Topic poll

“Which looks better?”

• Apron 2 8 votes
    27%
  • Apron 3 22 votes
    73%

(30 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Apron (resized).png
IMG_2406 (resized).JPG
20170404_203057 (resized).jpg
20170404_203125 (resized).jpg
20170404_203108 (resized).jpg
20170324_063435 (resized).jpg
20170308_194656 (resized).jpg
20170308_194516 (resized).jpg
20170308_194336 (resized).jpg
STTNG-APRON-3-STARS (resized).jpg
star-trek-impress-05 (resized).jpg
star-trek-impress-04 (resized).jpg
STTNG-APRON-3 (resized).jpg
STTNG-APRON-2 (resized).jpg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Hi Guys, I am working on making a custom apron for my STTNG, and have 2 designs that I am going between. Just like the one you can buy from Europe I would put in some colored inserts and back-light it with LEDs. Please let me know which you think looks better, or what you would change.

I was trying to incorporate the stars that you find though-out the playfield instead of using 2 star trek symbols. Thought it would be cool to have the enterprise over the ball launch instead of a sticker. Also couldn't decide between centering the text on the main body of the apron, or under the flipper opening...

Apron 2:STTNG-APRON-2 (resized).jpg I would try to put the sticker back on the upper left.

Apron 3:STTNG-APRON-3 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Apron 3 looks better to me.
The cutouts are more spread out.

Looks Great!

#3 2 years ago

I like three best...Not sure but might look good with two stars close together at an 45 degree angle on the right under the starfleet insignia.

#4 2 years ago

I like 2. Reason:

My eye went from left to right and spotted the Starfleet logo first, as opposed to the weird starfield thing...

#5 2 years ago

I have the Illuminated Apron from Germany in mine. Personally I prefer a symmetrical design. As in Insignia on each side or Star etc with a centered logo. That is one thing that bugs me with my apron is that it isn't centered with the flippers. #3 I like how the star fills that larger space to allow a centered logo. Otherwise, being able to add NOS Williams decals for the upper portion of the apron is nice.

Your Shooter cover is awesome, I really wish mine had that detail, looks really nice. Are you going to use EL paper? Heads up, I experienced an issue with the converters for EL Paper when hooked up to J116-J118. It will blow F116 if you have a colorDMD already feeding off the main power supply, so either need to add a 3rd party power supply adapter, use an external power supply, or boost your fuse up by 1.

#6 2 years ago

Three is the one I'd go with. It just looks more balanced.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Are you going to use EL paper? Heads up, I experienced an issue with the converters for EL Paper when hooked up to J116-J118. It will blow F116 if you have a colorDMD already feeding off the main power supply, so either need to add a 3rd party power supply adapter, use an external power supply, or boost your fuse up by 1.

Was planning on using colored acrylic and LED strips, didn't realize the other one had EL paper. Is it just 2-sided taped under there?

#8 2 years ago

Thanks for the comments and votes so far.

The other thing I didn't mention in the first post is that this apron is going to sit higher than the original in the machine, and match the angle the glass sits at. That will allow the chromed ball defector to be removed, more like the the apron in Sega and Stern games, I personally just think it looks cleaner.

#9 2 years ago

I like two because it incorporates and area for the scorecard. If that was the one I was going with, I might also do a cutout for the card as well so you could make it illuminated.

#10 2 years ago

I prefer 2. Too much symmetry is boring to the eye.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

Was planning on using colored acrylic and LED strips, didn't realize the other one had EL paper. Is it just 2-sided taped under there?

EL Paper is the way to go. You can really do some neat stuff, cut it to any shape for example.. But all they did was tape it down on the other side. However the tape they used is super strong.

#12 2 years ago

I like the three.
Can it be with some colour different than the black?For me it not match with the cabinet and the playfield colours.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

I prefer 2. Too much symmetry is boring to the eye.

Sloth from The Goonies loves you...

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

Can it be with some colour different than the black?For me it not match with the cabinet and the playfield colours.

I would stick to black for sure. It's a very dark space theme and the basic color of cab & PF is black, so it fits in perfectly.

When lighted it will have enough color, i guess it will look quite similar to the pinball dreams apron.

star-trek-impress-04 (resized).jpg

star-trek-impress-05 (resized).jpg

#15 2 years ago

3 is may favorite so far. When can I buy and test the beta?

#16 2 years ago

Option 3 has the best proportional layout. It will look great backlit. You could get a different look by adding diiferent colored plastic behind it ,in certain areas creating different colors in different areas. Let's say blue for " Star Trek" and purple or white for the stars...etc You get the idea. This way you can just backlight in white without using a bunch of colored leds. Kind of like using colored inserts of your choice. Just thinking out of the box and throwing some ideas around.

#17 2 years ago

Here is what I ended up with, after staring at it I decided I didn't like the Star trek symbol, and since the apron itself isn't symmetrical anything symmetrical in the upper 'triangles' didn't look right to me. So I did another starfield, and then strategically placed 4 of the small stars on the left side so an instruction card could be placed there if desired. I also had to move the Enterprise to the left to get it over the ball. On to finding some EL panels to light this thing!!
STTNG-APRON-3-STARS (resized).jpg

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

Just thinking out of the box and throwing some ideas around.

