PXL_20240225_222041711 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240225_234640183 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240225_222029623 (resized).jpg
16839118689264304754435103640494 (resized).jpg
16839118526553445703537783568725 (resized).jpg
958E21D3-54E3-47CB-89B0-0497AB1A37FF (resized).jpeg
9AA3E8FE-C8AC-402C-B0AE-04E94C8B3622 (resized).jpeg
C215565D-803F-40E0-BAEE-69B4A968D0BB.jpeg
There are 264 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

The flipper wear on this game and on most Gottlieb games is caused by installing the incorrect flipper rubber. If operators would've used the proper rubber, they wouldn't wear in that area. Since it is NOS, may as well clear it, but I don't think it is necessary if you use the correct rubber. Where did you get that, if you don't mind saying? I know (or thought) PBR had sold all his inventory.

I bought the one from PBR.

What is the correct flipper rubber?

#202 2 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

I bought the one from PBR.
What is the correct flipper rubber?

Gottlieb games use 3/8" thick rubber rings on the flipper. All other games use 1/2". Placing a 1/2" rubber on a Gottlieb flipper causes the rubber to angle the ball down into the playfield every time it is flipped because it won't sit in the 3/8" groove. Alternatively, you can use generic flipper bats and 1/2" rubber.

#203 2 years ago

Can anyone confirm the exact proper leg length for this game? Mine came with powder coated WPC legs and they are not right. It sits high using those legs on the lower leg bolt holes. Should it be 27 on those holes? Or 31 on the higher set of holes? I don't have a manual to confirm.
Thanks for any info.

28 1/2

IMG_3038[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3038[1] (resized).JPG
#204 2 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

28 1/2
[quoted image]

I appreciate you taking the time to do that. It appears you have Williams WPC legs on yours, just how I received mine. Crazy how many used pins I have bought with the wrong legs. LOL

#205 2 years ago

I appreciate you taking the time to do that. It appears you have Williams WPC legs on yours, just how I received mine. Crazy how many used pins I have bought with the wrong legs. LOL

I forgot I did that.... The originals are (i think) 27 1/8

IMG_3039[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3039[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3040[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3040[1] (resized).JPG
#206 2 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

I forgot I did that.... The originals are (i think) 27 1/8
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wish we were closer. I'd offer to buy those. Thanks for confirming the ~27" length.

3 weeks later
#207 2 years ago

New to the club, just picked it up, super clean inside and out, can't imagine it was ever on the street unless someone did a resto.only thing is a few bulbs are out, the manual tells you everything except the bulb numbers, glad I read this topic didn't know about the flipper rubbers, going to get a couple extra sets and may change to led , was told it's already led but don't think so, think I got a fair deal compared to what the rest of the market is in these over priced times. Thanks for the topic.

#208 2 years ago

Finally getting back around to this project Lebowski bowler. Got the full head done now and will get to the cab this weekend.

Question: I was going to paint the side rails, lockdown bar and legs black, but all I have access to is black spray paint. Is this a bad idea? I don't want the paint to chip off. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

lebowski1 (resized).jpeglebowski1 (resized).jpeg
#209 2 years ago

Got to the cab earlier than I thought. Should have it all finished up this weekend.

tbl (resized).jpegtbl (resized).jpeg
#210 2 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Finally getting back around to this project Lebowski bowler. Got the full head done now and will get to the cab this weekend.
Question: I was going to paint the side rails, lockdown bar and legs black, but all I have access to is black spray paint. Is this a bad idea? I don't want the paint to chip off. Any advise is greatly appreciated.[quoted image]

It’s gonna chip… just how bad and when will be determine by how well you prep the surface and what type of wear tear it will be subject to.

Have you considered powder coating or even vinyl wrapping as a potentially cheaper option to powder coating?

#211 2 years ago

I’d just take them to a local powder coating place. I did that with mine because they were slightly rusty and stained. Totally worth it! I got gloss black with gold specks.

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from roar:

It’s gonna chip… just how bad and when will be determine by how well you prep the surface and what type of wear tear it will be subject to.
Have you considered powder coating or even vinyl wrapping as a potentially cheaper option to powder coating?

Good to know, thanks... I sprayed the lockdown bar as a test and it came out okay, but if it is going to likely chip then I'll take it off and get it powder coated with the legs and side rails.

#213 2 years ago

I was giving my SnS a deep clean since it’s been on location it’s entire life and was filthy.

However, I made a big oopsie. Forgot to take pictures of the apron and which bolts/spacers go on the playfield underneath it, and how it is supported.

Anyone have good pictures of a tear down of their SnS for reference?

1 month later
#214 2 years ago

Finally getting back around to this project Lebowski bowler.[quoted image]

Is there someone selling a full decal kit for this? I played a re-themed one of these at a show and thought it was a fun game, and the re-theme made it that much better for me. Felt like a great party game. There's one local to me for sale, thinking about grabbing it and doing the re-theme.

Also interested in peoples thoughts on this, given the limited amount of these made. Considered by many to be controversial? Does it hurt or help future resale?

#215 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I was giving my SnS a deep clean since it’s been on location it’s entire life and was filthy.
However, I made a big oopsie. Forgot to take pictures of the apron and which bolts/spacers go on the playfield underneath it, and how it is supported.
Anyone have good pictures of a tear down of their SnS for reference?

Since none of you schmucks were of help, I’m giving back and posting photos of my shop job. I polished everything by hand and waxed the playfield. I spend hours polishing it and it looks great. The worn areas are too bad, maybe one day a NOS playfield will cross my path.468ED265-ACE9-4CFB-8744-D188C6DDC5A9.jpeg468ED265-ACE9-4CFB-8744-D188C6DDC5A9.jpeg
75BFBA24-7DB1-4691-A5CA-2B6CD5737952.jpeg75BFBA24-7DB1-4691-A5CA-2B6CD5737952.jpeg
82ADA835-A1A8-4F96-B9B8-5D3733F31BB1.jpeg82ADA835-A1A8-4F96-B9B8-5D3733F31BB1.jpeg
0F19C758-1D62-4568-A7A2-6CC5A73BF638.jpeg0F19C758-1D62-4568-A7A2-6CC5A73BF638.jpeg
C215565D-803F-40E0-BAEE-69B4A968D0BB.jpegC215565D-803F-40E0-BAEE-69B4A968D0BB.jpeg99F91025-08B6-4579-94C0-E93A73643BCA.jpeg99F91025-08B6-4579-94C0-E93A73643BCA.jpegBBCB3633-DBF6-4F7D-B66E-6F31B779C7A5.jpegBBCB3633-DBF6-4F7D-B66E-6F31B779C7A5.jpeg4E3A0107-46EE-4ABF-BDBD-8221B2AE2F54.jpeg4E3A0107-46EE-4ABF-BDBD-8221B2AE2F54.jpeg600CF9BB-F29C-489A-A4D0-B4BA4D8C05AA.jpeg600CF9BB-F29C-489A-A4D0-B4BA4D8C05AA.jpeg

#216 2 years ago

Anyone know what one of these things is worth in almost perfect condition? There isn’t any wear on the play field and the cabinet is a 9/10.

#217 2 years ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Is there someone selling a full decal kit for this? I played a re-themed one of these at a show and thought it was a fun game, and the re-theme made it that much better for me. Felt like a great party game. There's one local to me for sale, thinking about grabbing it and doing the re-theme.
Also interested in peoples thoughts on this, given the limited amount of these made. Considered by many to be controversial? Does it hurt or help future resale?

Yeah, Pinstein sells them (not sure if he has any remaining, as I think he just did a limited run of them - just PM him and ask).

I think making the conversion to a Big Lebowski makes it a bit more desirable and easier to sell in the future, but I also struggled with changing the original into something else. My cab was in good shape so I was able to install the decals over the original artwork on most of the machine (not the backbox/head). I could change mine back without too much effort if I ever desired.

I'm going to attempt to change out some of the call outs and possible the music to TBL tracks. Someone has built a system 3 sound board that can be customized, so I'm going to give it a try at some point.

#218 2 years ago

Yeah, Pinstein sells them (not sure if he has any remaining, as I think he just did a limited run of them - just PM him and ask).
I think making the conversion to a Big Lebowski makes it a bit more desirable and easier to sell in the future, but I also struggled with changing the original into something else. My cab was in good shape so I was able to install the decals over the original artwork on most of the machine (not the backbox/head). I could change mine back without too much effort if I ever desired.
I'm going to attempt to change out some of the call outs and possible the music to TBL tracks. Someone has built a system 3 sound board that can be customized, so I'm going to give it a try at some point.

Nice to know about the soundboard. I have thought of doing a Kingpin version or maybe a combo version with a Jesus and Big Ern topper.

#219 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Anyone know what one of these things is worth in almost perfect condition? There isn’t any wear on the play field and the cabinet is a 9/10.

Market seems to be around $1800-$2500 depending on location and condition. Of course something closer to mint could command more.

#220 2 years ago

For me, the conversion would increase the value. There is very little demand for the game from what ive seen over the years. I suspect others would say the opposite however.

It’s a great party game and fun the play with others… playing alone gets boring quickly just like owning a slugfest.

1 month later
#221 1 year ago

Just joined the club a couple of days ago and having fun with it! I had been searching for a couple of years for this game so I was pumped to add it to the collection!

Mine had the coil firing issue in the back but thanks to the info in this thread I was able to easily diagnose and fix the problem. Thanks everyone!

6 months later
#222 1 year ago

It feels like the right side both flipper and kick out coil is weak. The kick out won’t always get the ball all the way out. The left side kicks out quick and flipper is strong. Coils are the same. Is there a good place to start?

958E21D3-54E3-47CB-89B0-0497AB1A37FF (resized).jpeg958E21D3-54E3-47CB-89B0-0497AB1A37FF (resized).jpeg9AA3E8FE-C8AC-402C-B0AE-04E94C8B3622 (resized).jpeg9AA3E8FE-C8AC-402C-B0AE-04E94C8B3622 (resized).jpeg
#223 1 year ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

It feels like the right side both flipper and kick out coil is weak. The kick out won’t always get the ball all the way out. The left side kicks out quick and flipper is strong. Coils are the same. Is there a good place to start?[quoted image][quoted image]

Double check that the ball isn’t kicking out so hard that it’s bouncing right back down. That was happening to me. If it’s not kicking out, the spring needs to be changed. Gottlieb had a service bulletin about this. The spring is too strong.

#224 1 year ago

Double check that the ball isn’t kicking out so hard that it’s bouncing right back down. That was happening to me. If it’s not kicking out, the spring needs to be changed. Gottlieb had a service bulletin about this. The spring is too strong.

Sorry is the out hole that feeds the right flipper. The back works fine fortunately

#225 1 year ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Sorry is the out hole that feeds the right flipper. The back works fine fortunately

I figured it out. The flipper was the eos being too gapped and the kick out was the spring on the lever being too weak so I made it stronger. Played 3 games and it’s playing well

1 month later
#226 1 year ago

Weird issue at the arcade today.
The right diverter plunger kept firing over and over persistently once or twice a minute. Not sure how long it had been running. The coil was VERY hot, but not too hot that I couldn’t hold me hand on it.

The opto tests fine, and after power cycling the game twice it stopped.

Any clue what might be the cause? This is on every day for 15 hours, 7 days a week. I need to ensure this issue is solved and doesn’t occur again!

Background info: When I got this game that coil had already been replaced and was installed backwards, so this has clearly happened before. I’ve had the game for over a year now and this so the first time it’s happened with me.

2 weeks later
#227 1 year ago

I have a friend that owns a SNS game and all of the balls always return to the right side. Even if they started on the left side. I've never worked on a SNS game or a System 3, so need a little help. Fuse is good, no broken wires or anything burnt. The coil on the left side that operates the gate works but the one on the right side never fires. Guessing it might be a transistor (which one) that needs to be replace. What else should be checked?

2 weeks later
#228 1 year ago

Finally got back to work on this SNS with the coil working ~10% of the time, turned out to be an easy fix but a pain in the butt to find. The winding on the coil broke right at the solder lug and with the location and the way it's mounted, you could not see it unless you took the coil out of the bracket.

#229 1 year ago

Weird issue at the arcade today.
The right diverter plunger kept firing over and over persistently once or twice a minute. Not sure how long it had been running. The coil was VERY hot, but not too hot that I couldn’t hold me hand on it.
The opto tests fine, and after power cycling the game twice it stopped.
Any clue what might be the cause? This is on every day for 15 hours, 7 days a week. I need to ensure this issue is solved and doesn’t occur again!
Background info: When I got this game that coil had already been replaced and was installed backwards, so this has clearly happened before. I’ve had the game for over a year now and this so the first time it’s happened with me.

Did you ever figure this out? Mine does this every now and then

#230 1 year ago
Quoted from SNES:

Did you ever figure this out? Mine does this every now and then

Not yet, I cleaned the optos and the problem has yet to return. Strikes N’ Spares is such a great game, I think about selling it sometimes. Then I play it again and realize how much fun it is.

#231 1 year ago

Not yet, I cleaned the optos and the problem has yet to return. Strikes N’ Spares is such a great game, I think about selling it sometimes. Then I play it again and realize how much fun it is.

I cleaned all the optos and thought I was good as well, but recently the issue has come up again. Please let me know if you come up with something if your issue comes back. Hopefully you’re in the clear though!

I love this game as well. It is the most played game at every party I have and people always feel like they can approach the familiarity of bowling. So simple, but so fun!

3 weeks later
#232 1 year ago
Quoted from SNES:

I cleaned all the optos and thought I was good as well, but recently the issue has come up again. Please let me know if you come up with something if your issue comes back. Hopefully you’re in the clear though!
I love this game as well. It is the most played game at every party I have and people always feel like they can approach the familiarity of bowling. So simple, but so fun!

Maybe a cold solder joint? Trace the opto back to the MPU. Perhaps it’s a stray ground. Hard to say!

1 month later
#233 11 months ago

Just got this one, pretty good party game. I was wondering why so much wear at the flippers and sure enough, the wrong rubbers and it's pressing the ball into the playfield

16839118526553445703537783568725 (resized).jpg16839118526553445703537783568725 (resized).jpg16839118689264304754435103640494 (resized).jpg16839118689264304754435103640494 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#234 11 months ago

If anyone is looking for one of these, let me know. Mine is up for sale and is in excellent condition.

