• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20191224_115450 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone,

I probably have done something that was not very sensible: on an otherwise working STTNG I was fixing a problem with the left return lane sensor, and I raised the playfield with the machine switched on (I did remove all the balls before doing so). Because of the nature of the problem I was fixing I had the machine in test mode with the switch matrix displayed on the screen. While I was raising the playfield, I noticed that all of a sudden almost all switches in the matrix went from a large square to a single dot.

After I was done and lowered the playfield, none of switches in columns 3, 4 and 6 registered anymore, with the exception of switch 68 (shooter): that still worked. According to the Operations Manual, this corresponds to all optos. Looking at the ball through opto board (which I believe is a redesigned replacement), I didn't see any LEDs that were lit. The same goes for the opto board under the playfield: its LED was not lit. I tried triggering some optos (e.g. the cannons), and nothing registered.

I made a picture of the switch matrix afterwards. There were no balls in the machine when the picture was made.

What would be the best approach in trying to troubleshoot this?

IMG_20191224_115450 (resized).jpgIMG_20191224_115450 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Check your unregulated 12V on the power board, you likely blew a fuse.

#3 4 years ago

I did check the fuses... or at least I thought I did. I probably missed one, because when I checked again I indeed found the 12V fuse to be blown. After replacing it all optos were fine again, so thanks for your suggestion!

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Jurjen:

I did check the fuses... or at least I thought I did. I probably missed one, because when I checked again I indeed found the 12V fuse to be blown. After replacing it all optos were fine again, so thanks for your suggestion!

Always pull fuses out and test with meter,Just looking at them with the naked eye is not 100%.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-all-optos-no-longer-suddenly-no-longer-register and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.