Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So i needed to replace my Mission Start scoop(tacs were all busted) and found the only way was to take off the subway. Okay whatever, not a big deal.

I take if off and notice it is cracked. Awesome, not surprised with how the balls hit the back, but a bummer none the less.

It essentially looks like this (this guy cleaned his, got the picture from pinside). http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/?bb_attachments=468701&bbat=50339&inline

Now, How would I bond that crack the best? Superglue? JB Weld?

Lastly, I have the guards from mantis amusements as seen here. http://www.mantisamusements.com/sttngunderkit.htm

Would it still be advisable to stick a small piece of foam behind the guards once they are installed and taped in? I only ask because with the existing crack the integrity has been compromised.

My friend suggests I just buy a new subway, but I think that is overkill at this point. Agreed?

Anyways though I would ask for some second opinions. If I am over worrying and these metal brackets will sufficiently hold with simply the tape, feel free to let me know.

#2 11 years ago

Buy a new one.

#3 11 years ago

a thirty minute epoxy will hold it forever. It's the subway, so looks are not paramount. Rough up the plastic where you apply the epoxy first.

#4 11 years ago

Not STTNG, but i had a subway ramp in cyclone that was broke in half. I used drywall mesh to cover the break, and a highend epoxy to glue it (Crack and mesh to the outside of the ramp). The thing will never break again. Since its under the playfield, you cant see it anyway.

Just a thought.

#5 11 years ago

Mine was cracked in a few places and just ended up superglueing some plastic to the cracked areas to reinforce it. I dont think it would ever be necessary to just fully replace it unless the thing disintegrated in your hands when you took it off!

#6 11 years ago

haha no, it's off i just have to wash it clean and fix the crack before I install the guards.

http://www.pmhobbycraft.ca/PRO-EPOXY-30-MIN-FORMULA-4-OZ-GPMR6043/

Would that be an alright epoxy to try?

Also agreed completely, I don't really care what it looks like as long as it holds.

Lastly I saw somewhere about ambroid for plastic cracks(drilling out where the crack ends and filling it). Is this an option? Testors plastic cement is all I can use at the moment though as no where in the city is ambroid stocked.

#7 11 years ago

Fender repair kit. Fiberglass mesh and goop.

You can make it look good.

Works great.

LTG : )

#8 11 years ago

I've reinforced the sides of the trough with duct tape. I wrapped a single piece all the way around the end adequately past the crack on both sides. If it doesn't hold for some reason, or holds up for some time before it fails, it can always be replaced.

Mike O.

#9 11 years ago

Boris, why don't you just sell the machine to me, and it will then be my problem. I can pick it up in two days.

Dave

#10 11 years ago

I epoxied mine a year ago,No problems since.

#11 11 years ago

I second the fiberglass mesh and epoxy method. Very strong repair and can't be seen under the playfield.

No reason at all to replace those; easy fix.

RM

#12 11 years ago

Model glue wont work as it is for polystyrene. I think the ramps are acrylic petg or similar. It will just goop on the surface.

#13 11 years ago

I used fiberglass resin and mat on mine it sticks and is as hard as a rock.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Model glue wont work as it is for polystyrene. I think the ramps are acrylic petg or similar. It will just goop on the surface.

okay sounds good, just wanted to see whether it was suggested or not. Since its completely out of sight, i don't care how ugly the fix looks. Epoxy it is.

Quoted from krusty_tc:

Boris, why don't you just sell the machine to me, and it will then be my problem. I can pick it up in two days.
Dave

Haha, I don't think so. Check your PM's, I sent you a message a bit ago. P.S. This is the most minor issue i've had so far. I've put a lot of work into it since the last guy owned it. This thing is looking better every day.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will pick up some epoxy sometime soon.

#15 11 years ago

Ambroid Pro Weld works awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 15.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-cracked-subway-how-to-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.