Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Tpa0Qh5.jpg
hIi8IaP.jpg
Star-Wars-1-Fan-T-Shirt1-640x395.jpg
318855.jpeg
sttng_super_translite.jpeg
sttng_comming_soon.jpeg
STTNG_alt_trans.jpg
STTNG_Backbox1.JPG
STTNG_Backbox2.JPG
STTNG_Backbox3.JPG
sttngbgsam1.jpg
IMG_20130219_200054.jpg
sttng_lit_photo.JPG

#1 6 years ago

In hopes that I am finally going to secure a STTNG, I have begun looking at the alternate translites advertised on eBay. Much as I love the game, I find that STTNG's translite leaves a lot be desired. Personally, I'd much rather see pictures of the ships than of the cast.

Does anyone know how these actually look in place, that is, with STTNG's default backbox illumination? I would guess that that is precisely where many substitute translites fall down: the artwork just doesn't correlate with the illumination. Is that the case with STTNG?

#2 6 years ago

Here's mine... I just installed it. It looks great lit- unlit not so much.

sttng_lit_photo.JPG

1 week later
#3 6 years ago

Here's mine, still working on lighting it but it's getting there.

IMG_20130219_200054.jpg

#4 6 years ago

Wow, those look pretty damn good.

#5 6 years ago

Looks alright, but I still prefer the original

#6 6 years ago

I bought the other one, with just the ships. Personally, I think it is a great improvement over the original, but to each his or her own.

#7 6 years ago

Eh, stick with the original. These alternates don't compensate for the fact that the flashers work with the artwork to correspond to specific events in the game. They just look weird to me.

#8 6 years ago

Original is sooooooo much better!!!!

#9 6 years ago

This alternate looks good, does the flasher placement work alright for it?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from theBRAIN:

This alternate looks good, does the flasher placement work alright for it?

Flashers look awesome in attract mode. I was planning on moving them to match the new artwork, but I can't for the life of me see them while playing the game. But it would be pretty easy to put alternate sockets in the board and wire them up if someone really wanted to.

I kept the old translite of course, and bought a frame from http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/pinball-translite-frames.html which is VERY awesome so I could display whichever I wasn't using at the time.

The game just looked SO dated next to LOTR and XMEN, especially after doing the leds etc. The new trans took 10 years off it easy.

#11 6 years ago

The alternate translite looks better to me.

The original translite is overwhelmingly "Patrick Stewart."

The new translite still has actors, but Space (the final frontier) is more of the focal theme, rather than Patrick Stewart. If the lights and flashers don't match up and are harder to see, it might not be worth repacing

#13 6 years ago

Original artwork is much better in my opinion. The other one just doesn't look right to me with the lights off. I used to think the whole game just seemed too dark to me, but after trying to brighten things up I realized the darkness of "space" fit the game. Lighting up the backbox just seemed to ruin the playfield experience. Some people are saying that Patrick Stewart is featured too much, but wasn't that the case with the TV series too. He played a great captain. It is as it should be.

Michael

#14 6 years ago

The original translite is overwhelmingly "Patrick Stewart."
The new translite still has actors, but Space (the final frontier) is more of the focal theme, rather than Patrick Stewart. If the lights and flashers don't match up and are harder to see, it might not be worth repacing

I think this one looks pretty good.

sttngbgsam1.jpg

#15 6 years ago

Hey guys, where can I purchase this alternate translite for STTNG? Ebay appears to be sold out!

What was the price? I have seen these translites go for $90 bucks...

#16 6 years ago

I replaced all flashers with LED stripes. The following link shows the flashers in action during the Borg battle and the attract mode:

In addition I used a LED stripe to illuminate the dark area of the Enterprise.

STTNG_Backbox3.JPG STTNG_Backbox2.JPG STTNG_Backbox1.JPG

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from TakeOff:

I replaced all flashers with LED stripes. The following link shows the flashers in action during the Borg battle and the attract mode:
ยป YouTube video
In addition I used a LED stripe to illuminate the dark area of the Enterprise.

Nice job....that's the best I've seen that look!

#18 6 years ago

Here's a pic of the other alt. translite on my machine:

STTNG_alt_trans.jpg

#19 6 years ago

New translite Borg ship doesn't match up with ship on machine. Like the original better

#20 6 years ago

I know, but it does not bother me in the slightest.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Here's a pic of the other alt. translite on my machine:

ooh! I like this one!

the other one...is that dedicated to the blueman group?

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

How did you superimpose that Rosie O'Donnell picture on there? jK!

3 months later
#23 6 years ago

The original artwork is good enough for me.

I would like to have the original translite as mine is damaged. It seems some of the bulbs did run too hot which caused on two places the colors to be faded. So if anyone has a spare STTNG translite, please contact me.

#24 6 years ago

I messaged the eBay seller and he said he's not allowed to sell Williams alternates - I would really like one - so, does anyone want to sell their alternate? If so, PM me please.

