(Topic ID: 170674)

Stripping battery corrosion with a strong acid

By barakandl

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ZUATB32_400x400 (resized).png
    IMG_20210421_090438866 (resized).jpg
    71 (resized).jpg
    8AC3E39B-300C-4000-8352-06EA2794FD85 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1006 (resized).jpg
    20181204_114224 (resized).jpg
    20181204_114823 (resized).jpg
    20181204_114812 (resized).jpg
    20181202_220455 (resized).jpg
    B2E3DE0D-CB1A-4457-AD70-D2AE2C75DF63 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7597 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7595 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170217_124656658 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170209_142031508 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170209_144850848 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170209_160830390 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Cleaning technique Posted by barakandl (7 years ago)

Post #8 Cleaning results of the acid compound on WMS system 3-6 MPU board Posted by barakandl (7 years ago)

Post #10 Results of applying the acid compound on WPC MPU boards Posted by johnwartjr (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 7 years ago

I thought I'd give this a try on a few boards for experimentation purposes.

WPC CPU #1, before
    WPC CPU #1, before WPC CPU #1, before

WPC CPU #1, before
    WPC CPU #1, before WPC CPU #1, before

WPC CPU #2, before
    WPC CPU #2, beforeWPC CPU #2, before

WPC CPU #2, after
    WPC CPU #2, afterWPC CPU #2, after

Sys 3-7 Driver, before
    Sys 3-7 Driver, beforeSys 3-7 Driver, before

Sys 3-7 Driver, after
    Sys 3-7 Driver, afterSys 3-7 Driver, after

Each board had 2 cycles, apply the cleaner, wait 5 minutes, brush aggressively with a brash brush. Rinse. Repeat.

One thing to note - the acid won't permeate solder mask. And it seems like it won't eat traces.

I think a good 2 step process would be 1) take a pass, rinse and dry, then 2) Clean any traces covered with solder mask with something to remove the solder mask, and then take another pass, rinse and dry.

I think it could be a real time saver. Might make some boards that were previously thought unrepairable repairable.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

John:
    Your boards look pretty good in the "after" photos. However, the only thing I worry about is those WPC cpu boards have such tiny foil traces that I worry about needing to solder a bunch of jumper wires on the back of the board to restore trace continuity. As you know, much of the leakage damage is on the front side and in particular, underneath a couple of the ic's. Sometimes the trace is broken where the battery memory backup voltage can't make it. I fault Williams for designing such delicate traces on their boards.

Agreed. That's a distinct possibility, regardless of how you clean / repair WPC CPUs. I have not declared victory yet - but I also know that I find a lot of those traces under magnification before repair, and any I miss are generally pretty obvious by chasing a circuit out with the schematic to figure out why this row, or that direct switch, doesn't work.

I think anyone who repairs as many boards as Andrew and I do have a pretty good sized stack of 'non repairable' boards that we save for trying 'new things' on. My intention is to rebuild these boards to work 100% - and probably seal one, and leave the other unsealed - to see if the damage returns. I have sealed every board I have done battery rework on for several years now - because no matter how carefully I believe a board was cleaned, it's cheap insurance - no oxygen should mean it can't corrode again?

The cratex method I use on Sys3-7 boards is iffy on WPCs. Traces get blown away so easily with it, even with the least aggressive grit and being very careful. Fiberglass pencil sanding seems to give you more control - but is very time consuming. And you get painful splinters.

There are days when I wish the price of repro WPC CPUs would drop a few bucks and put those of us doing rework out of that line of business. I can't keep up as it is.

Which is why avenues like this have to be investigated. It's got real potential to save time, which in the end would mean saves money, and saves boards - but you can't really declare victory til you've rebuilt a few, and had them stay 'repaired' for some time now.

I've kinda wondered what other acids might work, too. The toilet bowl cleaner is NOT harsh at all. I had a little splash on my skin. I did this outdoors. It had a nice 'wintergreen' scent to it - I certainly wouldn't huff it, but it didn't smell bad I used gloves and a garden hose to rinse when I was done.

My new board repair shop (in progress) will have separate 'clean' and 'dirty' areas. This is something I would probably do in the 'dirty' area in a laundry tub style sink, as long as I can get appropriate ventilation in place. I sure wouldn't do it in my kitchen sink - I'd die a very slow and painful death if I tried

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stripping-battery-corrosion-with-a-strong-acid?tu=johnwartjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.