Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Collin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hi,

So I've got a question and I'm interested in your opinions. Lets assume you've got 50K and want to build a collection of 8 pins. You want the collection to appeal to an adult audience (pinheads and non-pinheads alike) and encompass a variety of styles of play. Constrain your choices to 80's pins and later. What process would you use to figure out what pins to include. I know there are dozens of threads about which pins to buy, but what's the process by which you'd go about selecting them?

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice you guys dish out.

Cheers

#2 10 years ago

Go and play as many machines as you can
    Find out what games YOU enjoy playing

there is no point buying games for other people

#3 10 years ago

2 new Sterns/JJP
    2 90's era Bally/Williams
    2 System 11s
    2 Bally 81 alums

Trade out as needed, but keep the variety. Personally, I wouldn't rule out pre-80s machines but that's just me.

Quoted from PopBumperPete:

there is no point buying games for other people

Dang, that's depressing dude.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

Dang, that's depressing dude.

But, he's mostly right. I've taken out games my brother likes, to get in one I'd like better. He's only here a few times a year. I'm here every day.

I do have a WCS94 that I'll probably keep forever at this point, because my wife really likes it. She's here every day too, and it's her money that bought it as much as it's mine..

#5 10 years ago

I don't know if you are looking to buy 8 pins at once, but I have found whenever I get more than one pin at a time, or multiple pins within a short period of time it is somewhat overwhelming.

If I space out purchases I seem to enjoy each pin more.

Looks like a budget on average of $6,250 per pin would get most titles.

#6 10 years ago

No theory on buying, but this is what I'd get:

Lord of the Rings deep)
    Attack from Mars (simple smooth fun fast)
    Funhouse (iconic, quirky)
    Addams Family (brilliant design)
    Spider-Man (fast, superhero theme)
    White Water (quick players game)
    Scared Stiff (need something with a chick!)
    Monster Bash (great theme everyone seems to like)

#7 10 years ago

I agree with the advice of playing as many games as you can.

Go to the Silverball Museum, PHOF, the shows (Allentown, Texas, Expo). Play every game there.

You'll find what you like and really want.

I wouldn't rule out EMs. Lots of adults like them better than other games (simple straight forward goals and non-annoying sounds).

Hope that helps.

#8 10 years ago

Personally, I'd do a Williams/Bally progression by iconic games that evolved the hobby.
    Plus it's a progressive lineup of systems (from system 6 to Pin 2000).

-Gorgar
    -Black Knight
    -Space Shuttle
    -Pinbot
    -Funhouse
    -Addams Family
    -Medieval Maddness
    -Revenge From Mars

#9 10 years ago

play em all, buy what you like!

#10 10 years ago

You can structure a collection many ways. By era, theme, designer, and manufacturer.

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts. Designing the next game room and figured I needed to put some serious thought into what pins are going to make the cut. It's a more difficult decision than I originally expected..

Cheers

#12 10 years ago

two BBB side by side and you can put a fork in it.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from swf127:

Lets assume you've got 50K

Really.......?

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from swf127:

Thanks for your thoughts. Designing the next game room and figured I needed to put some serious thought into what pins are going to make the cut. It's a more difficult decision than I originally expected..
    Cheers

that is it
    MY perfect games room will be different to everybody else's games room
    I would not want only NIB Sterns, nor would I want the top ten B/W titles

At the moment my perfect games room would consist of titles from 1977-1982

#15 10 years ago

Go to a show and play every game you see, or get on Pinball arcade or VP and play them out for rules at least. That said, if I were to pick 8 games, with a balanced collection in mind, I would get:

Pick one or more for each slot.
    1. MM(r), AFM - Bash the center game
    2. LOTR, TSPP, FGUY - Deep Stern
    3. IJ, STTNG, TWZ - DMD Widebody
    4. SS, MB, TOTAN - Showy "Easy" DMD
    5. HS2, HS, T2, BK2K, BK - Richie
    6. WW, AF, FH, NGG - Lawlor
    7. P*B, Sorc, Taxi, Gorgar, Space Shuttle, F-14, SoF - Older WMS
    8. Paragon, Medusa, Centaur, Flash Gordon, Xenon, Fathom - Older Bally
    9. BSD, WH2O, Banzai Run, FT, LAH, TFTC, Star Wars, CFTBL, - Wild Card

With 50k I would have more than 8.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from stretch2:

Really.......?

Yea, really. There's nothing wrong with sitting down and saying I'm willing to devote X square feet and Y dollars to my toys. I can't be the only one who has wondered how to make it more accessible for kids, relatives & friends while keeping it satisfying for himself. I'm a big believer in mental models and organizing principles. Call me weird...

Quoted from KloggMonkey:

With 50k I would have more than 8.

Thanks Klogg. All good choices. I want to constraint footprint because I know I will fill any available game room space with games. If I build out for thirty games, I'll end up with thirty. Need to bound the insanity.

#17 10 years ago

Buy what will be appreciated the most (by you and by others.) For the most part, that means what will get the most play, though there are some games like Bad Cats that are as easy to appreciate as art as for how they play.

Quoted from swf127:

Yea, really. There's nothing wrong with sitting down and saying I'm willing to devote X square feet and Y dollars to my toys. I can't be the only one who has wondered how to make it more accessible for kids, relatives, friends while keeping it satisfying for himself. I'm a big believer in mental models and organizing principles. Call me weird...

That sounds unreasonably sane. I'm the same way, and I absolutely think about how I can build the best lineup of games given my space and budget constraints.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/structuring-a-collection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.