Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Player1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Have you ever developed a problem with one of your machines, and rather than opening it and fixing it right away. You decide to "let it slide" and just move on to another one of your machines? When we used to have 14 pins, it seemed like one of them was always broken. We even printed a couple of signs and had them laminated that said, "Sorry, I'm sick. Come back later.". We'd place them on the playfield glass during parties.

We culled our collection to seven machines to fund our daughters wedding, and for a couple of years, I managed to keep them all going at the same time.

But then we got busy at work, and I started to "let it slide"...now we've hit rock bottom with only Fish Tales working as it should. So, I need your help tech wizards!

I have a Strikes & Spares, and she's a beauty. It was literally rescued from the remains of a lake house that was in ruins. It was sitting in three inches of water, missing her legs, and covered in dirt. But the backglass was untouched, and I had to have her.

Worked great for about a year, but now it's acting up. Whenever you start the game, and before you even launch the ball, any activation of the left or right flipper will cause the score to begin to increment by 100 points. It will do this several times in a roll and then stop, until you touch the flippers again.

Obviously a switch is stuck, or something...but I have no idea how to begin tracking this down. Makes the game impossible to play. Can someone help get me started?

#2 3 years ago

The vibration of the flipper is causing a "too closely gapped" switch to activate. Sometimes, it can even be farther away, like a switch towards the top of the play field. A simple test is to start a game and gently tap around the play field thereby narrowing down the position of the switch that needs adjusted.

#3 3 years ago

In addition, fault caps (the little flat red things in the switches) can fail and cause phantom scoring. Simply snip one side of the cap to disable it, but leave in place for future replacement.

#4 3 years ago

Also, not every switch scores 100 points, nor does it have the same chime. That should help narrow it down too. I would also think that it's a switch near the flippers because of the vibration that is causing the switch to close.

#5 3 years ago

Seems like for me it's almost always a stand up target that's scoring when that happens. Might want to check those. Sometimes they'll score if the switch is particularly dirty.

Good luck!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Flint, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
1,600 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Linthicum Heights, MD
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 50.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside