(Topic ID: 57038)

STRYKER'S ARCADE : WORST pinball buying experience ever!!!

By Pdxmonkey

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 186 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Atomicboy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

h56B4E51A.jpeg
metropolis.gif
39802470.jpg
met-le-questions.png
grrrr.gif
photo.PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pdxmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Never have I experienced such awful customer service in the pinball community.

Here's my story,

Day of Metallica photo release my friend calls me up and tells me he can get a few Metallica LE's from Stryker's Arcade owner Martin 'Marty' <edited>. Marty had recently become an authorized Stern distributor and was eager to get some business. I (foolishly) cancel my order with Game Exchange and between three of us we pay Marty the entire balance of three machines and receive a receipt for three LE's. Felt great to support a local and new distributor even though I have always been really happy with Game Exchange of Colorado.

Eagerly waiting for Metallica LE, even buying mirror blades and other mods for the game.

Early July - one LE shows up in Portland, here's where things get strange…it seems Marty had only wanted to ever give us 1 LE what he did with my money is beyond me.
We start asking Marty questions, and he never answered a one the entire time.
I'm calling Jim Belt frantic and also calling Marty's second party he ordered from to figure out what is going on with my missing game.
After failing to deliver the other LE's I ask Marty for a refund or a tracking number by the end of the week. Come Friday he has no tracking number and I ask him for a refund…you know tough shit it's only pinball right? If he would have paid me that refund and that was it, this thread would have never been made. He tells me he has to go to the bank and should have the money Monday.
I text him Monday and he replies "I'm out of town till Wednesday but will pay you then"
annoying but ok.

Come Wednesday this dude tries to sell me a Metallica LE for $7750!!! Check out the picture! After I had paid the full deposit from this authorized Stern distributor on photo release day of $7133! Upselling SOB!

Upset I would not pay this guy his totally bogus inflated price so I drove down to get my refund which he had only part of not the full amount! So I go down on a different day to collect the remaining balance and Marty isn't even sorry about the events (wonder why?) he blames Stern for the shortages and some other crazy water down truths that I just don't buy. He then offers to sell me a Metallica Premium at his costs to bury the hatchet and extend his best customer service foot forward.

This is my experience when 'trying' to do business with Marty from Stryker's Arcade.
Based on how he treated me and the amount of dishonesty he conducts his affairs with I highly recommend avoid any transaction with him but if you must get it all in writing.
I can't be too upset (lawyers upset) because I did get my full refund back finally, but I wanted to share my experience with everyone.

photo.PNGphoto.PNG

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Edited personal information.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from StrykersArcade:

I worked very hard for you and spent many hours trying to get a machine for you even after I got word of the possible cut.
I drove to tacoma solely to.speak to Gary stern and voice.my concerns about this issue with.metallica.
I would have contacted you directly earlier but you used a third party to purchase and I did not know who you are.
Metallica LE was a disaster and I spent many hours trying to fix it for you. Even offered you a machine at the last minute that I would have to drive 1000 miles round trip.to get. You said you wanted your money back and you.got it.
It is not easy being a new distributor of stern and I am at a disadvantage but I work hard and I worked hard for you. Sadly it did not turn out how I had hoped.

We meet face to face with a witness before the first LE even showed up and you confirmed that you placed the order and this machine would be showing up. THis was around July 1st.

You didn't work hard by any means IMO. I find it hard to believe that you would drive 1000 miles roundtrip at the drop of a hat to help me out. Then force me to pay your so called 'new price' on a game despite paying for the game at the original price.
What do you call working hard?
Keeping track of all the different stories you told to different people?
Soliciting random people to trade you a METLE now for one of your Star Treks down the line?
Sounds to me all your hard work was just talking on the phone and internet.
IMO (this is just me) getting the game you claim was 1000 miles away for $7750 and taking a picture of you in California then shown me would have gotten you more than $600 in positive feedback for your new authorized Stern distributor venture. Shit if that actually happened I gladly would have paid you the increase rather than text me the morning of my refund with your crazy offer.

Honesty would have got you my Premium order instead you got my first ever don't buy thread.

Quoted from StrykersArcade:

I understand your upset and a lot of METLE buyers are. Your recollection of events are out of order and missing a lot of information. I don't deserve this post and I will.do what is needed to get it handled.

I believe those upset owners you're talking about where informed long ago what was up. This is the first post delivery complaint I have heard of.
I thought you'd be glad this thread is missing some info, none of it helps you.
Handled?!
My money has been refund and I have no further interest in ever working with you.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I just talked with him on the phone about a possible trade and he seemed very nice and professional.

That's what I thought too…Till it was time for my game to be delivered.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

If I remember correctly he was booted from both the PAC and SMAC (Portland and Seattle arcade collecting forums/groups) for similar behavior. Seems like the common thread is that he's flaky and hard to pin down, but if you badger him enough you can get your money back. So not a straight-up scammer, just a pain to deal with.
I know one of the guys posting on those forums had been trying to get some money and parts back out of Marty for a year and only got them once he made the post.

Now he's an authorized Stern dealer, oh goodie.

