• Latest reply 10 years ago by floyd1977
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rats-764.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I haven't spent enough time playing this game on machines other than my own to know the answer to this. On Pinball Arcade, if you hit the Delta Quadrant ramp strong enough to get past the wire form, but not quite hard enough to get up the hump into the Borg Ship for a locked ball, the ball will roll down into the wire form. On my game, it always keeps rolling past and back down the Delta Ramp.

Also, if I connect the right side of the ramp to the Borg Ship with the two screws, I have to lift it just enough for the screws to hold the ramp. If I lift the ramp all the way so that the screws fit into the grooves, then the diverter won't clear the opening in the ramp. I think that's why when I bought it, the previous owner just left it disconnected and let it float. Even if I do that, the ball will still roll back onto the Delta Ramp.

So, I'm thinking my whole ramp is out of alignment. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

I was wondering whether my table wasn't pitched steep enough. If I measure near the flippers (glass off), I get about 6.8 degrees. Near the Alpha Ramp/Start Mission, I get about 6.2.

#3 10 years ago

It is a difficult shot, if the flipper is a bit weak (even a bit dirty between plunger and coilsleeve is enough) it has difficulties going up that ramp. Directly behind the diverter the ramp raises a little bit making that shot harder.

First thing to check: manually throw the ball over the ramp and see how the diverter works.
Perhaps there is something slowing down the ball. For this shot everything needs to be perfect.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks, Richard. I had previously changed out the coil sleeve which did make the shot much easier (the old coil sleeve was brittle, dirty and well stuck inside the coil).

I'm not really complaining about the difficulty of the shot. My concern was when the ball falls just short of the Borg ship, whether the ball should roll down the wire form between the Delta ramp and the Borg ship (as on Pinball Arcade), or whether it should roll back down the Delta ramp (as it does on mine).

Not a big deal. Just something I noticed. I can get a bit obsessive with tweaking/tuning. A fellow Pinsider lives in my neighborhood and just got this game himself, and he said his behaves the same as mine (whether that is correct or not).

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

On Pinball Arcade, if you hit the Delta Quadrant ramp strong enough to get past the wire form, but not quite hard enough to get up the hump into the Borg Ship for a locked ball, the ball will roll down into the wire form.

That's because video pinball doesn't always get it right.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

whether the ball should roll down the wire form between the Delta ramp and the Borg ship (as on Pinball Arcade), or whether it should roll back down the Delta ramp (as it does on mine).

On mine it follows the wire ramp. Almost never back down the ramp.

#7 10 years ago

follows the wireform for me too... never back down the ramp.
Also, maybe check how your Borg ship is mounted... maybe the ship is slightly high causing the ramp to be uneven ?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

Also, maybe check how your Borg ship is mounted... maybe the ship is slightly high causing the ramp to be uneven ?

Thanks. I seem to recall there's not much room for moving it up or down, unless the metal is bent or something (certainly possible).

Quoted from spidey:

That's because video pinball doesn't always get it right.

Yeah, I considered that and was hoping that was the case

#9 10 years ago

wow, I had no idea it was supposed to go down the wireform and not all the way back down the ramp! I've been working on and playing this game a ton for 13 years haha.

#10 10 years ago

Mine also comes down the wireform in this case, not all the way back down the ramp.

#11 10 years ago

A few thoughts about my experience with the Delta Quadrant ramp:

1. I initially had the machine at about 7 degrees near the flippers and then went to around 6.5 degrees. Readings in the upper part of the playfield were around 1 degree less than at the flippers. Changing the pitch didn't seem to affect the Delta Quadrant ramp shot for me.

2. The Delta Quadrant ramp shot is hard. I have to hit it just right to make the ramp. I occasionally get the ball rolling back down the ramp. The upper flipper seems strong but maybe it's time for a rebuild.

3. I'm rarely able to lock a ball in the Borg ship because when I do make the ramp shot, the diverter usually sends the ball down the wireform. This leads to credit dots since I'm not triggering the Borg lock ever. I'm not sure what the rules are for when the diverter is active vs. when it will let a ball into the Borg ship.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballYeti:

I'm not sure what the rules are for when the diverter is active vs. when it will let a ball into the Borg ship.

During multiball you get superjackpot. And when the ramp-lock is lit it's also possible to enter the borg ship.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

I checked this, and there is no room at all for adjustment in the Borg ship mounting bracket. There would have to be a lot of room there to make a difference. This is really bugging the crap out of me. What stinks is you don't get credit for a ball lock when it rolls back down the Delta ramp (you do if it comes down the wireform).

I've tried adjusting the ramp. I've tried removing the hex post that holds up the wireform and putting a little force on the wireform to angle it down. Nothing seems to slow down the momentum of the ball enough for it to come down the wireform.

Oh well. Thanks for the suggestions. For those of you with the same issue, let me know if you find a solution.

#14 10 years ago

If it makes it to the top the diverter sends it down the wireform, if it is open it loads the Borg.
The only reason it should come back down the ramp is if it is a weak shot that doesn't make it to the diverter.
Check your diverter to see if it is sticky or out of adjustment and also your right upper flipper.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

The only reason it should come back down the ramp is if it is a weak shot that doesn't make it to the diverter.

Well, the ramp is still going up after the diverter. So if the diverter is going to the Borg, the ball enters that small inclination, perhaps does not make it, falls back, and then it either goes to the wire ramp, or back down the delta quadrant ramp.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Richard_BoK:

Well, the ramp is still going up after the diverter. So if the diverter is going to the Borg, the ball enters that small inclination, perhaps does not make it, falls back, and then it either goes to the wire ramp, or back down the delta quadrant ramp.

Yes. That is exactly what is happening. The diverter works fine. Since I rebuilt the upper flipper, this doesn't even happen that often since I am usually able to strike the ball well enough to get it into the Borg ship.

Still bugs me though

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-delta-quadrant-ramp-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.