Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by guard
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

So I did everything humanly possible to my Strange Science to get enough power to load the Atom Smasher. It just won't make it,......unbelievably close but just not enough to get over the hump.
So the question is I have a A24-570/34-3600 coil on the upper flipper now, and need to know what I should be looking at to give it enough snap to load it. The game is useless without the ability to use this feature.

#2 4 years ago

ever consider upgrading the whole flipper unit, to the system 11 style?
If I remember Strange science has the linear flipper.

#3 4 years ago

Did you check the EOS on the flipper?
Are the contacts at the flipper button good?
If any of them are bad you lose power.
Get good contacts for the EOS and the button.
Also check the double stack of contacts of the lower flipper which activate the upper flipper.

#4 4 years ago

Is the game set up too steep?

#6 4 years ago

Been ages since I've seen a strange science, but does the atom smasher have a ramp flap on it? Is it torqued down too much to the playfield? I've seen lots of games where people shop it/replace ramps, etc. and when they put the ramp flap back, it gets tightened too much and robs a LOT of the power of a flip. With the proximity of the flipper to the ramp I can see in an IPDB pic it seems like a solid shot should always make it, and that flipper coil should be plenty strong to do it.

I think doing a down/upgrade to the linear actuator is always in order too - IMO linear flippers are garbage and should always be swapped out. They were designed for lazy operators that never wanted to rebuild flippers in the 80s, and they are actually pretty good at that - they will continue flipping long after other types have given up the ghost but at the price of heavy materials that don't wear well.

#7 4 years ago

It would be an easy shot except that the ball has to upwards curve around a deep bend, go airborne, and bounce of a piece of metal. Yes, I have cleaned, changed, adjusted then readjusted, resoldered, everything.......
I am just missing it by a you-know-what hair, so I was hoping a coil with just a little more pop would be the answer as opposed to a total rebuild of the whole flipper system.

#9 4 years ago

Everything but the linkage...PBR sent the wrong "age" of right upper flipper rebuild.
But it's smooth as butter..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stronger-coil-on-upper-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.