#51 10 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Here we go! I wanted to refrain from posting because this is going to cost me a set of mirror blades...but then again I probably wasn't going to get them anyway.
Horror story #2. I was about to order a Metallica Pro from "Game Exchange" in late April (bought my ACDC premium from him) when I saw Strykers add on Portland's Craigslist stating he had them in stock. I also wanted to support a Oregon distributor and had met Marty in the past. Seemed like a real nice guy. Marty told me he was $100 higher but would add a set of mirror blades to make up the difference. The mirror blades would be shipped immediately and would be recieved before the machine. The machine was to be shipped curbside. He told me the ones in stock were spoken for but would have one shipped the next week. Well....over a month went by and still no machine. I called him every week and was always told a different story. He told me it had been shipped but could never give me a tracking number??? finally got so frustrated (well past a month) I called Stern for some answers but they referred me back to him. Marty finally calls (beginning of June) and tells me the machine was in transit in Portland. He told me he would go get it from the location and drive it to me. I told him it was not necessary as it was almost home. Well he went and got it anyway which smells very fishy as I don't think they would release a machine to him that was on it's way to a residence with a different name than his own. Smell a little fishy people? Anyway I finally get my Metallica after driving halfway to meet him (3 hr round trip) and asked him to bring the mirror blades (he didn't). On July 10th, I contacted him and gave him one week to deliver the mirror blades or I would give him a Pinside review because this was just rediculous(PDX beat me to it). He told me it was all a mistake and he had mailed them to a wrong address and when returned they were put away by his wife. He would mail them immediately. Coincidentally, he texted me today and told me he hadn't mailed them yet due to the stomach flu but had just mailed them this morning. Then I read the above review...hmmmm. I will update my post if I recieve the promised blades but am not holding my breath. Marty don't text or call me. Just send me my FRICK"N MIRROR BLADES! LOL

Damn I'm sorry to hear that buddy.
This will get you
While at Stryker's Marty was bragging how happy of a customer you were, he even had the audacity to claim you were stoked because he drove the game to YOUR HOUSE because it would have taken an extra week to deliver it from portland.
Thanks for sharing your experience too.

1 week later
#153 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

In my opinion, this thread has gone a little far. I was part of the original deal with Marty with pdxmonkey. We ordered the three LEs together. I was the one that paid him the money for all of us. It's true we didn't get all three of our machines. But he didnt rip us off either. We did get refunds. I got a pro and the difference in refund. No one got thumbs broken or physical threats either. I am still in contact with Marty and I may do future business with him. Steve, I don't know what's going on with your transaction, but an $80 set of mirror blades doesn't seem worth blowing a whole business. Hopefully you will get them.
Someone from here posted a bunch of local Craigslist ads with Marty's picture. It was really inappropriate. We (even pdxmonkey) flagged them off. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.
It sucked when we didnt get our preordered LEs. And pdxmonkey told his story as an unsatisfied customer. But the rest of this thread has blown up well beyond what I think Marty deserved.

Hi Mark,
It's not the matter of getting the game to me, I can't speak for Steve in reference to his $100 mirror blades, but what is of great importance is the amount of lies and dishonesty he currently conducts business.
He can hide behind 'his story' but nothing in that story explains his shady pinball practice.
Lets assume that the story true and he's really sorry. So let us forget anything related to cars for the thread, just pinball here. So many locals have horror stories (pinball related) from working with him.
If his story was straight the complaint should have stopped at cars. His story has zero explantation as to where our money went when he had possession of it. That trust thing is very fishie even after he told us multiple times he had paid Stern.

Shit you took a metallica pro and when he couldn't pay your cash refund you had to take a BSD with issues instead a month later from when you told him a pro and refund would be fine for you. There was an amount of time where both of us felt I might not get my money back.

Is this an experience you ever wish on another enthusiast?

#154 10 years ago

#159 10 years ago

Those $80 could have really helped his reputation.
Steve's an honest dude I could see him posting that he got them and Marty's off to a better start. But no he lies again on a public board saying he will refund him.

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

I'm just going to say this...
Wouldn't it have just been so much more easy just to go to Specialty Coin????

I'm going to JJ at Game exchange if I decide to ever buy another NIB Stern.
Never dealt with speciality coin except for small stuff.

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from bradloy25:

I got my LE from Martin and everything went fine.

May I ask when you placed your order?

#165 10 years ago
Quoted from bradloy25:

I think it was the machine that he had driven to california to get that I bought on july 20th.
So I never placed an order

Thanks,
That's very interesting.
I really hope you enjoy the game.

#166 10 years ago
Quoted from bradloy25:

I meant premium

Ah no worries.
Thanks for the clarification.

6 months later
#180 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Empty threats. He's learned his lesson and closed his arcade as well from what I understand? Just let the guy crawl back to a hole in peace. I mean don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100% but I doubt this guy will be dealing in the pinball community anytime again (if ever).

Nah he's still active...
I actually ran in to him when I was picking up a rfm for a friend.
He bought a couple games to resell on CL.

Quoted from rommy:

Martin is threatening to sue for telling my story. May need help from guys here.

He threatened to sue me too for this thread but nothing ever came of it.
I don't think he understands that slander doesn't hold up if you tell the truth.
I will personally help you with any lawyer fees if he does go that route.
Plus you can counter sue him if he tries.
I'm curious to hear your tale.
(Please start your own thread though...)

#183 10 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pdxmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strykers-arcade-worst-pinball-buying-experience-ever?tu=Pdxmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.