup targets or anything that creates any side to side action as the slings are deadly.

+1

STTNG is a game that punishes you for flailing about. You must learn to keep the ball under control if you want to get really good at the game.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

To get the flow the game has to offer, you'll need to have some strong flippers. I would recommend the upgraded prototype ones from Pinball Life, it really made a big diffence in mine. Once you start nailing the delta ramp combos, you'll see why its a keeper.

I agree that you need strong flippers, but I much prefer the game with the regular coils. The prototype coils completely change the way the game plays, and not in a good way, IMHO.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Khan:

To me, the geometric structure (quadrilateral versus triangle) of the slings causes nudging to be less effective than most pins; the tops of the slings are slanted towards the in/outlanes rather than come to a point as in most pins. This makes for an extremely difficult game with wide open outlanes.

Actually I have a pretty good nudge-timing on STTNG that works well, especially on the right side. If you nudge right as the ball hits the top corner of the sling, it'll get a good bounce off the rubber and then bounce off the lower yellow stand up target rather than getting sucked right down the outlane.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I agree that you need strong flippers, but I much prefer the game with the regular coils. The prototype coils completely change the way the game plays, and not in a good way, IMHO.

There is a lot of real-estate on that playfield and I feel one of the reasons folks bash it for being clunky is that without the flippers having some punch, it does not traverse the loop or ramps fast enough and can leave that impression. For me, it sped the game up and gave it the flow I was looking for, it allowed me to get the delta combo more frequently and warp up more. Is it cheating? Perhaps but, I don't care about that, it makes the game a blast to play for me, and yes my game has great flow.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

+1
STTNG is a game that punishes you for flailing about. You must learn to keep the ball under control if you want to get really good at the game.

When I first saw the game I loved the way it looked (big Star Trek fan) I really wanted to like the game but didn't. I didn't know the rules. Really didn't get too far and didn't enjoy it. So I originally passed on buying it. After learning the rules playing a bit more I really began to see how good the game was (and bought one). My other game, TAF can be played by anyone without knowing the rules and get far enough to have it be fun.

#15 10 years ago

I was thinking about a Spiderman at some point but now hesitate given it's also a Ritchie game. Is SM as unforgiving?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Why would you do that? It goes from starting at Warp 4 to starting at Warp 2 after you have hit Warp 9. It isn't hard to get a single warp to get to Warp 2, no need to waste the skill shot on it. Get your extra ball and use light locks, since it lights and awards lock which is two shots to achieve in the game as opposed to start mission and a Warp 2 which are single shots. Borg multiball can be worth a ton of points, especially if you do it multiple times and hit the 3 cannon jackpots in a row at the start. Plus, if you do light lock 3 times, it will award light holodeck on the third time which is another artifact and 159 million if you do it the right away. And don't dumb the game down with stronger flippers and outlane extenders. You have it at home, you don't have to pay for each game individually. Just play it and practice on it, it will make you a better player. Plus, you always have the buy in option if you want to continue a game you were doing well on.

Let me re-phrase. Always start off a game with "Advance to Warp Factor 4" and get the extra ball right off the bat by hitting the 4 Warp shots. Once Warp Factor 8 (Extra Ball) is achieved it is no longer a viable start option. On subsequent balls I always pick "Light Lock" or light Holodeck and work towards Borg Multi-ball like Les said.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Let me re-phrase. Always start off a game with "Advance to Warp Factor 4" and get the extra ball right off the bat by hitting the 4 Warp shots. Once Warp Factor 8 (Extra Ball) is achieved it is no longer a viable start option. On subsequent balls I always pick "Light Lock" or light Holodeck and work towards Borg Multi-ball like Les said.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!change 2.JPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!change 2.JPG
#18 10 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

I was thinking about a Spiderman at some point but now hesitate given it's also a Ritchie game. Is SM as unforgiving?

Nah, Spidey's much easier to keep the ball in play. Normal sling shapes!

