You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150511_140037060_iOS.jpg
20150511_140022374_iOS.jpg
20150511_022337017_iOS.jpg
#1 8 years ago

So, my GI had some lights out, so I went to the board to see what was going on, and of course there is a burnt connector. Now, I am no solder king, but I think I can replace the pins and connector. My question is based on the photos below, do you think the male parts need to be replaced on the board? This of course adds a whole new degree of complexity to the situation. Again, thanks for all the help, without pinside I would be dead on the water.
20150511_140037060_iOS.jpg20150511_140037060_iOS.jpg20150511_140022374_iOS.jpg20150511_140022374_iOS.jpg20150511_022337017_iOS.jpg20150511_022337017_iOS.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I am about to do the same thing to my STTNG. Everything I have read suggests you should replace both. However, I think you should follow the advice of whatever wiser heads speak here than I.

This game really needs its GI.

#3 8 years ago

The idea of actually doing things to the board itself is terrifying. I am pretty much all wrapped up on shopping this machine out, this is the last step!

#4 8 years ago

Always do both sides. It if you aren't experienced with PCB soldering, take it to a professional. It's really easy to damage the traces and it isn't expensive to have it done properly.

#5 8 years ago

Yep replace both, unless you just like to do it over and over again.

Its MUCH easier if you use a desoldering station to remove the male header. But you can use one of those spring loaded vacuum ones but it will take a long time.

And be careful, as someone suggested, if you don't get ALL of the solder out, when you go to pull the pins out of the board you can damage the plated through holes. When that happens, some of the GI won't work and you'll have to fix that with a stitch or jumper.

#6 8 years ago

Good time to convert your G.I. to LEDs to reduce power consumption and heat. The only problem with that is the game really needs an LEDOCD board for the G.I. with LEDs installed so that's another chunk of $$ to put into it, but well worth it IMO.

#7 8 years ago

Well, I put in LEDS, but not the LEDOCD board. What is that? I just picked this up last week and the one strand of GI wasn't working when I got it.

#8 8 years ago

I have no affiliation with Herg or his products, just recommending it especially for games like STTNG that make so much use of local dimming of the GI. http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=7

I have both the LED OCD and GI OCD boards in my STTNG and it makes the LEDs really work well.

#9 8 years ago

You should always replace both sides of a burnt connector.

The plating on the pins has been compromised, and just replacing the female connector will cause it to burn again.

If you want to ship your board over to Columbus, I can fix it and ship it back. Won't take long!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 9.95
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-burnt-connector-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.