Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cubie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

not sure why but it melted the coil sleeve

Because it locked on, and got hot. They're not supposed to be activated continuously at full power.. now you get to replace that coil again.

You said you replaced the PRE-driver transistor? How about the primary? (oops, I saw you said you did that in the original post) Did you replace them at the same time? Otherwise you may have just screwed the one you replaced as well. I've *never* had to replace a pre-driver, but I've replaced a bunch of the main ones right before the coil. But when you're blowing full collapse voltage back into the system, no telling what or how much you're going to blow up..

*Edit* For that matter, have you taken apart the diverters and cleaned them? All of the diverters on STTNG are NOTORIOUS for getting gummed up, so even if you "fix" the problem, they may not move correctly!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

i guess i will replace them both at the same time should i replace the diodes as well

At this point, I would....but you melted a sleeve into the coil already, so it's a moot point. I wouldn't replace any diodes on the PCB unless you're super comfortable with soldering and/or you've already tested them and they're broken in some way (Exploded, caught on fire, allowing current in both directions or NOT allowing current in the proper direction. You'd have to test that when the driver board is out of the game anyways.). You have to replace that coil and assuming you're purchasing the correct part it should have diodes on it, but I'd be real sure to check the orientation is correct and use your meter to make sure it only allows current in the correct direction BEFORE you solder it in. I've bought coils before that were missing diodes or they were mounted backwards.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

well for this coil there isn't suppose to be a diode on the coil, this is powered by the 8 driver aux board

Okay, gotcha. It's been a while since I had a STTNG and I never had to do anything with the aux boards, but I'm pretty familiar with WPC in general.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

the balls are loading into the right cannon but not the left, do you think its a problem with the opto board or something

That's because the diverter isn't working for whatever reason. Checking the optos on the underside of the subway is a good idea. Suspect one is the one at the "top" of the subway for the scoop behind the drop target. This the same diverter that had the melted sleeve? Heh.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

the arm on the divertor was out of adjustment its working now as far as i can tell its 100%

Awesome, nice work. The good thing about STTNG is..at least in my experience owning two of them, generally once you get past the drop target and diverter issues, you've bascially fixed the worst of it! Everything else is really accessible and makes sense, but the logic for the diverters and optos is a bit wonky at times. Any one of those not working 100% (and the cannon optos too for that matter) can cause really odd things to happen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 63.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-ball-divertor-problem?tu=Frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.