You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STTNG Switches Matrix (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi everybody,
Both guns were previously operating.
Now I have a problem with my STTNG. The two cannons no longer work. I have errors on the following switches 32, 33, 34, 36, 37. They are all Opto switches. I attach the photo of the matrix of "switches" on this machine. How do I start to find this fault?
Thanks for your help.

STTNG Switches Matrix (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Guess this sounds silly but did u check the connector for 12 volt on the driver board. Its on the left hand corner of the board right under the fuses. that said im thinking now that if the game picks up the balls and that means there should be power to the optos in the game.

If a row or collumn of switches is out the logical thing would be a broken wire or a cpu board issue.
Find the opto in question and test for power. If u dont get power u should look for a broken wire. if u do get 12 volt, my next step would be to test opto itself by going into test mode in the game and then shorting the two wire together for the Receiver. Read again only for the receiver, u dont want to short the transmitter 12 volt. The opto with the black housing is the receiver. In switch test u should see it register when u short the wires together, if u dont u probably have a broken wire.

#3 1 year ago

Thank you for your answer. I'm doing a little behavior update.
I just moved the cables underneath the pinball machine and I don't have any more mistakes !!!! However, I behave strangely only on the left cannon now. When I choose "Launch Probe" at the start of the game and the ball leaves the left cannon when I shoot, the cannon ejects fine but the cannon light continues to flash and "Launch Probe" does not go out the screen until what the gun fires again in the void and there the operation becomes normal again. If it can help better diagnose.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from lionelpo91:

Thank you for your answer. I'm doing a little behavior update.
I just moved the cables underneath the pinball machine and I don't have any more mistakes !!!! However, I behave strangely only on the left cannon now. When I choose "Launch Probe" at the start of the game and the ball leaves the left cannon when I shoot, the cannon ejects fine but the cannon light continues to flash and "Launch Probe" does not go out the screen until what the gun fires again in the void and there the operation becomes normal again. If it can help better diagnose.

Okay. Its a 99% chance it is your cannon loom on that side. The wires in there wear out. Your best bet is replacing the loom. In had a similar issue and ended up replacing the loom and the opto which I broke in the process. You may be able to play with the wires a bit and get it to work. As a troubleshooting step try removing the cannon cover with the four screws. Then rey slightly adjusting the wires by hand. Cannon loom ran $40 on ebay from England last month.

Also post in here for the TNG cannon experts. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club

#5 1 year ago

Check all of the optos in that column. It is probably a broken wire from one to the other and taking out what's further down the line. They are not necessarily in order.

#6 1 year ago

When the machine is turned on, I have the right cannon moving and firing into the void and the left cannon doing nothing. I guess both have to move. In what order does the sequence take place when the machine is turned on? Right first and then left or vice versa?

#7 1 year ago

If the game 'sees' a ball in the cannon (from a non-working or dirty opto) it will move the cannons. It could do one or the other or both, it depends on what the state it's seeing is.

Like sataneatscheese says, it's likely the cannon looms. Replace both.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from lionelpo91:

When the machine is turned on, I have the right cannon moving and firing into the void and the left cannon doing nothing. I guess both have to move. In what order does the sequence take place when the machine is turned on? Right first and then left or vice versa?

Hope this helps.

#9 1 year ago

Hi All,
You were right. I took the "loom" apart and indeed one of the cables going to the opto was cut inside the black tube. I fixed it and now the problem is solved.
Thanks everyone for helping me.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside