You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8-driver RD vs BW-215.jpg
IMG_0421.JPG
#1 9 years ago

hello

after taking the head off my STTNG my Canon's cannot find home.
the 2 switches on each canon are not registering.
no other issues with any other switches.

does anyone know what connector on the MPU controls that switch?

thanks,

m.

#2 9 years ago

There is a separate small board in the upper right of the backbox that does those switches. They are not on the switch matrix.

#3 9 years ago

Super helpful. Thanks for responding.

M

#4 9 years ago

The upper subway diverter had a bad connection and shorted out the coil.
that fried Q16 on the aux board and that screwed up the canons.

thanks,

m.

#5 9 years ago

Congrats on the fix! Thanks for posting the resolution!

#6 9 years ago

THAT took out the switches? Is it still working? As when you short out one of those coils/tips for the driver 8 board, that's usually indicative of the tie back line breaking free, and the next time it energizes that said coil, all hell breaks loose again.

The tie back line is a yellow wire tied into the up or down coil for the rear drop target.

#7 9 years ago

glad you got it fixed!

#8 9 years ago

atomicboy

you where right.
i thought changing q16 would fix it but i was wrong.
i solved the issue you mentioned. the tie back line was loose and fried the coild and Q16.

BUT the darn canons are still not finding home.

i have been testing the CPU but i can't find anything wrong there.

any advice?

m.

#9 9 years ago

All the canon home and mark switches are in switch column 9 (which is one more than most machines have) which is operated by the Aux Board on which you have been working.

I would first check other switches in rows 2, 5, 6 and 7 (the rows the canon switches are on) to make sure they are working to rule out a CPU board problem. You can do this by looking up the switch matrix in the manual, entering switch edge test and pressing any switch in those rows and making sure they register.

Assuming they register correctly, the problem is most likely on the Aux board column driver. Column 9 exits the Aux Board through J5, pin 1. It is driven by Q12 (TIP102) and Q1 pre-driver (2N4403).

#10 9 years ago

As above, I would pull that board, check all the transistors again, pre-drivers as well, and see if you can find the issue. I'm guessing it's another transistor, as I haven't seen the IC fail in any of these instances for this driver 8, but have only dealt with a few.

Look for hacks too, as this board is sometimes hacked to shit. I had one where all the pre-driver transistors were removed, and one pad on each were all soldered together - and it was working!!

For anyone with a STTNG, I recommend anytime you have the PF up to lastly check the tieback wire each time before you put it down given what can happen if you power this up when it is not a solid connection.

#11 9 years ago

Check your board traces for breaks too.

#12 9 years ago

i just realized that the new Tip 102 transistors give me a reading off two legs and the original transistors only give me a reading off if one, when i test in diode mode.

is that normal?

thanks

m.

#13 9 years ago

Measure this with the board out and not connected in the head. They should measure .4 to .8 or so for each leg, and should be consistent in readings for all tip102s. If there is a replacement, sometimes they are slightly different, depending on the manufacturer.

I believe this is with the red to the ground (center) and the black to the outside, but it might be backwards. If you get anything else outside of the readings you are getting from the majority of them, check in the manual to see what that leads to and you should find your issue.

#14 9 years ago

Another 4 hours to the time suck of STTNG.

All switches test good aside from the aux board.
One this I noticed is that all the aux board solidiods will not fire in test.

I re soldered all those leads and no luck.
I also molexed all the connections to the aux.

Problem is definitely on the aux board.
I will spend some more time on this board.
I'm having issues isolating the problem cus the new dips are going me different readings then the originals.

Thanks for all the help.

#15 9 years ago

just fixed the diverter issue.
was a bad trace under Q16.

#16 9 years ago

I cannot find anything wrong with the aux board now that I fixed q16. Very thing tests out fine.
I have followed the schematics and can trace J5 all the way to the Chip without a problem.

Maybe it's the processor?

Could it be a U20 or LM339 issue?

Thanks

M

#17 9 years ago

If the other switches in the row and columns work, I would not look to the CPU board yet, especially considering you have been messing with the aux board.

Do all the solenoids on the aux board work now?

Once you confirm the other solenoids on the Aux board are working, to further troubleshoot switch column 9, use a logic probe to see if there is a pulsing signal on pin 19 (latched output) and pin 2 (D7 bus) on U1 on the Aux board with the machine in switch edge test mode.

If you have a pulsing signal on pin 2 but not on pin 19, U1 is bad. If you do have pulsing signals on both pins, look to Q1 and Q12.

#18 9 years ago

All solinoids are working.
Game is fully working aside from the two canons not finding home.

Will try the logic prob in the morning.

Thanks for all your help.

M

#19 9 years ago

Ok, I had to pull up the manual at this time over coffee . There are 4 switches in column 9, which is clearly a possible problem. Are the mark switches working for the cannons? Check those in switch test. I'm guessing they are not, or at least the right gun mark is not.

IF the left mark works, and the right not, you have a broken wire in he switch daisy chain, either from mark left to right gun home, or incoming at right gun home.

IF neither mark registers, you have a column problem, which again could be a column 9 driver 8 board issue OR a broken wire off the first switch for this column from the driver 8, people often overlook this when a complete column or row is out, and go straight to assuming a board issue, but it's possible as is an easy first check.

IF both marks register, but not the gun homes, well, you got me, and that would almost have to indicate two separate issues in column 5 and 7, and a broken wire in the daisy chain there for each, or both micro switches simultaneously failed, which given these both started at the same time, is incredibly unlikely.

Check those and report back.

#20 9 years ago

I did a line test btwn the newly molexed connections to the aux board for the connections to the playfield.
J5 was giving me out totally strange numbers. Spiking and then diving numbers.
I follower the violet and white cables looking for a short along the way.

I got all the way to the switched and it still was giving me the same crazy numbers in voltage test!

I then tested the diodes and I discovered two bad diodes. One for each canon switch!

I didn't have time to replace them but I think I may be on to something.

Fingers crossed!

M

#21 9 years ago

Just a note, you really can't measure the voltage on the switch matrix accurately with a DMM. Column 9 that you were tracing is pulsed on and off 60 times per second which will drive a DMM crazy. The good news is it sounds like it is pulsing which would suggest the aux board is working.

On a negative note, seems unlikely that 2 diodes would fail simultaneously but heck, they are cheap and only take a few minutes to change. Keeping the fingers crossed...

#22 9 years ago

Changing the diodes did nothing.
The marker switches do not work in test mode but u have read somewhere that they normally don't register in test mode.

I will continue with the rest of your leads.

Thannks so much,

M

#23 9 years ago

I can't recall, is there a cannon test mode in the tests menu? If so, that is usually how you can test some of these outside matrix switches I believe. I'd have to check on mine, but if you can go there, that would indicate when the switches are made. Check the marks there if this exists.

As for diodes, how did you test them? They have to be out of circuit for a true test, which means one leg disconnected at least.

#24 9 years ago

I had the same problem and I am not nearly as technically proficient as you guys, but I changed out the coil sleeves and not only are the cannons stronger, they have no trouble finding home. I'm just throwing this out there....

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from lynn32839:

I had the same problem and I am not nearly as technically proficient as you guys, but I changed out the coil sleeves and not only are the cannons stronger, they have no trouble finding home. I'm just throwing this out there....

The coil sleeves could not possibly have any connection to a switch issue. If that did resolve your issue when you swapped them, you likely had an intermittent issue with a wire that was moved in a way that made better connection or something like that.

New sleeves only provide less resistance for the plunger to move within the coil.

#26 9 years ago

So i ordered a new aux board.
After i thought i fixed all the issues aside from the canon, the other aux solinoids stopped working.

So ininstalled the new board, staterted the game with the playfield up and door open to minimise risk.
The canons couldnt find home.
I then went to test the diverters.
Both tested fine.

I then put playfield down and closed door.
I then smelled the familier sent of burning coil.

It was the lower diverter.

I replaced the coil with a simular one just to test with.

Every time i push the door switch, that coild locks closed and will over heat.

Not sure what tondo aside to call a repair person.

#27 9 years ago

ugg, you should have mentioned you were doing that. If the transistor is fried, it usually locks on the coil and shorts that. Then if you replace the transistor or board, without changing the coil, the bad coil will then take out the new, and this vicious cycle continued until you fix the board AND coil issues. This is what makes STTNG a pain, the use of this board (for a large part).

Check the diverter coils, and the drop target ones (I believe those are the only coils controlled by this board, don't have manual in front of me), to see if they are in range (at least one is not), and pull the board, and check and replace any bad transistors.

#28 9 years ago

thank you with your patience with my troubles.
the aux board controls the 2 lower subway diverters and the two coils that control the drop target on one molex, and on a separate chain is the one wire that controls the canons.

i have to wait for an order from great planes before i can move forward.

obviously Q16 fried on the board.
i a will need a new coil.

everything seamed OK before i lowered the play field regarding the diverter coils.

thanks for your help.

m.

#29 9 years ago

When you get the new stuff make sure all the transistors are good on the board, and disconnect those coils, and make sure the resistance for each is within range. THEN power up.

#30 9 years ago

so i should un solder, test the coils, and then re solder them, then boot up?

thanks

m.

#31 9 years ago

No, they all have connectors, just disconnect and check. They can't be in circuit is all.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

No, they all have connectors, just disconnect and check. They can't be in circuit is all.

Yep, just unplug J3 and J4 from the aux board and you can measure coil resistance on all the coils controlled by the aux board.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from aveamike:

The upper subway diverter had a bad connection and shorted out the coil.
that fried Q16 on the aux board and that screwed up the canons.

thanks,

m.

You posted the above 5 days ago. When you were here, were the home switches working again? I'll play with mine and figure out how to test those mark switches as well.

#34 9 years ago

i never got the home switched to register.
i was totally focused on the canons and then i realized that one of the lower coil was fried and blew Q16.
the could has a very wonky connection so i re soldered it and changed out Q16. the diverters worked for a moment but then stopped.

I'm waiting for some new transistors from ed before i can try anything else.

i have a hunch that something is shorting when the play field is lowered.

m.

#35 9 years ago

got my parts and about to start round 3 vs the machine!

i have new transistors and coils.

#36 9 years ago

This time, try powering it up without J3 and J4 connected to see if the switches work before trying the solenoids.

#37 9 years ago

i tested the coil that keep blowing at the J4 molex. the purple and brown cables.
i don't get any voltage reading unless the door is closed is it locks the coil. i get 35v.

#38 9 years ago

With J4 disconnected?

#39 9 years ago

You might want to clear the resolved mark for the topic.

Quoted from aveamike:

i tested the coil that keep blowing at the J4 molex. the purple and brown cables.
i don't get any voltage reading unless the door is closed is it locks the coil. i get 35v.

1 week later
#40 9 years ago

after taking some time off this problem i am getting back into it.

Q12 blows immediately after the lower play field upper diverter locks, once the coin door is closed.

i am getting and "open" reading btwn all these cables at the connector point. is that normal?

thanks for your help.

IMG_0421.JPGIMG_0421.JPG
#41 9 years ago

Are you sure about Q12 ?
in your picture I see wire:
'brown/white' = under divertor top = Q16 and
'black/white' = under divertor bot. = Q15

check diode next to Q15 and/or Q16 on 8-driver-board

#42 9 years ago

It's a rotten dog replacement and I believe it's a different layout then the original.

#43 9 years ago

I believe the drive-transistors and all connectors are kept the same to match the schedule.

8-driver RD vs BW-215.jpg8-driver RD vs BW-215.jpg

#44 9 years ago

the problem definitely has to do with the under play field wiring or one the connectors to the aux board.

i have gone through 2 aux boards.

#45 9 years ago

i am a total idiot BUT i finally solved the problem.
i am so embarrassed by this but i think its important to share our fixes no matter what.

after going through three coils and multiple transistors.... hours with my DMM and driving my wife and child nuts..... i figured it out.

i had the ribbon cable upside down. yes, i am that dumb.

game works 100%.

m.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from aveamike:

hours with my DMM and driving my wife and child nuts

well done, have fun playing STtnG, great machine !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 63.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 15.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 64.99
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-canon-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.