Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Lostcause
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I had one random reset in the middle of a game the other day, and now I can replicate it 100% of the time. It *ONLY* happens when I hit both flipper buttons simulatenously. When a flipper is hit individually, there's the slightest of luminance drop on the playfield lights, but I've noticed that on plenty of other pins.

I looked under the hood and noticed that the right primary flipper coil only had 1 diode on it (between the blue/violet and blue/yellow wired lugs -- common and large winding). I was like bazinga, and went ahead and the lone diode and added two new ones. No change. Wall voltage is a generous 121VAC.

I'm going to begin the journey through the PinWiki reset section, but I was wondering if there was something my symptom points toward. I have not had nor can produce a reset any other way. I was for sure the lack of a diode would have caused it, although I suppose it should have tripped that problem earlier.

#2 9 years ago

It's a STTNG, those and TZ are always resetting. (actually most WPC's now that they are all 20+ years old)

For a quick fix pull the cables off of the Z-connector and reseat them. This sometimes helps in the short term. Long term you need to rebuild the 5V power supply (bridge, cap, regulator, jumper wires on back of board, molex connectors, and the resistor mod if you want). Or you can try one of the new reset daughter boards.

#3 9 years ago

Checking the wall voltage first was smart as that's often overlooked.

Often games with 3 or more flippers reset like this because of bad power connections. I've had this happen to both STTNG and TZ. I re pinned the connectors at J102 and J103 and it took care of the issue 100% both times. It's a pain in the butt the first time you do the loops the first time, but you'll get the hang of it.

Both times the connectors looked good upon visual inspection but we're really brittle once I pulled them and inspected more closely. I'd try this before springing for the daughter board.

#4 9 years ago

Daughter board fixed my WCS when it was doing this. 5 minute fix.

#5 9 years ago

I've soldered everything on these games, and repinned more than my fair share of burnt GI connectors. I just hate having to remove a bazillion connectors to get the power driver board off.
Sigh.

$10 says as soon as I get my TAF set up it'll do the same damn thing.

I'll check the bridge rectifier, caps, and reg. too. Someone needs a cheap "kit" to swap these out so you don't have to go sourcing part #s.

#6 9 years ago

Do the easy stuff first. www.pinwiki.com

#7 9 years ago

15,000 uf 35V radial cap
30 amp 200V Bridge
LM323K Voltage regulator
11 ohm 1/2 watt resistor (for resistor mod)
2 pcs each 7 Pin Molex Connector, Male and Female (total 4 pcs)
7 pin Z- Connector
6 inches of 18-20 gauge wire

GPE has all the parts.

#8 9 years ago

http://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html

I HATE hacks, but this looks more like a solution. I value my time and even undervaluing it at $20 an hour, this card is cheaper than the diagnostic time alone for all the possible reset causes, let alone parts.

Tough call. I'm willing to bet that aging caps and a stressed rectifier are more likely the culprit than tarnished pin headers in terms of voltage loss -- and those should be swapped regardless.

I'll report back with my findings.

#9 9 years ago

The daughter board solved a similar problem on my TZ. No issues in 6 months since I installed.

3 months later
#10 9 years ago

I guess I should follow-up with this. Reset reproducable on double-flip on the first try every time.

AC voltage: 120
TP 2: 5.02V
BR 2 voltage test: 9.5V

Took off the board:
Tested BR1/BR2 in diode mode. All passed with .5 to .7V although you can tell both had been replaced at some point.
Tested C4 and C5 with an ESR. Both tested as new.
Reflowed solder to some questionable re-work areas, but no cracks evident.

Put the board back in stumped... no resets.

However, when I do press both flippers, the illumination dims slightly (all LED'd). I've noticed this pretty much on every game I've owned and wondered if there's a way to mitigate it?

#11 9 years ago

Repin the connector that brings power to this board. Had a TZ project that had the same issues as yours and pepino get stopped the resets and I rarely noticed dimming of lights. Kind of a pain to do the loops, but worth it.

STTNG has a lot going on. You could have 4 or 5 coils firing at the same time. A better connection at the pins will help.

#12 9 years ago

Lol, just realized I made the same post a couple repays back. Seriously, do it.

1 week later
#13 9 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

http://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html

I HATE hacks, but this looks more like a solution.

Did you try one of my daughterboards? Even if someone derisively calls it a hack, show me another that can be "un-done" as easily as it was "done". Call it a banana if you want; if it works, it's a banana that works.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

4 years later
#14 4 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

Did you try one of my daughterboards? Even if someone derisively calls it a hack, show me another that can be "un-done" as easily as it was "done". Call it a banana if you want; if it works, it's a banana that works.
-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

Hello, does this solve the problem or must it first be solved and then add the daughterboard.
Thanks!

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

Hello, does this solve the problem or must it first be solved and then add the daughterboard.
Thanks!

It solves the 5v reset problem without any other work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 63.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-double-flipper-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.