8 months later
#235 62 days ago

Digging this thread out of the grave. Joined the club today. Pickup next week.

#236 62 days ago

Congratulations
For what it is, it is a severely underrated party game. I’ve had mine for about 2 years and everyone loves it

#237 58 days ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Digging this thread out of the grave. Joined the club today. Pickup next week.

Nice!!! Love mine. It’s simple and repetitive, but then again, so it bowling. I enjoy it for what it is! Mine is out on location right across from a head shop and those guys come over and play it every night before they head home

#238 57 days ago

One of the best games I have ever owned. Everyone understands bowling.

I can rattle off a complete game of bowling during a commercial timeout watching a hockey game.

If you have the room, it’s an instant add to any collection.

#239 57 days ago

Discovered that it is significantly taller when folded than all my other pins...fortunately we discovered this before I drove the 4 hours up there, lol, so I knew to drive a different vehicle.

#240 57 days ago

Same scenario here as everyone else. It’s the most played game in our arcade along with skeeball. Even when I had 8 pinball machines, people played Strikes N Spares the most. So much fun for parties!

#241 57 days ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Discovered that it is significantly taller when folded than all my other pins...fortunately we discovered this before I drove the 4 hours up there, lol, so I knew to drive a different vehicle.

This happened to me when I picked mine up! Luckily another guy there lived in my area and drove it back for me (only 45 minutes….luckily).
One time I bought a Revenge From Mars about 4 hours away and couldn’t get the head off. I drove back the next day with more tools. 16 hours of driving for that one.

#242 57 days ago

100% getting a skeeball, just hasn't happened yet.

Quoted from shirkle:This happened to me when I picked mine up! Luckily another guy there lived in my area and drove it back for me (only 45 minutes….luckily).
One time I bought a Revenge From Mars about 4 hours away and couldn’t get the head off. I drove back the next day with more tools. 16 hours of driving for that one.

#243 57 days ago

I was just reminded of when I picked mine up I had an issue with getting it fully into the suv. I had it about halfway in and ratchet strapped the rear hatch down. We were about 2.5 hours so not terrible but it was a little bit sketchy haha

#244 55 days ago

So my new strikes n spares has one thing going on that I can't tell if it's factory or an issue or a setting. Every 2 min or so it cycles all the balls, it drains them and reloads them. I reset everything and set it all back up to free play, etc, it plays great and it looks like it was unboxed about 5 years ago and stuck in someone's basement, but this cycling the balls thing has me stumped.

#245 55 days ago

I've reset everything twice, cleared tourney data, cleared bookkeeping data, set it back up from scratch, so unless you really do have to disconnect the battery, the normal fix for this didn't fix mine. I only have the correct amount of balls in the chutes also, which I read can be a thing.

Quoted from jrcmlc:So my new strikes n spares has one thing going on that I can't tell if it's factory or an issue or a setting. Every 2 min or so it cycles all the balls, it drains them and reloads them. I reset everything and set it all back up to free play, etc, it plays great and it looks like it was unboxed about 5 years ago and stuck in someone's basement, but this cycling the balls thing has me stumped.

#246 55 days ago

Does anyone make protectors like cliffy for this thing? The edges of all the holes are like brand new, there looks like effectively zero wear on anything, be cool to protect it while it's all like new.

#247 55 days ago

Anyone near Virginia want to sell theirs? I am willing to drive up to 4 or 5 hours.

#248 55 days ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

I've reset everything twice, cleared tourney data, cleared bookkeeping data, set it back up from scratch, so unless you really do have to disconnect the battery, the normal fix for this didn't fix mine. I only have the correct amount of balls in the chutes also, which I read can be a thing.

I had a weird occasional click like the game was trying to reload a ball from behind the pins sometimes. I cleaned all the optos (one is really hard to get to in the back) and that cured most of this issue. Still get it occasionally.

Also, idk if I’m unlucky but every Gottlieb I’ve ever had has had a cracked solder joint somewhere that I needed to reflow. I don’t think that is your issue, but worth checking. I’d start with opto cleaning though.

#249 54 days ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Does anyone make protectors like cliffy for this thing? The edges of all the holes are like brand new, there looks like effectively zero wear on anything, be cool to protect it while it's all like new.

Make sure you have the proper flipper rubbers. Incorrect rubbers tend to accelerate wear at the flippers.

Adding mylar above the flippers might be a consideration.

#250 53 days ago

I fixed the ball cycling Thing by shorting power and ground on the CMOS chip to reset it without having to disconnect the battery set the game back up from scratch no more ball cycling

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

There are 264 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strikes-n%e2%80%99-spares-club/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.