Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ksmmspt
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Help, as soon as I turn on my STTNG it kicks out a ball and lunches it into the top. Then pops it up through the left kicker back into the trough. And it just keeps cycling a ball through the game over and over and over.

Its always done this when the game was turned on and then also every now and again in attract but never over and over again. Also I cant get a game started unless im able to hit the start button at the exact second that ball is in the trough. Where should I start looking to correct this? It cant be a setting right? I have only the six ball required. There arent any issues recognized in test mode so Im kinda lost.

Thanks

#2 4 years ago

My machine did same thing and i had a bad wiring connection at the ball trough opto board. If you look at them when the machine is turned on wiggle the harness and see if the status lights go out. Mine did and all I had to do was repair connector wiring. Or you can do switch test and see what is missing ball wise in trough or in the other optos that hold balls under playfield on left side of machine in the middle.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Loganpinball:

My machine did same thing and i had a bad wiring connection at the ball trough opto board. If you look at them when the machine is turned on wiggle the harness and see if the status lights go out. Mine did and all I had to do was repair connector wiring. Or you can do switch test and see what is missing ball wise in trough or in the other optos that hold balls under playfield on left side of machine in the middle.

So I went back into the single test and all six are the same when the balls are out and all six are the same when the balls are in but the trough up doesn’t change. But would that one change? Also it looks like the red leds are lit up on the trough boards?

#4 4 years ago

So be sure to check the divertors in the subway to see if the coils are firing. It sounds like maybe the one that diverts a ball to the right side of the subway isn't working properly. If the coil isn't firing during coil test, be sure to check to see if the tieback mod has been done.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from ksmmspt:

So be sure to check the divertors in the subway to see if the coils are firing. It sounds like maybe the one that diverts a ball to the right side of the subway isn't working properly. If the coil isn't firing during coil test, be sure to check to see if the tieback mod has been done.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation

Well that’s interesting. I checked and the top diverter cool is not working. Why would the top diverter be causing it to eject and launch balls repeatedly is there always a ball over in the right side? I then started a game and started battle simulation and the right cannon won’t load. The up kick works and the cannon fires but apparently the upper diverter isn’t working. Crazy

#6 4 years ago

Not crazy, if the balls do not get loaded in the correct order, the machine will continue to try and stage 3 balls.
With a diverter not working, it can't position the balls correctly.
To verify, you don't have a optic problem take all balls out of the game, drop a ball down each (3) kickouts.
put the last 3 back in the trough.
Turn on game, It should be set and not cycle.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:Not crazy, if the balls do not get loaded in the correct order, the machine will continue to try and stage 3 balls.
With a diverter not working, it can't position the balls correctly.
To verify, you don't have a optic problem take all balls out of the game, drop a ball down each (3) kickouts.
put the last 3 back in the trough.
Turn on game, It should be set and not cycle.

Correct, this is not crazy and will absolutely happen if your diverter isn't working. Fix the root cause of that and you'll almost certainly fix your staging / ball cycling problem. Personally I'd start with the simple stuff and make sure it's not just a broken wire at the diverter coil

#8 4 years ago

Most likely the tie back wire has broken off, and a transistor on the secondary board has fried, which toasted the coil. Extremely common.

Here is a good tread about modding the connection, and links to more info on it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-tieback

#9 4 years ago

Could also be as simple as the diverters themselves have never been cleaned and the original grease has dried and hardened preventing them from working.

#10 4 years ago

Both posts #8 and #9 have happened to me at different times. The first was the divertor grease seizing up. Then later the tieback problem arose as I didn't find that the tieback was ever done correctly. Fried a component on the auxilliary driver board which I had to send out for repairs. So check to see if the tieback was ever done and do that for sure. And check the divertors and make sure they move easily and freely.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
$ 63.95
$ 85.00
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-cycling-ball-through-game?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.