So basically exactly like the apron pictured 2 posts above yours, blue for Star Trek, white for the emblem?

Sorry, couldn't help it...

#19 2 years ago

The last one looks the best for me.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

Here is what I ended up with, after staring at it I decided I didn't like the Star trek symbol, and since the apron itself isn't symmetrical anything symmetrical in the upper 'triangles' didn't look right to me. So I did another starfield, and then strategically placed 4 of the small stars on the left side so an instruction card could be placed there if desired. I also had to move the Enterprise to the left to get it over the ball. On to finding some EL panels to light this thing!!

Thats awesome. Put me on the pre-order list!

1 week later
#21 2 years ago

A few test fit pictures with the prototype piece (before powder-coat). White EL panel hasn't arrived yet for the lower lettering, but the blue looks great!

I have to move a few of the mounting holes and the left star pattern for my final piece.

Once complete the apron will sit at the same angle as the glass instead of the angle of the original apron.
20170308_194336 (resized).jpg
20170308_194516 (resized).jpg
20170308_194656 (resized).jpg

#22 2 years ago

Definitely need this!

1 week later
#23 2 years ago

Final design laser cut and waiting for paint: 20170324_063435 (resized).jpg

#24 2 years ago

Nice work....Keen to see the finished product. Might be interested.

#25 2 years ago

Still waiting for powder-coat & the second EL panel to arrive, but put color change lighting into the stars on the prototype while I'm waiting.

#26 2 years ago

Are you going to chrome plate it or powdercoat it ? Illusion Blue perhaps ?

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

Are you going to chrome plate it or powdercoat it ? Illusion Blue perhaps ?

Since it would be very difficult to get most people to agree on a color I plan on offering 2 options:

1-Black licorice wrinkle powder coating
2-Raw steel - paint/plate/powdercoat it to your own liking

With such a dark playfield, I don't know if many people would want super shinny, but it could be made chromed as you mentioned.

1 week later
#28 2 years ago

Here it is, back from powder-coat and with both EL panels installed. Just waiting on 1 more part and these will be ready!!!
Unlit:20170404_203108 (resized).jpg
Lit:20170404_203057 (resized).jpg
Close up of the powder-coat:20170404_203125 (resized).jpg

#29 2 years ago

Can't wait to get mine!!

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

Here it is, back from powder-coat and with both EL panels installed. Just waiting on 1 more part and these will be ready!!!
Unlit:
Lit:
Close up of the powder-coat:

Are you not EL papering the stars?

#31 2 years ago

Damn it, why must I be broke. Having to send the government their money. I hope you offer another run later. Pat you do great work for all our games thank you for what you do.

#32 2 years ago

That looks fantastic, if you have any extras available or do a second run, please let me know!

#33 2 years ago

Steve Richie signed my apron so I guess I'll have to stick with the original.

#34 2 years ago

really interested. Add me to your list!

#35 2 years ago

I'm in as well....

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Are you not EL papering the stars?

rubberducks - please take a look at the videos on post #25. The stars are going to be back-lit with Comet color change LEDs to give a nebula effect. Plus EL paper isn't the cheapest stuff.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

rubberducks - please take a look at the videos on post #25. The stars are going to be back-lit with Comet color change LEDs to give a nebula effect. Plus EL paper isn't the cheapest stuff.

Ah, had forgotten that.

#38 2 years ago

I'm excited for you to take my money!! Can't wait!

#39 2 years ago

Any idea on what the final price point will be.
Looking very good.

1 week later
#40 2 years ago

I will have a few of these aprons ready to sell next week. PM me if interested.

#41 2 years ago

Got mine yesterday!! Looks awesome! Can't wait to get my game done and get this installed.

#42 2 years ago

Got mine yesterday as well, haven't even opened the box yet.... but this weekend, can't wait to tear my STTNG apart. ColorDMD and the new apron!!

knockerlover we gotta do the STTNG podcast episode, get that thing put back together!

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Got mine yesterday as well, haven't even opened the box yet.... but this weekend, can't wait to tear my STTNG apart. ColorDMD and the new apron!!

knockerlover we gotta do the STTNG podcast episode, get that thing put back together!

Not to hijack PT's thread too much, but I'm waiting on Chrome parts from Hot-Rod Arcade.. I may have to put STTNG back in storage, and pull the Genie out.. doesn't look like they will get here anytime soon.

1 week later
#44 2 years ago

Sat in the box for a couple weeks because of newborn, but finally cracked open a couple beers and got this installed last night. It's amazing! Thanks so much Paul for an awesome mod!!

IMG_2406 (resized).JPG

#45 2 years ago

So pretty. love it great job Paul.

#46 2 years ago

How much are these and where can I buy one?

2 weeks later
#48 2 years ago

Put mine on last night and it looks Awesome!!!! Very straightforward installation with great instructions (lots of pictures). Thanks Paul!!

1 week later
#49 2 years ago

I finally got around to installing my apron over the weekend. For those of you who are on the fence about it, just get it. It is absolutely stunning, extremely well built, and the installation instructions and options are literally the best I've seen for a mod.

4 months later
#50 2 years ago

My TNG is a 220volt model, but somehow works on 110? Will this work? Not sure how to test the voltage to see what I actually have available.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside