(Topic ID: 143599)

STTNG - Best and Worst Mods/Upgrades - What do you like?

By weirdaljr

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rymanowm
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Nice.jpg
imlt_st_tng_uniform_3-pack_panties.jpg
apron-star-trek-ng.jpg
star-trek-impress-04.jpg
IMG_6372.jpg
8133464002_48a0f31732_o1.jpg
100_0107.jpg
100_0104.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
20150817_203352.jpg
20150702_184422.jpg
image_5.jpg
image_4.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hey All

I am doing my first teardown ever, and it is of my STTNG (god help me)! I was hoping to start a thread to hear players opinions on the best and worst mods and upgrades done to their STTNG machine.

What things have you done and loved?

What have you done and just wasn't worth the time or money, or you wish you left original when all was said and done?

Personally I am finishing up the full LED conversion & adding a playfield protector. I am considering some upgrades such as speakers, and possibly some ship mods and a topper.

#2 6 years ago

ColorDMD

LEDS

Replace the black post rubbers with some colored matched ones. Purple/blue.

GI OCD (Ref: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-ocd-active-smoothing-for-gi-work-in-progress ) to change those AC waveforms into some nice PWM-esque wavefoms to cleanly dim LEDs. Otherwise you shield will be flashing like nuts most of the time.

The "Hallmark" ornaments. (Ref: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation ) Replace teh Shuttle, KBOP and the Warbird.

And once you have the Hallmark KBOP, you need to install Zitt's modules instead of the original crappy #47 bulb holders. Ref: ( http://pinball-mods.com/blogs/?p=452 )

Note the KBOP/Zitt module/GI-OCD comb will give you problems that you can fix. (Ref: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-mixing-gi-ocd-and-kbop-mods-issue )

Get rid of the CPU batteries and put in an NVram solution.

Upgrade your sound with a Flipper Fidelity set up, or a DIY solution.

Paint your Borg ship to be something other than cream colored. (Ref: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finally-painted-my-sttng-borg-ship )

That should keep you busy.

#3 6 years ago

Couple easy ones to add:

Cannon dome mode
Third pop bumper cap

Eric

#4 6 years ago

Cannon Lasers
Klingon and Romulan ship upgrade
Paint Borg ship (I did metallic silver)
Out lane extenders
Color DMD

Those are my top mods. What a great great game for Star Trek TNG fans. I Love Steve Ritchie and STTNG was a show I watched every season. Really good theme integration.

Have fun.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Out lane extenders

Actually, I found that cutting your top sling post as show here ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only ) somehwere in those 85 pages works realllly good and makes the outlanes more 'normal' as opposed to being ball sucking black holes.

Basically you take about 1/4 inch off the top of the post at the top of the outlane on the sling, and you reinstall it on the bottom of the post thus moving the rubber up about a 1/4 inch. The higher rubber will catch the ball high and force it to spin toward the inlane. Kind of like a pitcher tossing a curve ball. The post is the only 'tube' type post on the sling, as opposed to the faceted posts.

Does not cost anything, is reversible and works.

#6 6 years ago

Color DMD and Laser Cannons...Modfather will custom paint all your ships for $60 I think. I haven't done it yet but it looks way better than all the ornaments and other "mod" ships in my opinion.

#7 6 years ago

Domes cannons- cheap and easy mod
Pinbits acrylic ship windows- this along with some LED's makes the multiball so much more dramatic
Extended lane guides- get the metal ones, plastic didn't last very long for me

LED's- look awesome to me. This is a taste thing

Some sort of speaker upgrade- huge improvement

Color DMD- expensive but awesome

Shaker- I love shakers. Adds cool effects during multiball

#8 6 years ago

Is the STTNG shaker motor kit still commercially available anywhere? I've been looking off and on for a year or so.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Color DMD and Laser Cannons...Modfather will custom paint all your ships for $60 I think. I haven't done it yet but it looks way better than all the ornaments and other "mod" ships in my opinion.

Agreed, but I don't understand painting the cannons and the borg ship the same color. Just my OCD kicking in...

#10 6 years ago

aside from what you are doing...
laser canon mod for sure! (can't let that other Star Trek machine have all the laser stuff...)
cliffys and mantis protectors
external sub
2 additional playfield spotlights
backboard decal

#11 6 years ago

ColorDMD
LED OCD
GI OCD
Hallmark ships
laser cannons
outlane extenders
mirror blades (look incredible on this game)
if you want to go nuts, try invisiglass (or PDI glass), it makes a real difference!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

2 additional playfield spotlights

Where did you have these mounted? I'm curious as I usually add spot lights to all my games but because of the cannons I have to mount them somewhere else.

#13 6 years ago

I hate the white borg ship as well, painted mine so much better. LEDS!!! and COLOR DMD!!! Pingraffix PINBLADES!

Here is a pic of mine.

sttng_2.jpg

#14 6 years ago

Ahh yes the Pingrafix Blades, I forget them. I have them on my machine.

Also at a show I picked up customer legs and side rails that match the Pingraphix blades. I've put the legs on, I have not done the rails yet as I am looking for a black 'wrinkled' lockdown bar to make the full effect. I think the rails along would be meh...

Here is my machine, it has:
Hallmark Klingon Bird of Prey
Hallmark Rio Grande Shuttle
Domed and laser'd cannons
Pingrafix Side and Back art
Flipper Fidelity Speaker
Fully LED'd including flashers
GI OCD
LED OCD
Inviziglass
Plastic Protectors
Super Band on Flippers (blue)
Cliffy post rubbers (blue and purple)
Cliffy on the ramps and subways
Custom painted legs
Lighted flipper buttons
Remote battery holder
and a key FOB signed by Greg Ferres

#15 6 years ago

A functional mod would be the upgraded trough opto boards. When I got them PB Resource had the best price.

#16 6 years ago

Color changing LED GI light under the neutral zone.

20150702_184422.jpg

Black paint rubbed off to bring out the details on the stock Romulan ship.

20150817_203352.jpg

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Here is a pic of mine

I just noticed that you replaced your KBOP with an 1701-D.. Interesting.

#18 6 years ago

Agree with painting the Borg and the cannons to match.
Acrylic ship windows definitely.
And yes to the hallmark ornaments.
Also like the laser cannons.
Finally the outlane extenders (considered cheating by some)

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

#19 6 years ago

For me, the biggest difference was replacing all lamps with LED's. The yellowish light makes this pin so boring. Colormatched all inserts, and went with purple and teal for the GI. Looks killer. Furthermore:

- ColorDMD (fits SO much with the theme)
- Bubble dome heads on cannons
- Lasers on cannons
- Extended lane guides (don't worry, it'll still drain easy)
- Borg ship paintjob and green windows, also put in green flashers
- Hallmark ships
- Add in the third popbumpercap (needs only a slight modification)

I would refrain from putting in/on too much extra. There's pictures around where someone completely messed up (imho) his pin by cramming it full with about every little ship/figure he could find.

#20 6 years ago

Changed out all the standard post rubbers with some colored ones...

Quoted from FreeBee:

Add in the third popbumpercap (needs only a slight modification)

What's the technique for this? Do you need to remove a ramp or do you dremel the cap or what?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Changed out all the standard post rubbers with some colored ones...

What's the technique for this? Do you need to remove a ramp or do you dremel the cap or what?

I've done it. I just cut a u-shaped segment out of the cap. Looks so much better than the original, which looks like it has a part missing!

#22 6 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

cut a u-shaped segment out of the cap

Can you get the screws in with the ramp in place?

#24 6 years ago

eh its tricky. i think i just used a tiny phillips head bit thing. not like they need to be real tight.

#25 6 years ago

Yep as previously mentioned. Color dmd. Mirror blades( game looks incredible with them and also helps a little with light distribution on playfield) Led's (I went with purple gi) dome tops on cannons are a must. And love the effect of the lasers also added to cannons. Colored posts rubber to match. Target decals. There are certainly more but these are my musts.. Anything else is gravy. Normally I'm a big fan of upgraded speakers but on this particular title I say go with a powered sub because at least on mine I need the volume pretty much maxed out to see the real benefits the cabnet speaker has to offer. this games got a lot of bass I also replaced pop caps, lane guides, and star posts to purple as I feel the color just fits the theme better but that's more personal preference I suppose

#26 6 years ago

Pinsound for the win

#27 6 years ago

How do you install a shaker motor in a STNG?

#28 6 years ago

External sub . LEDs . I do not need the lasers . I like the way it plays with out. Got that down . But I have owned mine since 1997. Put some slow fade color changing LED 555 behind the tractor beam on back box . Where the Red color is across the bottom of the translight . Use incandescent 555 in that area. LEds make it look spotty . Worm Hole insert use a Fast color changer LED . I like it . I also put Blue Flashers in the Borg Ship. Im not really into mods . But there are some great suggestions . Have fun!!

100_0104.jpg

100_0107.jpg

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Yes, you remove the ramp, you Dremel the cap, you put the cap back with 1 screw, you put the ramp back.

It took me two tries to get mine right. Just use old caps you remove from prior resto's as most of it will be hidden.

http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/sttng_pop_bumper/sttng_pop_bumper.html

I found that you want to leave the lower ring in tact as it helps keep the cap aligned.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Domes cannons- cheap and easy mod
Pinbits acrylic ship windows- this along with some LED's makes the multiball so much more dramatic
Extended lane guides- get the metal ones, plastic didn't last very long for me
LED's- look awesome to me. This is a taste thing
Some sort of speaker upgrade- huge improvement
Color DMD- expensive but awesome
Shaker- I love shakers. Adds cool effects during multiball

Agree with shredso. I did all this except the shaker.. Which I would like to do at some point.

#31 6 years ago

Ive got
Color dmd, pinball pro speakers, a custom topper tied into gi, full led with flashers, painted borgship with blue windows, painted phasers with dome mod, extended outlanes, plastics armor ramp armor subway armor leg armor, target decals, cliffy posts, led strips under slingshots, color changing filpper buttons, a few micromachines ornaments, and ofcourse MIRROR BLADES! Cant wait to do a shaker motor and under cab led's.

#32 6 years ago

The best mod I've done to mine is to get all the actors' autographs.
Actor Autographs

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The best mod I've done to mine is to get all the actors' autographs.
Actor Autographs

I'm Jealous. That's pretty awesome!

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Ive got
Color dmd, pinball pro speakers, a custom topper tied into gi, full led with flashers, painted borgship with blue windows, painted phasers with dome mod, extended outlanes, plastics armor ramp armor subway armor leg armor, target decals, cliffy posts, led strips under slingshots, color changing filpper buttons, a few micromachines ornaments, and ofcourse MIRROR BLADES! Cant wait to do a shaker motor and under cab led's.

Sounds awesome . I want to see this machine . Photo's . Thanks a million.

#35 6 years ago

Best mods imho (just a few ones from a technical point of view):
- tieback diodes on coils instead of tieback wire (the 4 connected to the aux driver)
- LED flashers inside the borgship (prevents melting borgship when playing a lot of MB)
- Pullup/pulldown resistors on the data and clk of the aux driver (prevents locked on coils by old flatcables)

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Richard_BoK:

- tieback diodes on coils instead of tieback wire (the 4 connected to the aux driver)
- Pullup/pulldown resistors on the data and clk of the aux driver (prevents locked on coils by old flatcables)

Do you have any guides to doing this?

Axl

#37 6 years ago

See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-locked-on-divertor-coils
Last post shows the resistors

The tiebackdiodes is easy: just solder a diode on the coil itself. Sometimes when the wire is broken the voltage spike is not fed to the 50V supply, but with a diode on the coil itself you don't need this (kinda flimsy) wire.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Richard_BoK:

The tiebackdiodes is easy: just solder a diode on the coil itself. Sometimes when the wire is broken the voltage spike is not fed to the 50V supply, but with a diode on the coil itself you don't need this (kinda flimsy) wire.

Could you post a picture of one of the modified coils so we can see how the diode is connected to the lugs including diode orientation?
Once this is done, the thin lavender wire no longer needs to be daisy chained from the drop target to the coils?

You mentioned "both divertors and top d.t. both coils" - by "top d.t." you mean the single drop target at the top of the playfield right?

Is 1N4001 a sufficient diode?

#39 6 years ago

Not the biggest fan of mods, but speaker upgrade, PDI-glass and ColorDMD are mandatory for any modern pin in my book.

For STTNG I also like the two lighted Hallmark ships (plus Zitt's KBOP lighting kit) and the cannon domes.

As I think it wasn't mentioned yet the illuminated apron also adds a nice touch and I love the black carbon steel mirror blades and illuminated backboard in mine.

IMG_6372.jpg

star-trek-impress-04.jpg

apron-star-trek-ng.jpg

#40 6 years ago

Essential mod. Just not sure where to place 'em yet.

imlt_st_tng_uniform_3-pack_panties.jpg

#41 6 years ago

Nice.jpg

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

As I think it wasn't mentioned yet the illuminated apron also adds a nice touch

That apron was beautiful! But for $474.99 I think I will pass...

A cheap way would be to use the illuminating insert cards that pinball.center sells. But they seem to be out of stock now

Axl

#43 6 years ago

Ouch

#44 6 years ago

It's actually 289EUR (309USD) including vat in the shop of the company making them ( http://www.pinball-dreams.com/de/shop/leucht-aprons/star-trek-the-next-generation.html ), so it's not really cheap. But 475USD is ridiculous, is that seriously the price in the US???

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

Could you post a picture of one of the modified coils so we can see how the diode is connected to the lugs including diode orientation?
Once this is done, the thin lavender wire no longer needs to be daisy chained from the drop target to the coils?
You mentioned "both divertors and top d.t. both coils" - by "top d.t." you mean the single drop target at the top of the playfield right?
Is 1N4001 a sufficient diode?

The banded side of the diode goes to the 50V. That's the thick wire which is daisy chained to other coils.

Yes, I mean the coils of the top droptarget, there's an d.t.-up-coil, and a d.t.-down coil. Both are controlled from the aux driver.
1N4001 is NOT a good type, since the reverse voltage of the diode is 35V, and its a 50V circuit. I recommend 1N4007. I have also used 1N4004, which is also ok.

By doing so the thin lavender wire is useless and can break/fail without causing damage.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Richard_BoK:

The banded side of the diode goes to the 50V. That's the thick wire which is daisy chained to other coils.
Yes, I mean the coils of the top droptarget, there's an d.t.-up-coil, and a d.t.-down coil. Both are controlled from the aux driver.
1N4001 is NOT a good type, since the reverse voltage of the diode is 35V, and its a 50V circuit. I recommend 1N4007. I have also used 1N4004, which is also ok.
By doing so the thin lavender wire is useless and can break/fail without causing damage.

Can you please please post a photo of this mod? I'm no technician so it would be easier to understand if I could see it! Thank you!!

#48 6 years ago

On mine I have (and like) the Pinblades, Laser Cannons, Custom painted Borg ship with new Pinbits windows. I've got one Halmark ship installed and would like to do more. Oh yeah.....the color DMD is a must! Custom LED's.....especially in the backbox.

2 months later
#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Williamson:

Is the STTNG shaker motor kit still commercially available anywhere? I've been looking off and on for a year or so.

I just purchased this mod a few weeks before Christmas from pinbits. I just installed it last night and I thinks it's incredible how much it adds to the game.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside