(Topic ID: 99112)

STTNG Drop target not working right, Need Help.

By Boatshoe

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pezpunk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Boatshoe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi all, My Drop target seems to have a mind of its own when I start a new ball.

For example, when launching a ball and selecting "Warp 4" the drop target will rise, get hit by the ball, go down, but will not go up again. This happens about 2 out of every 3 balls. This happens on all launch ball modes, Drop target always goes down for starting something, but only goes back up about 60% of the time.

I know the problem is not switch related, because I removed the switch from the equation. The only things I can think of at this point are a bad solder joint or that the problem is a transistor on circuit board.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

I should mention that everything works 100% in test mode, up solenoid, down solenoid, and the switch.

#5 9 years ago

Even though the switch worked perfect in testing, I physically disconnected it from the drop target (still connected electrically) so that when the drop target dropped it would not hit the switch. On ball launch the ball would hit the target, dropping it, and then it would pop back up as it is supposed to. The problem is that it won't pop up consistently. It popped up some of the time, but not all of the time.

Just to be safe I also replaced the switch with a new switch and reconnected it physically and electrically. It tests 100% fine, triggers on and off when the drop goes up and down.

The problem remains.

#7 9 years ago

Ok, I went into switch edge test and tested every switch. There were no double switch activations.

I also played a couple games. Drop target would come up sometimes, and not other times. When it did not come up when it was supposed to I immediately opened the door and checked the switch edge and it showed that the drop switch was triggered corrrectly.

I also did a full 5 circuits of solenoid activation in test mode and the drop came up and went down perfectly every circuit.

Anyone?

#8 9 years ago

Unless the problem is a bad solder joint on the drop up coil, I'd really prefer not messing with those 3 purple wires.

#11 9 years ago

Target is flush and reset plate is good. Just played a few more tests of just ball launches. The drop target does appear to do *something* after it is hit by the ball.

All I can tell is the drop target moves, It moves by about 2 millimeters. It could even be the drop down solenoid hitting the target, but if it is the drop up solenoid it is not trying very hard. I guess it is time to put a camera in the cabinet to see what is really going on.

When I start a ball the target pops up 100% of the time. It is after that when the problem starts.

#12 9 years ago

Schwaggs, When I installed the new switch this weekend I made the mistake of leaving the microswitch length too long. When the drop target was UP, the up solenoid plate would fall because of gravity, and it would hit the drop target micro switch. At that point the up solenoid would go nuts and keep trying to go up over and over.

I am not sure how this software works. When the solenoid is supposed to be down for a first shot is always goes down. When it is supposed to come up for a first shot it always comes up. When the drop is up and is hit that initial time it is supposed to pop back up immediately. I think it is a one time signal in the software. I really don't know.

I have to go to work, will check more tonight. Thanks for the suggestions!

#14 9 years ago

I understand if say lock was lit, or holodeck was lit the drop should be down. I think that is what you are talking about. Correct?

My testing was just launching ball after ball, so it always should have come back up. If I launch ball 1 it should come back up for me to hit to light the lock. I wasn't actually playing the machine. I did it so much I had a bunch of switch errors on start up from lack of use, including the flipper buttons!

After doing all these tests an opto started freaking out, and I just had to put the whole thing aside. When it works, I love this game. It is a fantastic game, but it has given me more issues than all of the rest of my pins combined.

I'll go back to it in a couple days. Thanks again.

#17 9 years ago

Well.... hahaha. That behavior makes no sense to me, but thank you guys for the heads up.

I think both your games are broken.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 64.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 15.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Boatshoe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-drop-target-behavior-problems-not-switch-related?tu=Boatshoe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.