(Topic ID: 88144)

Strikes & Spares Restoration Complete.....

By Stu

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Frontier.jpg
bally-sns.jpg
Bally_1978_Strikes_and_Spares_Manual_pg 9.jpg
image-15.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 7.19.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 7.17.30 AM.png
S&S_17.jpg
S&S_28.jpg
S&S_25.jpg
S&S_24.jpg
S&S_23.jpg
S&S_22.jpg
S&S_9.jpg
S&S_8.jpg
S&S_7.jpg
S&S_5.jpg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Finished with my Strikes & Spares Restoration. New CPR Playfield, Full Cabinet re-Paint, New Legs, New Backglass & New Plastics, Rebuilt Everything....Plays Awesome! ( Oh Yeah, I use a Black Pearl for the Ball — Looks just like a Bowling Ball ! )

S&S_10.jpg S&S_12.jpg S&S_13.jpg S&S_16.jpg S&S_1.jpg S&S_2.jpg S&S_4.jpg S&S_5.jpg S&S_7.jpg S&S_8.jpg S&S_9.jpg S&S_22.jpg S&S_23.jpg S&S_24.jpg S&S_25.jpg S&S_28.jpg S&S_17.jpg
#2 5 years ago

Nice. Enjoy playing that beauty Stu

#3 5 years ago

Well done with the resto Stu, that game looks absolutely stunning!

#4 5 years ago

That's a keeper Stu...love it!

#5 5 years ago

Great game, simple yet addictive. I can honestly say I've never seen one that nice! What did you use for cabinet paint?

#6 5 years ago

Beautiful! Would love to see an example like that for sale in Aus.

#7 5 years ago

Currently looking for one of those. Like all the old Ballys you got there. Super nice looking Strikes and Spares. Good job. Remember playing this machine when new at Alladins Castle in 78 when I was 12.

#8 5 years ago

What a save, really nice job Stu.

#9 5 years ago

Looks amazing! Great job! That new playfield is awesome.... Well done

#10 5 years ago

Thanks guys.....Loved doing the artwork for this Playfield and Backglass — The CPR Repros both came out Beautiful!.....Can't wait for the new CPR Repro PFs for my Nitro Groundshaker, Evel Knievel, Skateball, Star Trek & Globetrotters as I now have 28 different Classic Bally's in my collection ( They will ALL be restored as the Repro parts become available ). Still looking for a Dolly Parton to round out the collection.......

#11 5 years ago

You need an Embryon!

#12 5 years ago

I have a HUO MINT Embryon.....

#13 5 years ago

Here's my Classic Bally Line-Up: Paragon, Viking, Star Trek, Embryon, Skateball, Lost World, Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom, Evel Knievel, Nitro Groundshaker, Mystic, Elektra, Vector, Mata Hari, Silverball Mania, Eight Ball Deluxe, Fathom, Medusa, Centaur, Harlem Globetrotters, Xenon, KISS, Spectrum, Playboy, Wizard!, Captain Fantastic, Strikes & Spares......

Still Looking to Add: Dolly Parton, Rolling Stones, Six Million Dollar Man, Space Invaders

Willing to Trade CPR Store Credit for any of these 4 Pins that I'm still looking for.....Although I usually buy Trashed-out games that look like they should be in the Dumpster, Until I restore them, so the Classic Bally's I buy are usually CHEAP Garbage..........

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

I have a HUO MINT Embryon.....

Yeah, the Ballys from that era really do it for me. I got hooked on pinball just as the SS pins were coming out. Eight ball deluxe is my grail.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Here's my Classic Bally Line-Up: Paragon, Viking, Star Trek, Embryon, Skateball, Lost World, Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom, Evel Knievel, Nitro Groundshaker, Mystic, Elektra, Vector, Mata Hari, Silverball Mania, Eight Ball Deluxe, Fathom, Medusa, Centaur, Harlem Globetrotters, Xenon, KISS, Spectrum, Playboy, Wizard!, Captain Fantastic, Strikes & Spares......
Still Looking to Add: Dolly Parton, Rolling Stones, Six Million Dollar Man, Space Invaders
Willing to Trade CPR Store Credit for any of these 4 Pins that I'm still looking for.....Although I usually buy Trashed-out games that look like they should be in the Dumpster, Until I restore them, so the Classic Bally's I buy are usually CHEAP Garbage..........

Here's a SIx million $$ man - This is local to me...
salem.craigslist.org link

#16 5 years ago

Stu,
Those are some good looking machines, i am getting ready to do the Playfield on my S&S. Just about got it working 100% then on to my first Playfield swap. Cabinet looks great!!! Any advise for a restoration newbie on the playfield or cabinet? Thanks, Mike

#17 5 years ago

No Pictures & a $900 Price Tag, guess you missed the part where I wrote "I usually buy Trashed-out games that look like they should be in the Dumpster, so the Classic Bally's I buy are usually CHEAP Garbage...."
Meaning $ 3 - 400......

Quoted from dasvis:

Here's a SIx million $$ man - This is local to me...

