Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by flipperG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

ive replaced both of those switches that it gets its positioning off of to no luck, anyone know of a good place to look next?

#2 5 years ago

mine does this sometimes also... not sure how to fix it

#3 5 years ago

I'd guess something in the wiring harness is off or loose. (Assuming you've checked the optos.) All of my STTNG cannon problems were solved when I put in a new harness.

#4 5 years ago

that's funny cause mine was only doing it too sometimes till now. I need to check that plug that those wires go into cause I noticed a little pulling on those when my right cannon is moving and wonder if that connection is bad but by tugging on them they seen fine. I wonder where those wires also end up im my backbox and if it could be in there

#5 5 years ago

I didn't see any opto"s under there just those two switches under the cannon

#6 5 years ago

Those original looms have the tendency to have wires break.
The after-market ones are more flexible ...

After you find out it is a wire-break under the cannon

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I'd guess something in the wiring harness is off or loose. (Assuming you've checked the optos.) All of my STTNG cannon problems were solved when I put in a new harness.

where can you buy the new canon harnesses?
I have been looking for a couple years and nobody seems to have them.

#8 5 years ago

I went into my switch test mode but those didn''t seem to have a switch test for them. if it's in the harness it's going to be in it's first connection right??? lol

#9 5 years ago

been at this most of the day and being that im still on the learning curve with these glorious damn things that sounds just about right

#10 5 years ago

Check the opto PCB under the PF.

Check each IDC one-by-one to find the culprit if this is the cause (re-insert the wires using a pusher)...later replace it.

While each IDC is off, inspect the header pins on each switch checking for cold solder joints/loose header pins.

Good luck in the hunt.

#11 5 years ago

I looked at those opto sensors and backed those off right at the point of the light going out. I have a pin extractor that i'll use to take a better look at that connector that those under cannon switches feed. I think my next move is to switch those two opto boards and see if the problem moves over to other cannon. I don't mind working my through these types of things even though spending too much time at once gets frustrating and need time to regroup but I truly appreciate the guidance, ty

#12 5 years ago

It took me a while to find out where I bought my wiring harness. I got them from Jim at jimspinballshop.com. They were inexpensive and worked perfectly. Be sure to buy a spare. It's worth it to have an extra on hand. You'll need to send Jim an email to get them made for you.

#13 5 years ago

I got my wire new harnesses at marco - i think mainly you need to shrink tube the wires under the cannon top, they move around and can break

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

It took me a while to find out where I bought my wiring harness. I got them from Jim at jimspinballshop.com. They were inexpensive and worked perfectly. Be sure to buy a spare. It's worth it to have an extra on hand. You'll need to send Jim an email to get them made for you.

When did you get these from Jim? I have sent him three emails and never heard back from him. Not sure how else to contact him.

#15 5 years ago

It's been a year or more. I don't know if he's still in business, but I assumed so since his website is still up.

#16 5 years ago

His website says the harnesses are out of stock. And there is no direct email address. You have to send an email through the contact us page which then responds with an error. If someone has a direct email address for Jim, I would like to try that. Or a phone number maybe?

#17 5 years ago

Another question - what signals on the harness would prevent the cannons from rotating properly. That does not make sense to me.

#18 5 years ago

I got a pair of the wire harnesses from marco, they are more flexible than the stock ones. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-17067

#19 5 years ago

I think that harness going into the cannon and that opto board tells the machine when a ball is in the cannon and other wires power whats on top, that constant spinning mine wants to do should be off of those switches under the cannon or in those wires/connector that come off of that? that's where im going to try now is in that first connector. any chance this problem could be in the backbox?

#20 5 years ago

Are the home switches registering in test if triggered manually by hand?

#21 5 years ago

I went into test mode and pulled on those switches under cannon and didn't get anything to register, do those switches have a marker on there? I sure hope so cause that will help me out a lot

#22 5 years ago

on second thought im not so sure that the opto board doesn't have anything to do with that continuous spinning either

#23 5 years ago

I checked the right one that's working properly in test mode and those didn't register either, my pin puller is for a larger wire and didn't work so well.............. break time

#24 5 years ago

when I replaced those two switches under the cannon i reversed one of the diodes on one, ( wrong direction ) fixed that and it works now

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Playfield - Plastics
MicksPinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside