Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cubie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I've replaced the ball divertor (top) coil twice the 2nd time I replaced the transistor(q16) driving it as soon as the game cuts on it seems to burn up i can't confirm this is happening but what might be the cause

#2 6 years ago

A shorted transistor or a shorted pre drive transistor(the smaller one)And diodes on the coil if there are any.Also the coil if it is fried,Coils very seldom ever go bad but it would not hurt to test that coil.

#3 6 years ago

Diode tie back wire broken off of drop target up coil.

One lug has three purple wires with green stripe. ( one is kind of a lavender color, thinner, green stripe ) When the lavender color one breaks off, you blow up all kinds of cool sh*t.

I would remove the three wires from the lug. Solder them together and to a single wire. Heat shrink this. Then the other end of the single wire I would solder to the coil lug.

This way if the wire breaks off the coil. The only thing that happens is the coil doesn't work. No more blowing up cool sh*t.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

And diodes on the coil if there are any

None on this coil.

LTG : )

#5 6 years ago

i replaced the predriver transistor and the diodes and the coil, the new coil is not burning up like before, but still the top and the bottom divertor are not activating during the solenoid test also all the balls are stuck under the playfield i'm guessing because the divertors are not activating. this is becoming a big head ache suggestions?

#6 6 years ago

Try reversing the the ribbon cable between the MPU and AUX driver board on both ends so that it uses different wires for the data and clock signals...if this helps, you have a bad cable.

#7 6 years ago

Other thoughts ... verify that this cable isnt backwards on one end to start with befoe reversing it.

#8 6 years ago

switching the cable around did nothing. thx anyways

#9 6 years ago

fuse 103 keeps blowing it worked for a second

#10 6 years ago

Not sure whether to call that progress or not

#11 6 years ago

F103 Powers your 20V flashers and should have nothing to do with your diverter coil;however, this voltage also goes to aux driver board to power your Right Ramp and Romulan flashers. The aux driver/data lines may be a common problem here. Did you verify that the data cable is properly positioned with the red stripe on the bottom or MPU J211 and on the left side of the Aux driver J1?

#12 6 years ago

its connected to j204 to the 8 driver board i double checked the red side of the ribbon cable is connected to pin 1 on both ends

#13 6 years ago

not sure why but it melted the coil sleeve, i dont have a multi-meter to test the coil i could just replace them both as i have spare coils but why is it doing this and blowing fuses, the predrive transistor is smaller then the original but appear to be the same

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

not sure why but it melted the coil sleeve

Because it locked on, and got hot. They're not supposed to be activated continuously at full power.. now you get to replace that coil again.

You said you replaced the PRE-driver transistor? How about the primary? (oops, I saw you said you did that in the original post) Did you replace them at the same time? Otherwise you may have just screwed the one you replaced as well. I've *never* had to replace a pre-driver, but I've replaced a bunch of the main ones right before the coil. But when you're blowing full collapse voltage back into the system, no telling what or how much you're going to blow up..

*Edit* For that matter, have you taken apart the diverters and cleaned them? All of the diverters on STTNG are NOTORIOUS for getting gummed up, so even if you "fix" the problem, they may not move correctly!

#15 6 years ago

i guess i will replace them both at the same time should i replace the diodes as well, yes i replaced them both first i did the primary then the predriver when that didn't work then the primary again i replaced, i'll try replacing them both at the same time if you think it will help

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

i guess i will replace them both at the same time should i replace the diodes as well

At this point, I would....but you melted a sleeve into the coil already, so it's a moot point. I wouldn't replace any diodes on the PCB unless you're super comfortable with soldering and/or you've already tested them and they're broken in some way (Exploded, caught on fire, allowing current in both directions or NOT allowing current in the proper direction. You'd have to test that when the driver board is out of the game anyways.). You have to replace that coil and assuming you're purchasing the correct part it should have diodes on it, but I'd be real sure to check the orientation is correct and use your meter to make sure it only allows current in the correct direction BEFORE you solder it in. I've bought coils before that were missing diodes or they were mounted backwards.

#17 6 years ago

well for this coil there isn't suppose to be a diode on the coil, this is powered by the 8 driver aux board

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

well for this coil there isn't suppose to be a diode on the coil, this is powered by the 8 driver aux board

Okay, gotcha. It's been a while since I had a STTNG and I never had to do anything with the aux boards, but I'm pretty familiar with WPC in general.

#19 6 years ago

i'm hoping this time it works working on the board now i ended up replacing q15,16,7,8 and the 4 diodes for safe messure as both of them feed from the same
wire

#20 6 years ago

that problem seems fixed but now the dmd is acting up with dots all over it and some lines(happened when i was lifting the playfield with it on). also the balls still are not clearing out from under the playfield, should i take it apart and remove them

#21 6 years ago

the dmd is working was a lose connector, still not sure what to do about the ball divertor not clearing out the balls, everything seems to be in working order

#22 6 years ago

the balls are loading into the right cannon but not the left, do you think its a problem with the opto board or something

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

the balls are loading into the right cannon but not the left, do you think its a problem with the opto board or something

That's because the diverter isn't working for whatever reason. Checking the optos on the underside of the subway is a good idea. Suspect one is the one at the "top" of the subway for the scoop behind the drop target. This the same diverter that had the melted sleeve? Heh.

#24 6 years ago

appears none of the opto switches are working even the ball tough so bad ic?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

appears none of the opto switches are working even the ball tough so bad ic?

Check for 12V on the 16 opto board on the underside of the playfield.

#26 6 years ago

i pulled the opto board replacing all the lm339 chips 1/2 way done so i can't check the voltage. i also don't have a meter left it or a job on something. i am making them all socketed

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

i pulled the opto board replacing all the lm339 chips 1/2 way done so i can't check the voltage. i also don't have a meter left it or a job on something. i am making them all socketed

That's one way to go; in absence of meter, that board does have an LED to let you know if it has power.

#28 6 years ago

i finished i just need to put it all back together and test it

#29 6 years ago

it passed the switch test time to put the divertor back in. this has been quite a journey working on this game

#30 6 years ago

got it back together and the ball divertor is not working properly i hear one of the solenoid activating but nothing is happening other than that

#31 6 years ago

the arm on the divertor was out of adjustment its working now as far as i can tell its 100%

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

the arm on the divertor was out of adjustment its working now as far as i can tell its 100%

Awesome, nice work. The good thing about STTNG is..at least in my experience owning two of them, generally once you get past the drop target and diverter issues, you've bascially fixed the worst of it! Everything else is really accessible and makes sense, but the logic for the diverters and optos is a bit wonky at times. Any one of those not working 100% (and the cannon optos too for that matter) can cause really odd things to happen.

#33 6 years ago

the drop target is up sometimes when i launch a ball with the cannon or lock ball but only sometimes. thank you for the support through this

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

the drop target is up sometimes when i launch a ball with the cannon or lock ball but only sometimes.

This drop target should be up everytime a new ball is in the ball launch mech, if you chose to lock a ball the game lowers the drop so the ball can be fed into the top subway hole and on to the upper left VUK (no-energized diverters). The game can get get confused and exhibit odd behavior if the drop target isn't functioning properly. When the game reads "ball in launcher" I believe that game then performs a DROP TARGET check to see if drop target DOWN switch is closed and only energizes the RAISE coil if both switches are closed at the same time.

#35 6 years ago

im getting random resets which is weird because i recently rebuilt the power driver board

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from cubie:

im getting random resets which is weird because i recently rebuilt the power driver board

Please make a new post for this issue as it could take trying a lot of different things before finding the problem. Since you recently worked on the PDB, you will want to take a very close look at the repair work you performed on the 5V section...especially if it wasn't resetting prior to being worked on.

#37 6 years ago

it was working fine the game had just been sitting up for about a year i've been having issues with the ribbon cables but apart from that i just ordered a WPC Power Fix Daughterboard from http://www.kahr.us/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 15.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-ball-divertor-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.