(Topic ID: 120524)

Stripping & Storing Playfields - Need Advice

By Linkage

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    Ceiling playfields.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I've been fortunate enough to have tons of storage space as I got into the hobby. Especially since in my neck of the woods, 95% of all machines that show up are major restoration projects.

However, I'm pushing 50 machines (pins/vids) even after selling a bunch, and I'm tapped. Plus I have another ten to pick up when the snow clears.

I need to make room. I actually went ahead and smashed an upright Discs Of Tron vid today, as I have to start somewhere. Don't worry though - every single scrap of the machine except for the wood has gone out to someone restoring their cab. Plus mine needed an easy 2k+ in parts and structural wood of the cab replaced. I'm not insane. Still killed me to do it, and I've been putting it off for over a year.

Anyways, one thing that is hogging space are the amount of populated playfields and no backbox bodies I saved from a rotting field last year.

This is what I'm thinking of doing:

Take several detailed pics of both sides of playfield. Strip the entire playfield and pack it up neatly in a box. Possibly two boxes, topside and underside. Rack the playfield.

I'll probably chuck a few of the worst condition bodies as I do this, and some of the Playfields too. For example I have a fathom body with nice cab paint and plastics, but the playfield itself is more wood than paint.

I don't really want to start heaving cabs, but realistically, when am I going to find a head only for Mati Hari or Flash?

I know that for the most part, I am not going to get around to listing parts on here or eBay any time in the next few year. Parting it out piece by piece wont happen unless I stumble across someone needing something Personally, I jump at the chance to grab a second populated PF when doing a restore, and would have no issues with a depopulated box of parts.

So, my questions is:

Any reason I might regret depopulating all my playfields and storing them that way?

#2 9 years ago

Well, if the cab or head is in good shape physically and pretty much just needs a sanding, it doesn't matter which game it came off to be used in another game of its era.

#3 9 years ago

I have been in the hobby about 7 years now and I ran out of space 5 years ago. I part a good many "junk" machines out, sell lots of parts, sell project machines and also fix up some machines for sale as working machines.

From experience I will tell you several things - first off machines actually take up less space together than they do after parting them out. Second it takes about 4 hours to take everything off a playfield and box it up to store it. Then to do everything right you should really be saving lock bar receivers, side rails, etc off the cabinets also. More time and space doing the cabinet. And when you are done parts are harder to find, playfields are basically wall art because no one wants to spend several days putting parts back on a playfield on a $500 to $1000 machine, etc.

The smartest thing to do - if you have not done this already - is to pile machines to the ceiling in the back of your work area or storage area. Normally I work alone so this doesn't work for me but I stand them on end - put 2x3 on top of them to protect shooter rods & coin doors, then put plywood on top of the 2x3's and put heads on top of the machines. If you still have room above that you can put boxes of parts on top the heads.

I know you said a good many machines didn't have heads - so maybe get a buddy or two to help you get other machines on top the bottom machines. Not ideal but still better than parting out playfields if you are going to try to salvage playfields to use down the road.

If you really don't have space for that - the next best thing is machines on end with populated playfields standing on end on top of machine and just part out worst of the cabinets.

You will regret parting out playfields then trying to repopulate them or trying to find parts when you need them if you pull parts off the playfields.

Just a word of warning from a guy who has been there and done that!

#4 9 years ago

Yeah, don't de-populate, way too much time for nothing.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

You will regret parting out playfields then trying to repopulate them or trying to find parts when you need them if you pull parts off the playfields.
    Just a word of warning from a guy who has been there and done that!

This is what I was worried about.

Quoted from SealClubber:

Well, if the cab or head is in good shape physically and pretty much just needs a sanding, it doesn't matter which game it came off to be used in another game of its era.

Problem with that is the bulb pattern for the backglass. Id be tempted to repo some if I could.

#6 9 years ago

I completely stripped down a junk EM playfield for parts. It probably took about 10-15 hours total--that included photographing, desoldering, labeling, and bagging. And that playfield wasn't really all that complicated (course, I spend a lot of time pulling out the staples for the grounding braid--mostly as practice with my new staple puller tool at the time).

Quoted from Linkage:

Problem with that is the bulb pattern for the backglass. Id be tempted to repo some if I could.

That's usually just a sheet of plywood with holes drilled in it, painted white, and mounted on some hinges. Then all the wiring and sockets added to it.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I completely stripped down a junk EM playfield for parts. It probably took about 10-15 hours total--that included photographing, desoldering, labeling, and bagging. And that playfield wasn't really all that complicated (course, I spend a lot of time pulling out the staples for the grounding braid--mostly as practice with my new staple puller tool at the time).

That's usually just a sheet of plywood with holes drilled in it, painted white, and mounted on some hinges. Then all the wiring and sockets added to it.

Normally I cut all the wires since I am not planning on putting anything I strip back together and even doing that (not saving stuff like ground braid) an average machines takes me a full day to completely part out. I find one of the worst things is getting side rails off cabinet without any damage and second is keeping everything together in groups. Lots of scrap paper and zip lock bags for me!

I would never consider pulling parts off a playfield I had any interest putting back together down the road - way to much work involved both ways to even think about doing that. Just stripping them for parts is a huge task!

#8 9 years ago

I "store" mine like this.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

Ceiling playfields.jpgCeiling playfields.jpg IMG_0015.JPGIMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPGIMG_0016.JPG
    #9 9 years ago

How about a Sorcerer playfield?? Would love to have one to send off to have done mine is pretty trashed.

#10 9 years ago

I'm going to the Quebec City show May 16 & 17. Close enough for USA guys to arrange pickup, or local Canadians. If you can sell playfields, parts, or games for pick up at the show in advance. I can load up my empty 5' x 8' cargo trailer. You could either get your friends to drop off stuff here if they are coming into Halifax, or you could get skids sent over the month of April. I would think the transport companies would have a decent rate, to get some stuff leaving Newfoundland to Halifax.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stripping-storing-playfields-need-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.