#18 5 years ago

Mike,
Takes Lots of Pictures from every angle, do it like a grid pattern, from all 4 sides of the PF ( Both Top & Bottom ) just in case you get lost in it....Don't let the project intimidate you.....Use a Tumbler for all the Metal parts.....Take your Time....Rebuild the Pop-Bumpers....Rebuild the Flippers with all New Parts ( Pinball Resource has the Best prices on Flipper Kits ),...Use new Plastic Posts....Etc.....For the Cabinet I like to use a Makita Palm Sander to take all the original Paint off down to the bare wood, then Bondo for Repairs, then White Primer, the a Good Base Coat of the First Color.....a New Set of Legs & Levelers will help to make the game look new.......

Quoted from indy5mike:

on to my first Playfield swap. Cabinet looks great!!! Any advise for a restoration newbie on the playfield or cabinet?

#19 5 years ago

Nice job and great collection!

#20 5 years ago

Wow, that looks sweet. The old Bally's are a big part of my youth - it's so great to see them brought back to life.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

No Pictures & a $900 Price Tag, guess you missed the part where I wrote "I usually buy Trashed-out games that look like they should be in the Dumpster, so the Classic Bally's I buy are usually CHEAP Garbage...."
Meaning $ 3 - 400......

Yeah, me too. So far $400 has been my upper end on initial purchase. Wife would shit bricks if I went much over that.
........... now, the $$$ that goes into the restore, that's another story.

#22 5 years ago

Makes me wanna do the same to my SnS.

That is one beautiful pin mate, nice work

#23 5 years ago

What really does it for me is that the Classic Bally's "look" like very simple games, and for the most part they are, However, a lot of them that "look" simple actually have a much deeper rule-set then you would think just by looking at them.....The other thing that really does it for me is that when set-up "correctly" the Classic Bally's are typically a 5-7 Minute Game, so if I only have a few minutes (like when I'm cooking) then I can get several games in instead of say a 30 minute game of AFM or MM.....most people Forget that the Classic Bally era of games were "Designed" around the "Quarter-Drop" so they were designed to be very fast games with Brutal Outlanes and Fast Shots — All precisely Designed for the player to Loose the Ball Quickly, thus dropping Another Quarter....And with today's standard of "ball handeling" it almost dosent work at all — ever tried to do a Post Pass or Drop Catch on a Classic Bally, LOL Not going to happen! Now compound all that with the fact that Bally had all the Best Artists and Designers of that era and you have a set of games that are just fantastic to Restore & Play.....Just my 2 ¢

Thanks for all the Compliments....one of these days I'll post pictures of all my Classic Bally's.....

#24 5 years ago

Great looking game! I fell in love with these early solid state games at Texas so I picked up a skateball locally and I'm loving it. I hope to do what you did once the CPR playfield for it comes out

#25 5 years ago

Skateball is an awesome game!....I can't wait to restore mine, which is why I did the artwork for the CPR Playfield....

#26 5 years ago

Glad there is a lot of love for the old Ballys. Can't wait for my next one. Stu, awesome lineup of games there man.........

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

The other thing that really does it for me is that when set-up "correctly" the Classic Bally's are typically a 5-7 Minute Game, so if I only have a few minutes (like when I'm cooking) then I can get several games in instead of say a 30 minute game of AFM or MM.....

You just hit the nail on the head. Nuf said.

4 months later
#28 4 years ago

I have one I'm going to start and was wondering about your paint colors and brand. Would you mind sharing the exact paint colors and type please? Thank you

#29 4 years ago

Rattle can or did you roll it?

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Subman:

Rattle can or did you roll it?

Take another look at his pictures and see if you can tell whether he sprayed it or rolled it.

#31 4 years ago

Definitely saved a game!

#32 4 years ago

Wow..

Great looking restore Stu.... We have recently picked up Strikes & Spares also... I can only dream it will look as nice as yours...

Nice job..Keep the pictures coming.. THX>

NT

#33 4 years ago

Very impressive Stu. I see you and I share a soft spot for the classic Bally machines. I have 8 of them myself including a nice Dolly. I have been able to restore most of mine but they were done with NOS playfields that I had before CPR was making them. One project in line is the Mata Hari with my CPR playfield which is beautiful. Actually will be my second MH to restore. Now if I could only find that elusive Night Rider playfield. I need two. One for my SS and one for my EM. would love to see more pics of your collection Stu.

#34 4 years ago

Love this crap...absolutely beautiful Stu. My classic line up is starting to finally come together. Here is where I am at.

Classic Bally: EK, Paragon, HGOT, Mystic, Viking, NGS, Bow and Arrow, Wizard!, Skateball, Rolling Stones, Centaur, Fathom, Embryon, Medusa, EBD, Frontier.

Classic Sterns: Stargazer; Seawitch; Nineball; Quicksilver; Dragonfist; galaxy; gamatronx3; F2K; Catacomb; Stingray.

Have sold quite a few but my keepers are starting to become clear.......Stu keep the playfields and pics coming....

Lets get the clear out of the rollovers though.

#35 4 years ago

Impressive.......most Impressive

#36 4 years ago

Very nice work - now align those flippers!

#37 4 years ago

Flippers "ARE" Aligned > Perfectly!...A perfect roll off the metal lane guides, you can put a ruler from the lane guides across the flippers and see that it's perfect....If you thinking that they should be lined up with the metal ball stops behined the flippers you would be incorrect....those are there to prevent bang-backs......

#38 4 years ago

Stu,
I love to set all my Bally solid states fast and as hard as possible. Short ball times, but when you put up a good score, you really feel like you did something special. My 6 mil $ man is brutal.
Are there plans for a Viking backglass anytime soon? Just picked up a decent playing machine with a clearcoated NOS playfield included. Backglass has small amount of flaking in 3" area. Just asking. Thanks.

#39 4 years ago

I've always been under the impression that Strikes and Spares, along with many other Bally's of this era (Frontier, EBD, Future Spa, Space Invaders, Flash Gordon, etc.), were designed to have their flipper bats aligned to the biff bars as shown in the production flyers. These games all have vital shots that are low on the flipper and feel weird and stuffed up to me if they're calibrated to modern B/W standards.

#40 4 years ago

Looks amazing, Stu. Well done.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

I've always been under the impression that Strikes and Spares, along with many other Bally's of this era (Frontier, EBD, Future Spa, Space Invaders, Flash Gordon, etc.), were designed to have their flipper bats aligned to the biff bars as shown in the production flyers. These games all have vital shots that are low on the flipper and feel weird and stuffed up to me if they're calibrated to modern B/W standards.

I don't think so. I used to set up games in the arcade in the 80's and none of them were like that from the factory. Just like Stu said the bar is only for bang backs. They should be aligned to the guide.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

You should get a Hot Doggin' - that game is awesome!

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

They should be aligned to the guide.

But if that were the case why would the calibration marks on the playfields be dimpled as they are?

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 7.17.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 7.19.44 AM.png
image-15.jpg

#44 4 years ago

Those dimples are NOT "calibration marks"...those were only used during the Shipping process from Bally to the Distributors. A Pin was installed in the hole and when the games were received by the Distributors they were all removed. This is a very common mistake made by most people....believe me, we (CPR) looked into this very carefully early on and did a lot of investigation regarding it......Adjust your flippers "correctly" and see how much Better your game plays

Quoted from erichill:

But if that were the case why would the calibration marks on the playfields be dimpled as they are?

#45 4 years ago

Very interesting. What was the purpose of the pins and why do unpopulated NOS playfields still have the dimples?

#47 4 years ago

Never heard of the shipping pin thing.

I've always aligned the flippers to the biff bars/dots, which correspond to the flier picture. Seems weird to me that Bally would "incorrectly" align all of their flippers just prior to taking their playfield reference shots for every flier they released. If they're supposed to be aligned with the ball guides, why wouldn't they have done that before taking their product pics of the playfield?

Frontier for example plays like crap when you align the flippers to the ball guides. Much less power to the spinner/inlines. Same is true with Flash Gordon. Aligning the flippers with the ball guides will make it easier to trap and put more power to shots at the center of the pf and less to the shots at the outside.

If you want a lot more gas shooting the bear target/pop bumpers, by all means - align them to the ball guides. I'd rather have more power in the outside/spinner shots.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=959&picno=4210&zoom=1

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=874&picno=4208&zoom=1

#48 4 years ago

I can't speak on behalf of Bally, but as a professional photographer ( as well as a pro Designer ) I receive products all the time from clients that need to be adjusted to be correct as they are never 100% correct from the manufacturer. Case in point was a photo shoot I did for Pepsi cans, I was shipped 12 Cases of Cans so that I could choose the perfect one ( meaning the printed design label matched up with the Pull-Tab on the top). I know for a fact that Bally did not have a professional Photographer as an employee so they would send stuff out to the photo house & the photographer just never lined the stuff up correctly.........

....Hell, I had to adjust many flippers on NIB games from Stern when I opened the boxes....the people doing assembly back then ( 80's ) never cared if the flippers were lined up correctly, as long as they were 'close' they were good to go out the door....

Look guys, believe or don't believe me, it's up to you. We have done our investigations carefully and this is how it was...adjust your flippers or don't, but if you do you will find a huge difference in performance and speed of the game(s)....

Quoted from sk8ball:

So every single flyer pic Bally did the flippers are aligned wrong you are saying?

I told you the purpose of the pins earlier, the reason 'unpopulated' NOS playfield have the dimples is because they were put there during the production process....the pins were installed just prior to the game being packed up for shipping....

Quoted from erichill:

What was the purpose of the pins and why do unpopulated NOS playfields still have the dimples?

#49 4 years ago

Excellent restoration, thread screwed up by arguments over flipper alignment. WTF?

#50 4 years ago

Ok Guys, here is Page 9 of the Strikes & Spares Manual > Look Closely at the Flipper Alignment....they are NOT lined up with the bif bars, However, they ARE Lined up with the In-lane Guides!

Bally_1978_Strikes_and_Spares_Manual_pg 9.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Montréal, QC
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 149.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 149.00
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Machine - For Sale
Weedville, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
5,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellmore, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside