• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by GPS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 6.44.27 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GeekedOnPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

So I just got my Star Trek next generation two weeks ago and we love it. I decided to open it up and clean up the playfield a bit and replace the dull balls. I opened up the back box just to take a look because I have not really looked inside of it since purchasing it. I also looked inside of the cabinet and slightly lift up the playfield to see what the flipper coils look like.

Then I put the game back together and now it constantly ejects balls. It has an error saying check switch 32, 33, 34, 36, and 37.

I have no idea what I did wrong as I’ve cleaned all of my other pinball machines before and never had something like this happen. I only clean the play field and in the back box I looked at things but I didn’t unhook anything. I don’t understand what I did wrong and I’m hoping someone can give me a tip about where to start looking.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

What switches are those? Check the switch matrix found on the inside back page of your manual.

It says ‘under L Gun sw2’ and ,under R gun sw2’ and ‘right gun shooter’, ‘under lgun sw1’ and ‘under rgun sw1’ are the switches.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

With STTNG thier is so many wires and so many boards with connectors when you lift the playfield up depending on how much work been done under there in the past several years sometimes tecks do not zip tie or put them back the same and things get snagged on the bottom Speaker or Side inside hinges ,even on Fliptronics at Flipper buttons / i also recommend never lifting a STTNG playfield up while powered on or without removing all the balls .
Chances are a connector or wire broke and only you know the extent you went through lifting it up and tinkering in the backbox. Just back step your tracks and look for the obvious loose or non connected items

Thanks to everyone for the information and tips. I have been in my stern machines a lot but this STTNG is a whole new crazy complicated thing. I really appreciate everyone taking time to help me. I plan to spend some time tracing this wire back from the CPU since staring at the crazy wires under the playfield hasn't helped (the colors seemed dulled) but I did find it in the J207 pin 3.

I will look at the cannon looms as that seems to be what gun 1 and gun 2 are so I bet that's it.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

It sure if this will help but when I had my STTNG, I was always Avery cautious around the two rotating guns that shoot the ball. These have wiring harness’ related to them and over time they can break. Not sure if this is even in the right ball park as to what may have happened but I recall being keely aware if those harness’ for this reason.
Most important, don’t lose too much sleep over it. sTTNG is a very complicated game. IMO one of the most complicated Williams made and with this comes issues like you’re dealing with. Hang tough and you’ll get through this

Thanks particularly for this... I have tinkered with my games but I'm very much still learning. It was a bummer to break our families new favorite pin. I bought a project T2 to learn on... Now to fix this beauty.

#13 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the help. I had a broken wire on the left cannon. I also had a problem with my diverter not functioning properly and a board that someone had hacked up a bit. I have a great Pinball genius in the bay area and this felt over my head while still learning (Plus I was getting some crap from my teenager for breaking our new favorite game lol) I am glad I called him out because he went through it and assessed it and tuned it up and told me a lot about the machine.. The good news is he said that I have one of the nicer playfields and he doesn’t know how they got it so shiny. It seems unusually clean on the board under things where it would normally be dirty so I’m wondering if it was ever shopped. They used a lot of flex LEDs to control the brightness of them. I think I’m going to be adding an OCDLED board. He said its in good condition and has had a decent amount of good work done to it and everything else was OK except this one board he had to repair. He did say he didn’t care for the rotten dog boards that were installed in that he’d rather they were original. It’s now working 100%. I think I plan on restoring this bit by bit as well as customizing it to my own liking since I think it’s going to stay in my home a long time.

I bought this machine because I loved the Stern Star Trek Pro. Funny because I think I’m going to sell that now. Still a good game this one just is sooo awesome.

Anyway you all were so awesome thank you so much. I’m going to keep learning but more on the T2 for now lol its not as loved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GeekedOnPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-check-switch-after-cleaning-please-help-?tu=GeekedOnPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.