Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by m00dawg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I just got my STTNG setup (on the 2nd floor no less, don't ask) and after spending half the day working on installing AnyPin, I'm getting pretty happy with it. The two main issues I'm having are the flashers don't seem to be working, but more importantly, striking the left target next to the Beta Ramp causes the ball to fly up into the spiral habitrail which usually causes a drain.

I looked at the targets and they are bent downward so I'm a bit baffled about why it might be doing that.

Anyone have any thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

Mine hits the habitrail too but it actually saves it from draining. I would be interested if others have this behavior too.

#3 10 years ago

Well one issue was the slope was way too high. I think I had the pinball iPhone app miscalibrated. It's now as close to 6.5 as I can get on carpet and, while not as bad, it still hits is about 25% of the time.

Post edited by m00dawg: Grammar

#4 10 years ago

Hmm well I say that, but it's more like 50% maybe. The problem is that it tends to cause the spiral habitrail to shake loose and become misaligned. When that happens, the ball can't make it up to the back of the playfield (say to lock a Borg ball).

#5 10 years ago

Found this video that was fairly helpful:

Noticed PinballLife has black pads that are cheap enough so I may give that a shot. The pads don't look bad, though they are black so hard to tell, and they do seem a bit thin on mine.

Thought I share in case that ends up helping anyone else out!

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for reporting back, but if your wireforms are so sensitive, to hits, to get misaligned .... use some securing washers to tighten those attachment points.
Otherwise after some 'vivid' playing, your machine reacts and plays totally different. Dail it in and make it last

#7 10 years ago

Ah hmm that's a good point. I'm actually not sure if it even has washers Pretty sure it doesn't, but I'm also super nervous about having the screwdriver slip and hitting the playfield (yikes!). Good point though.

It really gets out of whack quickly when the ball hits it, that's definitely certain. Trying to find something I can use until I get the foam pads just so I can play it whilst I wait.

#8 10 years ago

Mine smacks the habitrail, too, but it doesn't drain.

#9 10 years ago

On mine it never hits that rail from those targets.

See if they are not bend ... and the foam will do wonders

#10 10 years ago

They look maybe slightly bent forward but just slightly. I looked at the foam and while I'll go ahead and replace it, it's not quite as bad as I thought. As a temporary fix, if I wanted to bend them forward a bit, I assume I bend the back metal stop behind the target? Should I do that any special way other than taking the glass off and just man-handling it?

#11 10 years ago

That's kind of normal, most STTNGs i've seen do this. On mine i also constantly have balls hitting the spiral ramp.

But it doesn't drain after that and it especially doesn't loosen the ramp. The spiral ramp resonates like a tuning fork, but it doesn't get loose.

#12 10 years ago

Ah well it used to drain after hitting the trails, but after I tweaked it a bit, it just kinda flies about and is usually recoverable. I wonder if I just double up on foam if that might help?

#13 10 years ago

If your ball isn't plunging all the way up to the drop target and hole in the back, make sure the screws at the bottom near the catapult haven't come loose. I had to toothpick mine and screw them down to get the thing angled correctly...ball still whacks it off the standups, but the ball launcher "weakness"....completely gone.

#14 10 years ago

Oooh good idea! I didn't think to check it and I bet it may need adjusting. The big problem with the spiral is that the ball can hit the return habitrail post when the spiral moves a bit. I need to adjust the other one to move it inward a bit - I just need to find a longer screwdriver than the one I have to get to that screw. So when the ball hits the habitrail after hitting the target, it will move the spiral towards that post.

At least that is what seems to be happening. When it's well dialed in, the ball absolutely flies up to the back no problem.

#15 10 years ago

Mine does not do this. But even though my machine has been sitting in my house for 14 years . the foam is really good. Does your machine have the proto type flipper solenoid only used on ST:TNG ? it is stronger than fl-11629 . The proto type is FL-17636 . Mine has the Proto type solenoid on the Left flipper the right has FL-11629 and the upper right has the FL-17636 . Which flipper causes the most air balls ? The left one.

#16 10 years ago

i just checked and the foam on the back of my beta targets is definitely beginning to degrade. i was afraid if i fiddled with them, i'd damage them.

i do occasionally, but not often, get air balls that hit the wire habitrail, but it doesn't knock anything out of alignment. having the various metal rails locked down tight is kind of the first key to dialing in this game. you can't get good flow if those rails are rickety.

maybe i should look into replacing that foam. it does look ready!

1 week later
#17 10 years ago

Digging up this old thread a bit just as an update. I bought new pads for the targets and it makes quite a bit of difference! So I don't think it's misaligning things at this point, and I have tightened all that down.

But now I've noticed after removing the right ramp (to wax and replace LEDs) that the spiral habitrail rattles against the ball return and sometimes even the glass. But I don't know how to adjust for that? Any tricks on how to fix that? I don't want to risk damaging the playfield or the trails by trying to bend them about at least without removing them. I was thinking about adding padding, but then it would look ugly

Any tips and tricks there?

#18 10 years ago

Figured it out...it's counter-intuitive to me, but pulling the exit of the spiral towards inward (to the left) and tightening things down seems to have helped /considerably/. Just thought I'd share in case anyone was having the same problem.

Seems getting the habitrails right on this thing is a bit of a black art

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from m00dawg:

Figured it out...it's counter-intuitive to me, but pulling the exit of the spiral towards inward (to the left) and tightening things down seems to have helped /considerably/. Just thought I'd share in case anyone was having the same problem.
Seems getting the habitrails right on this thing is a bit of a black art

Think of it like a spring... the more tightly wound it is, the lower profile it is. Moving the exit to the left is making the loop tighter. The first one we had there were zipties holding it "in place". Of course, I cut them, and it took a few days to get it figured out. The second one we had, I knew to take a LOT better pictures of where it was attached, and in what order, so I didn't screw anything up since it was working and not touching the glass.

#20 10 years ago

I had a lot of issues dialing in my habitrail. You need 2 washers under the mounting position at the end of the spiral. Then one on top. It will help balls flow underneath and also keep it from getting knocked around.

I played a game on location that had bad foam on the beta ramp targets, and yep, airball city. I even had one airball fly right over the flippers into the drain during a tournament. Sometimes, the targets can get twisted and then send balls in unintended bounce directions.

#21 10 years ago

Haha oh wow flying OVER the flippers is a pretty insane airball! Holy crap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 63.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-ball-hits-habitrail-when-hitting-left-beta-quadrant-target and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.