Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JIM_Z
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

My son and I were playing SnS today when the pins stopped going up (retracting when you hit the roll over). I tracked down a blown fuse F21 for Pins 1-10, which I then tracked back to a locked on coil on pin 7 in the back left of the pin setter.
I desoldered the coil and the fuse no longer blows and the game operates as normal, aside from pin 7 of course.
I’m about to purchase a few spares (pun!) of this coil, but wanted to ask here first what would have made it lock on in the first place?

#3 1 year ago

I don’t suppose anyone has an idea of which transistor might control pin 7? I know it’s not a common or popular game. I just picked it up a week ago and don’t have a manual yet.

#4 1 year ago

Just a couple more specific details before I order parts...
The fuse was blowing immediately on powering on the machine, not necessarily when the pin was used. It no longer blows with just the coil disconnected. Is that almost definitely a transistor causing it?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Just a couple more specific details before I order parts...
The fuse was blowing immediately on powering on the machine, not necessarily when the pin was used. It no longer blows with just the coil disconnected. Is that almost definitely a transistor causing it?

The other possibility in that case could be a bad diode on the coil.

#6 1 year ago

Just updating in case anyone else runs into this. My diode tested good out of circuit (leg snipped, and then tested again with it completely removed.)
The manual is on the way. Once I receive that I can track down the transistor.

#7 1 year ago

Updating again in case anyone else runs into this.
I tested a bad transistor and, sure enough, the manual confirmed that it was the one for the coil controlling the 7 pin.
I took out that transistor (12n10L) and replaced it with an IRL530. Also replaced the coil, obviously.

It is now working. For future reference for anyone else, the following transistors control these bowling pins:
Q7- 1 pin
Q8- 2 pin
Q9- 3 pin
Q10- 4 pin
Q11- 5 pin
Q12- 6 pin
Q13- 7 pin
Q14- 8 pin
Q15- 9 pin
Q16- 10 pin
These all go through fuse 21(2amp slo blo).

If none of them reset, it could also be the reset motor. The reset motor is controlled by Q28 and goes through fuse 20 (3/8a Slo Blo)

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Updating again in case anyone else runs into this.
I tested a bad transistor and, sure enough, the manual confirmed that it was the one for the coil controlling the 7 pin.
I took out that transistor (12n10L) and replaced it with an IRL530. Also replaced the coil, obviously.
It is now working. For future reference for anyone else, the following transistors control these bowling pins:
Q7- 1 pin
Q8- 2 pin
Q9- 3 pin
Q10- 4 pin
Q11- 5 pin
Q12- 6 pin
Q13- 7 pin
Q14- 8 pin
Q15- 9 pin
Q16- 10 pin
These all go through fuse 21(2amp slo blo).
If none of them reset, it could also be the reset motor. The reset motor is controlled by Q28 and goes through fuse 20 (3/8a Slo Blo)

Thanks, I have this game and hope I never need this info

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pacific Grove, CA
$ 249.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
1,400 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Upper Freehold, NJ
$ 32.00
$ 14.00
$ 48.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 349.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Stuff
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside