Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1568_(resized).JPG
IMG_1567_(resized).JPG
STTNG_Motor_(resized).jpg
Cannon_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

When booting up the game I'm having issues with the right cannon firing, the plunger staying out, and the cannon never stops rotating. I barely touch the plunger and it will go back in but then fire and stay out again right after. From reading other posts about sttng cannon issues the first thing often recommended is to replace the wiring harness. So I purchased 2 replacements from the Pinball Wizard (http://www.thepinballwizard.net/index.php?p=product&id=1822) and I figured out where the wires go etc. I've pulled the cannon off the machine and looked it over several times and don't see where there is a diode to be replaced. So my question is where does the diode go? Thanks for the help.

#2 8 years ago

Bump.

Anybody know where the lonely diode goes in the STTNG cannon harness replacement kit? If not I guess I'll just swap out 1 without the diode.

#3 8 years ago

Check your lamp matrix in the manual, probably on that. If a mechanical switch and not optos, that would be the next thing to check.

LTG : )

#4 8 years ago

Maybe about once every twenty or so games, during boot up, my left cannon will fire and the plunger will stick. When this happens the cannon will not find home. I've cleaned everything and put new coil sleeves in. It seems to happen less often, but it still happens on occasion. And just the slightest touch will send it back to it's place. I don't have a permanent fix, but wanted to let you know I've seen it happen. I haven't done any wire replacement on mine.

Good luck!

#5 8 years ago

I have the same issue with my right cannon and the plunger sticking out but going back in with a little push. It seems to be random on whether it finds home or not. I'm curious if the wiring harness works for you. Keep us updated

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from worldofglenn:

the plunger will stick.

Quoted from saber07:

and the plunger sticking

Magnetized ?

LTG : )

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Xpinmonkey:

Anybody know where the lonely diode goes in the STTNG cannon harness replacement kit?

Cannon_(resized).jpgCannon_(resized).jpg

Yuck, I should have taken more post restore pics ... don't let your cannon look like this ever.

My OCD kicked in and I had to post a better pic.
IMG_1567_(resized).JPGIMG_1567_(resized).JPG

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from saber07:

I have the same issue with my right cannon and the plunger sticking out but going back in with a little push. It seems to be random on whether it finds home or not. I'm curious if the wiring harness works for you. Keep us updated

The cannon not finding home and continually rotating may have nothing to do with the cannon wiring harness; this is where the pair of micro switches under the playfield come into play. There are diagnostics for the cannons that monitor these two switches.
STTNG_Motor_(resized).jpgSTTNG_Motor_(resized).jpg

As for the cannon plunger sticking out, it sounds like its binding. Could be a bad sleeve, spring, wire in the way ... any number of things.

here is a much better picture of the cannon home switch, this is from the right cannon.
IMG_1568_(resized).JPGIMG_1568_(resized).JPG

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from worldofglenn:

Maybe about once every twenty or so games, during boot up, my left cannon will fire and the plunger will stick. When this happens the cannon will not find home. I've cleaned everything and put new coil sleeves in. It seems to happen less often, but it still happens on occasion.

After giving this some thought ... what is likely happening is that the cannon optos are telling the processor that there is a ball loaded in the cannon, the cannon then rotates to a firing position to expel the ball and fires the solenoid, if the plunger sticks out, the plunger itself is likely blocking the optical path at this point so the cannon continues to rotate thinking there is a ball loaded in the cannon. This can be a problem with the cannon wiring, or an issue with the optics themselves.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I didn't see the diode because the plastic tube that covers it is all dirty and foggy. I checked the cannon position switches via tests section and it did find home and mark every time. I will go ahead and replace the harness since I already bought 2 of them. It'll probably be a couple weeks until I can get to it though. I'll report my results when I have them.

3 years later
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Xpinmonkey:

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I didn't see the diode because the plastic tube that covers it is all dirty and foggy. I checked the cannon position switches via tests section and it did find home and mark every time. I will go ahead and replace the harness since I already bought 2 of them. It'll probably be a couple weeks until I can get to it though. I'll report my results when I have them.

It's been a few weeks (lol), any luck?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 63.95
$ 64.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-cannon-replacement-wire-harness-diode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.