#19 10 years ago

I've had my sttng for about eight months now. I must say I love it and hate at the same time. Sometimes on the same ball. It is a very tough pin but when I have a great game it is the most satisfying pin I have. I tried the lane extenders but always felt like I was cheating. I actual found them not to be worth the change. With the extenders, once the ball gets to the outside of the extender it's a sure drain. With the original lanes, there is a chance that the ball will bounce inside. I really didn't see any difference in my scores with the extenders. I will also say, the borg multi ball is one of the coolest multi balls in pinball. The ball firing out of the borg ship is pretty exciting.

#20 10 years ago

Now that I have AC/DC, the outlanes seem friendly on STTNG. It is pretty easy to avoid the outlanes here by choosing your shots wisely.

#21 10 years ago

I have had my STTNG for 16yrs and I love it as much as the first day I got it. The drains can be frustrating but once you control your shots a lot better you will enjoy it even more.

#22 10 years ago

it is a game that requires discipline, and punishes random shooting around. it punishes inaccurate shooting too, but really it is a great game for teaching a wild player to choose their shots more thoughtfully.

#23 10 years ago

It was my first pin. I love it. Not leaving my collection. I highly recommend it.

#24 10 years ago

I am slowly getting the hang of it. Got 5+ billions on normal settings with nearly no idea of what exactly happened. ~5 millions the prior game and ~25 millions the game after.

The nudge to get the ball out of the sides is a must for sure.

I am going to post a question on how to mod to get led lighting in the gun feeding holes and the from rear scoop.

#25 10 years ago

Once you master the shots and layout, it is a long lasting great pin to play.

#26 10 years ago

I agree with all the positive statements, absolutely love my STTNG! Just today my heart nearly skipped a beat when i lost my third ball before i could start final frontier! Tough pin but extremely rewarding, having a lot of fun everytime i play!

#27 10 years ago

god i have lost my final ball so many times with Final Frontier lit. ugh i am cursed!

1 week later
#28 10 years ago

I've been offered SWE1 + $2000 for my nice STTNG.

Opinions on this potential trade?

#29 10 years ago

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

I hate SWE1. Price wise, ehhhh. I suppose SWE1 is a $2K-ish game, but I found it stupid easy. A nice DE Star Wars I would actually consider that trade.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Never.

Don't accept SWE1 as a trade for ANYTHING lol

#32 10 years ago

Why didn't your Borg ship award the locked balls for multi ball? It just kept kicking them out. Does your diverter not work?

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from CASTHOF:

Why didn't your Borg ship award the locked balls for multi ball? It just kept kicking them out. Does your diverter not work?

Uh... I don't know! Don't remember frankly. This video is a bit old & the machine is long gone. Will review the vid when I get time. It has over 3500 views & this is the first mention of a malfunction. You obviously know STTNG rules & play very well?!? Time marker when it didn't work properly please?

#34 10 years ago

The game is just plain awesomeness, I will likely be buried with mine.

#35 10 years ago

*edit* Was already addressed.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Just say no.

#37 10 years ago

Of all 6 of the sttng I've had through here , some are just way more brutal than others in the way of outlane drains. If its annoying you , get the extended outlanes from pinbits. I've had games that need this desperately and others that don't. (Mine turned out to need them). It won't eliminate outlane drains but it helps a little and may turn the frustration into fun.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from gameroomguru:

Uh... I don't know! Don't remember frankly. This video is a bit old & the machine is long gone. Will review the vid when I get time. It has over 3500 views & this is the first mention of a malfunction. You obviously know STTNG rules & play very well?!? Time marker when it didn't work properly please?

i watched through the first borg multiball and final frontier and it appeared to be working properly.

#39 10 years ago

14:20, you chose warp factor 4.. the light is lit for lock ball on the delta ramp, you made it into the borg ship. Instead of it awarding you a locked ball, it kicked it out. 15:25 same.

#40 10 years ago

I don't know anything more frustrating than seeing the ball sliding along the top of the slingshots for a sure drain in the middle of a decent game.

It's also pretty hard to nudge at the right time since the guns hide most of the action.

Action plan:

1- I got the extended line guides from pinbits.

2- I am going to change the older black slingshot rubbers I have for new white ones. Hopefully this will help with the nudging and make it easier to get the ball out of the deadly lower sides.

3- My lock bar is not tight against the cabinet, which hurts nudging. I will fix this.

4- For some reason, this game feels lower than others. This is the only game where I feel that I have to slightly bend down to help aiming. I am going to raise the game a bit and see if this helps.

In spite of the frustration, there is not question that STTNG is a game that force you to really pay attention. Every shot counts and I already see that it is going to make me a better player.

Short games are also not necessarily a bad thing.

#41 10 years ago

Putting white slingshot rubbers into that game will increase bounce and probably make the problem a ton worse. My suggestion:
1) put in the extended outlanes
2) fiddle with the kickback setting difficulty. At very easy its always on. Maybe move it one step easier from default.

You want the game to be hard but not frustrating.
Then another strategy you might try is using warp 4 for your skill shot and going for the warp 8 extra ball ASAP.

Lockdown bar is adjusted via the two screws on the lockdown assembly.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from CASTHOF:

14:20, you chose warp factor 4.. the light is lit for lock ball on the delta ramp, you made it into the borg ship. Instead of it awarding you a locked ball, it kicked it out. 15:25 same.

that's working as intended. it won't lock a ball on launch unless you actually choose "light lock" -- even if lock is already lit. works the same way on mine in the basement and on The Pinball Arcade app.

#43 10 years ago

Thanks for the pointers markmon.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

that's working as intended. it won't lock a ball on launch unless you actually choose "light lock" -- even if lock is already lit. works the same way on mine in the basement and on The Pinball Arcade app.

I guess I didn't make that clear enough. Even though he chose warp factor (which I know doesn't lock balls) when the ball came down the right loop and her made the delta shot, "lock ball" was lit, but was never rewarded, it just shot out of the Borg ship. Watch the video again. I can't believe I'm the only one who noticed this.

#45 10 years ago

The only time the ball should shoot out I the Borg ship is during a multiball.

#46 10 years ago

I wouldn't switch the rubber, I think it's a bit much, but more bounce on STTNG makes it easier. Your only play in that area is to bounce the ball out completely. The top of the slingshot is angled in, but the kickback targets above it are angled out.

Your best play is to nudge forward when the ball hits the top of the sling, bounce off the kickback targets and then back into the middle.

I just picked one up, shopped it out, and now that it plays much faster, it's actually easier manly because it's easier to bounce the ball out of that area. I'm killing my high scores from when the game was slow. This is also due to the ball sailing around the orbit making the gamma ramp easier.

My 2 cents.

Quoted from markmon:

Putting white slingshot rubbers into that game will increase bounce and probably make the problem a ton worse.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from CASTHOF:

I guess I didn't make that clear enough. Even though he chose warp factor (which I know doesn't lock balls) when the ball came down the right loop and her made the delta shot, "lock ball" was lit, but was never rewarded, it just shot out of the Borg ship. Watch the video again. I can't believe I'm the only one who noticed this.

oh, up the delta ramp! yeah you are right. i only watched the launch when you cited it. but yeah -- the delta ramp's lock is lit and he makes the shot but the borg ship shoots it out. that is weird.

#48 10 years ago

Yeah I just watched it and CASTHOF is right. It should not be shooting out of the borg ship. I always thought they should have made the borg ship more interactive like that rather than only during multiball. He must have had a ball locked in the ship and the diverter wasn't working so it was kicking out the first....or it was just not locking it and kept kicking it out. Either way it was not working properly.

#49 10 years ago

I had the playfield up last night and I was wondering how to light up the gun feeder holes. No response to my post http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-gun-feeder-hole-lighting.

Anyone has done this before? I have not even taken the whole thing apart yet but it does not look trivial. One possible alley is to put a couple of ultra bright 180 degrees flexible led lights under the playfield in the corners of the square VUK chimney so they don't get hit by the ball.

2 weeks later
#50 10 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

I had the playfield up last night and I was wondering how to light up the gun feeder holes. No response to my post http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-gun-feeder-hole-lighting.
Anyone has done this before? I have not even taken the whole thing apart yet but it does not look trivial. One possible alley is to put a couple of ultra bright 180 degrees flexible led lights under the playfield in the corners of the square VUK chimney so they don't get hit by the ball.

In case someone is interested:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-gun-feeder-hole-lighting#post-1412368

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 63.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.99
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-first-impressions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.