Alternately, does anyone know how to directly contact the eBay seller?

#25 6 years ago

Don't bother. He won't sell them.

#26 6 years ago

I really like the looks of these alt translites, but I think I will keep the original on mine. I added some LEDs to it, and it really looks good now. I would post a pic of it, but all of the ones I have taken look like crap. Actually, the characters aren't too overwhelming on my game. They sit next to the demo man characters who are huge! lol

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

The original artwork is good enough for me.
I would like to have the original translite as mine is damaged. It seems some of the bulbs did run too hot which caused on two places the colors to be faded. So if anyone has a spare STTNG translite, please contact me.

Contact Steve Richie at his site
He sold me my STNG translite before he joined stern

http://steveritchiepinball.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17&zenid=jt9dmb8bqgsfn9v2fvrm5tqdu1

1 year later
#28 5 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

sttngbgsam1.jpg 54 KB

thats fuggin hilarious man. who is that dude?

#29 5 years ago

I've seen this one, it's pretty sweet I think.

sttng_comming_soon.jpeg
sttng_super_translite.jpeg

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

sttng_comming_soon.jpeg 35 KB

sttng_super_translite.jpeg 36 KB

THAT LOOKS AWESOME

#31 5 years ago

I think it looks great.

#32 5 years ago

It looks great but how do you misspell "coming"?

#33 5 years ago

it's pretty, but does it bother anyone else that the image is of the Enterprise-E (from the movies), not the Enterprise-D featured in the actual game (and on the tv show)? no? probably just me.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it's pretty, but does it bother anyone else that the image is of the Enterprise-E (from the movies), not the Enterprise-D featured in the actual game (and on the tv show)? no? probably just me.

Just us trekkies

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

No, but it does bother me that there is nothing for the flashers to illuminate. Otherwise it looks great.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

My pet peeve is alt translites and toys and everything else for Star Trek games that use the wrong ships. Drives me nuts. People just hit up a Google image search for Enterprise and slap the first thing they see in.

Bad enough that they're just stealing someone else's image, but it's not even the right one, and that's the hero of the whole story! The quality is generally crap too since these stolen images are nowhere near the right resolution to print high rez.

Anyways, just my rant, put whatever you like in your game. But if I come over to your place and you've got the wrong ships on your game in any way know that I'm laughing even if I'm too polite to do it out loud.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My pet peeve is alt translites and toys and everything else for Star Trek games that use the wrong ships. Drives me nuts. People just hit up a Google image search for Enterprise and slap the first thing they see in.
Bad enough that they're just stealing someone else's image, but it's not even the right one, and that's the hero of the whole story! The quality is generally crap too since these stolen images are nowhere near the right resolution to print high rez.
Anyways, just my rant, put whatever you like in your game. But if I come over to your place and you've got the wrong ships on your game in any way know that I'm laughing even if I'm too polite to do it out loud.

So I'm guessing this bothers you?!?! I planned on putting it on an STTNG...
318855.jpeg

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

First thing I noticed and yes it bothers me. Aside from that, it looks good.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

sttng_comming_soon.jpeg 35 KB

sttng_super_translite.jpeg 36 KB

I like this one, if I had a STTNG and went the alt translite route

#40 5 years ago

Star-Wars-1-Fan-T-Shirt1-640x395.jpg

#41 5 years ago

Hey Aurich, any chance you are going to come out with an alt translite for STTNG? Your others are GREAT!

#42 5 years ago

i like the stock one, but I would definitely consider an Aurich STTNG translite!

#43 5 years ago

I have what I consider the best Alt translite for STTNG and I would still consider a Aurich alternative.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

People just hit up a Google image search for INSERT-THING-RELATED-TO-GAME and slap the first thing they see in.

Google image search fuels the crappy alt translite economy for all games!

#45 5 years ago

Thanks guys, but I think it sounds too close to what I just did, rather move on to something different. These are projects I do for enjoyment, they take a ton of time, so has to be something where there's some fun in exploring it. Figuring out how do to an original illustration of the Enterprise was a fun challenge, tough shape, but I feel like I took it where I wanted to. I'll probably do another translite, still having a good time, but I'm playing with a different pinball-but-not-translite project right now, good to take a break.

And honestly I like the stock translite. I know for the Stern Star Trek I was all about removing the actor heads, but it feels better when it's a painting instead of a collage of PR headshots.

I'd totally welcome someone else stepping up and doing some cool translites, for Star Trek or otherwise, and I hate to sound overly critical, I just wish it would be original work.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Google image search fuels the crappy alt translite economy for all games!

Haha, so true. Every time I see one I like to do reverse image searches and find the original, see if they really did any work with it.

I don't know who did the one above, but at least the whole image isn't outright stolen, they took the ship and composited it into a different scene.

hIi8IaP.jpg

Tpa0Qh5.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside