(Topic ID: 88144)

Strikes & Spares Restoration Complete.....

By Stu

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Frontier.jpg
bally-sns.jpg
Bally_1978_Strikes_and_Spares_Manual_pg 9.jpg
image-15.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 7.19.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 7.17.30 AM.png
S&S_17.jpg
S&S_28.jpg
S&S_25.jpg
S&S_24.jpg
S&S_23.jpg
S&S_22.jpg
S&S_9.jpg
S&S_8.jpg
S&S_7.jpg
S&S_5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noahpdavis.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 9 years ago

Never heard of the shipping pin thing.

I've always aligned the flippers to the biff bars/dots, which correspond to the flier picture. Seems weird to me that Bally would "incorrectly" align all of their flippers just prior to taking their playfield reference shots for every flier they released. If they're supposed to be aligned with the ball guides, why wouldn't they have done that before taking their product pics of the playfield?

Frontier for example plays like crap when you align the flippers to the ball guides. Much less power to the spinner/inlines. Same is true with Flash Gordon. Aligning the flippers with the ball guides will make it easier to trap and put more power to shots at the center of the pf and less to the shots at the outside.

If you want a lot more gas shooting the bear target/pop bumpers, by all means - align them to the ball guides. I'd rather have more power in the outside/spinner shots.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=959&picno=4210&zoom=1

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=874&picno=4208&zoom=1

#51 9 years ago

Okay - you got me there. Out of curiosity I looked up the diagram on the Frontier playfield. Low and behold - flippers aligned ABOVE the ball guides!!!!

Frontier.jpgFrontier.jpg
#53 9 years ago

I don't think anyone is being malicious or trying to start a shitstorm - just bantering about game setup. I've had this ongoing argument with friends for years.

I see people asking this question pretty frequently here.

Everything that Stu and CPR do for pinball is fantastic. As he said - align your flippers however you want.

Easier traps and more power towards the pops/center of the pf? Alight them to the lane guides (higher).

Tougher traps and more power towards the spinners/outside shots? Align them to the biff bars and "shipping pins".

#56 9 years ago

^^^ - "Raising the flippers won't make it easier to trap" - FTW!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noahpdavis.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strikes-spares-restoration-complete?tu=noahpdavis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.