(Topic ID: 88144)

Strikes & Spares Restoration Complete.....

By Stu

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Frontier.jpg
bally-sns.jpg
Bally_1978_Strikes_and_Spares_Manual_pg 9.jpg
image-15.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 7.19.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 7.17.30 AM.png
S&S_17.jpg
S&S_28.jpg
S&S_25.jpg
S&S_24.jpg
S&S_23.jpg
S&S_22.jpg
S&S_9.jpg
S&S_8.jpg
S&S_7.jpg
S&S_5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Finished with my Strikes & Spares Restoration. New CPR Playfield, Full Cabinet re-Paint, New Legs, New Backglass & New Plastics, Rebuilt Everything....Plays Awesome! ( Oh Yeah, I use a Black Pearl for the Ball — Looks just like a Bowling Ball ! )

S&S_10.jpgS&S_10.jpg S&S_12.jpgS&S_12.jpg S&S_13.jpgS&S_13.jpg S&S_16.jpgS&S_16.jpg S&S_1.jpgS&S_1.jpg S&S_2.jpgS&S_2.jpg S&S_4.jpgS&S_4.jpg S&S_5.jpgS&S_5.jpg S&S_7.jpgS&S_7.jpg S&S_8.jpgS&S_8.jpg S&S_9.jpgS&S_9.jpg S&S_22.jpgS&S_22.jpg S&S_23.jpgS&S_23.jpg S&S_24.jpgS&S_24.jpg S&S_25.jpgS&S_25.jpg S&S_28.jpgS&S_28.jpg S&S_17.jpgS&S_17.jpg
#10 10 years ago

Thanks guys.....Loved doing the artwork for this Playfield and Backglass — The CPR Repros both came out Beautiful!.....Can't wait for the new CPR Repro PFs for my Nitro Groundshaker, Evel Knievel, Skateball, Star Trek & Globetrotters as I now have 28 different Classic Bally's in my collection ( They will ALL be restored as the Repro parts become available ). Still looking for a Dolly Parton to round out the collection.......

#12 10 years ago

I have a HUO MINT Embryon.....

#13 10 years ago

Here's my Classic Bally Line-Up: Paragon, Viking, Star Trek, Embryon, Skateball, Lost World, Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom, Evel Knievel, Nitro Groundshaker, Mystic, Elektra, Vector, Mata Hari, Silverball Mania, Eight Ball Deluxe, Fathom, Medusa, Centaur, Harlem Globetrotters, Xenon, KISS, Spectrum, Playboy, Wizard!, Captain Fantastic, Strikes & Spares......

Still Looking to Add: Dolly Parton, Rolling Stones, Six Million Dollar Man, Space Invaders

Willing to Trade CPR Store Credit for any of these 4 Pins that I'm still looking for.....Although I usually buy Trashed-out games that look like they should be in the Dumpster, Until I restore them, so the Classic Bally's I buy are usually CHEAP Garbage..........

#17 10 years ago

No Pictures & a $900 Price Tag, guess you missed the part where I wrote "I usually buy Trashed-out games that look like they should be in the Dumpster, so the Classic Bally's I buy are usually CHEAP Garbage...."
Meaning $ 3 - 400......

Quoted from dasvis:

Here's a SIx million $$ man - This is local to me...

#18 10 years ago

Mike,
Takes Lots of Pictures from every angle, do it like a grid pattern, from all 4 sides of the PF ( Both Top & Bottom ) just in case you get lost in it....Don't let the project intimidate you.....Use a Tumbler for all the Metal parts.....Take your Time....Rebuild the Pop-Bumpers....Rebuild the Flippers with all New Parts ( Pinball Resource has the Best prices on Flipper Kits ),...Use new Plastic Posts....Etc.....For the Cabinet I like to use a Makita Palm Sander to take all the original Paint off down to the bare wood, then Bondo for Repairs, then White Primer, the a Good Base Coat of the First Color.....a New Set of Legs & Levelers will help to make the game look new.......

Quoted from indy5mike:

on to my first Playfield swap. Cabinet looks great!!! Any advise for a restoration newbie on the playfield or cabinet?

#23 10 years ago

What really does it for me is that the Classic Bally's "look" like very simple games, and for the most part they are, However, a lot of them that "look" simple actually have a much deeper rule-set then you would think just by looking at them.....The other thing that really does it for me is that when set-up "correctly" the Classic Bally's are typically a 5-7 Minute Game, so if I only have a few minutes (like when I'm cooking) then I can get several games in instead of say a 30 minute game of AFM or MM.....most people Forget that the Classic Bally era of games were "Designed" around the "Quarter-Drop" so they were designed to be very fast games with Brutal Outlanes and Fast Shots — All precisely Designed for the player to Loose the Ball Quickly, thus dropping Another Quarter....And with today's standard of "ball handeling" it almost dosent work at all — ever tried to do a Post Pass or Drop Catch on a Classic Bally, LOL Not going to happen! Now compound all that with the fact that Bally had all the Best Artists and Designers of that era and you have a set of games that are just fantastic to Restore & Play.....Just my 2 ¢

Thanks for all the Compliments....one of these days I'll post pictures of all my Classic Bally's.....

#25 10 years ago

Skateball is an awesome game!....I can't wait to restore mine, which is why I did the artwork for the CPR Playfield....

4 months later
#37 9 years ago

Flippers "ARE" Aligned > Perfectly!...A perfect roll off the metal lane guides, you can put a ruler from the lane guides across the flippers and see that it's perfect....If you thinking that they should be lined up with the metal ball stops behined the flippers you would be incorrect....those are there to prevent bang-backs......

#44 9 years ago

Those dimples are NOT "calibration marks"...those were only used during the Shipping process from Bally to the Distributors. A Pin was installed in the hole and when the games were received by the Distributors they were all removed. This is a very common mistake made by most people....believe me, we (CPR) looked into this very carefully early on and did a lot of investigation regarding it......Adjust your flippers "correctly" and see how much Better your game plays

Quoted from erichill:

But if that were the case why would the calibration marks on the playfields be dimpled as they are?

#48 9 years ago

I can't speak on behalf of Bally, but as a professional photographer ( as well as a pro Designer ) I receive products all the time from clients that need to be adjusted to be correct as they are never 100% correct from the manufacturer. Case in point was a photo shoot I did for Pepsi cans, I was shipped 12 Cases of Cans so that I could choose the perfect one ( meaning the printed design label matched up with the Pull-Tab on the top). I know for a fact that Bally did not have a professional Photographer as an employee so they would send stuff out to the photo house & the photographer just never lined the stuff up correctly.........

....Hell, I had to adjust many flippers on NIB games from Stern when I opened the boxes....the people doing assembly back then ( 80's ) never cared if the flippers were lined up correctly, as long as they were 'close' they were good to go out the door....

Look guys, believe or don't believe me, it's up to you. We have done our investigations carefully and this is how it was...adjust your flippers or don't, but if you do you will find a huge difference in performance and speed of the game(s)....

Quoted from sk8ball:

So every single flyer pic Bally did the flippers are aligned wrong you are saying?

I told you the purpose of the pins earlier, the reason 'unpopulated' NOS playfield have the dimples is because they were put there during the production process....the pins were installed just prior to the game being packed up for shipping....

Quoted from erichill:

What was the purpose of the pins and why do unpopulated NOS playfields still have the dimples?

#50 9 years ago

Ok Guys, here is Page 9 of the Strikes & Spares Manual > Look Closely at the Flipper Alignment....they are NOT lined up with the bif bars, However, they ARE Lined up with the In-lane Guides!

Bally_1978_Strikes_and_Spares_Manual_pg 9.jpgBally_1978_Strikes_and_Spares_Manual_pg 9.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strikes-spares-restoration-complete?tu=stu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.