(Topic ID: 88914)

Striker Exteme Display Blank And I think it's the Display Board?

By m00dawg

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by m00dawg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I got drafted to look at a Striker Extreme. The attract mode seems to work on the playfield, though it will not start a game. Turning it on makes a "donk" kinda sound. Leaving the service switch while turning it on makes a big drum roll sound.

The display would occasionally flash to life, sort of, but is basically dead. I tried using my display from my TNG and was able to get the right side to light up sort but then it would go away. Based upon that, and that the MPU seems to be functioning, it makes me think the display board is bad. The DMD itself I tried on my STTNG and it's a goner at this point (it was probably already on its away out). Connectors look good and the machine hasn't been moved in years.

That is what I came up with, but not sure if I might be missing anything easy perhaps before I tell the dude he'll need to throw down for a new DMD and display board.

#2 9 years ago

Maybe to ask the question differently - is there a troubleshooting/repair manual for early 2000 Stern games I can go check out? The Striker Extreme manual's troubleshooting steps all center around having a display to work with. :/

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from m00dawg:

I tried using my display from my TNG and was able to get the right side to light up sort but then it would go away.

I'd make sure the HV Power supply on your Striker hasn't failed. Usually when a good known display fails to completely light up, it's due to low HV. The display in the striker may have gotten old and due to increased current draw, caused the supply to fail as well.

#4 9 years ago

Aha that's certainly possible! The odd part is that, when the display would light up, there weren't really any graphics on it. Maybe sort of a squished image, but it was hard to tell and was only on the right side. After about 15 seconds, it would just go away. The display was definitely garbled, though the last time I looked at it, on occasion, the now broken display would have moments where it would show an image for a split second.

I guess that makes me think the HV section may certainly be to blame. Surely it's more than just the tiny board on the top left?

#5 9 years ago

On a Stern, yes; the tiny board on the top left is the HV power supply. That's it. The HV required for the plasma displays is very low current.

One thing that's absolutely nuts; and I only did it because I sometimes had machines next to each other in the shop is I'd streth the data output ribbon cable and run it to a DMD in a machine that worked. That would tell you if your DMD controller is fine. "sort of a squished image" worries me it might be more than the HV supply. But the fact it's just a right side and going away points to the HV supply too.

#6 9 years ago

Ah well if that's the case, I can probably just pull the board and see if I can fix it by replacing some parts once I look up what the proper voltages should be right? Do I need an HV probe for that?

Actually hmm...if a new X-Pin display is $259, I kinda thing I should just toss the HV board and just go that route. I know they have the grid issues (which the Vishay's don't?) but I think it may be the more reliable route to go.

It is an on-location machine in a hole in the wall kinda bar that's been around (and probably never cleaned) since about 1945. Pretty sure the Striker has been in the same position, without hardly any maintenance unless it fully breaks down, since it was purchased, so multiple failures wouldn't surprise me In fact, once I get the display fix, I'm just hoping that will tell me what else is wrong with the machine.

He has a Dolly Parton (the first machine I'm trying to fix starting with its rectifier board) and a Cyclone.

The poor Cyclone has had some bad work done to it. I don't think I can hope to fix that one on location. It's a mess of wire nuts and bad field repairs and that's just really after glancing at it. It looks like multiple circuits are tied together...bad shape that thing :/

#7 9 years ago

Hmm actually, in looking at the X-Pin offerings, it seems much easier to use the HV power supply. I thought all of them ended up just taking 5V. If that's the case, I'll have to check/repair/replace the HV supply anyway. So I'll have to look at that one way or another.

Thanks for the help, by the way! Really pointed me in the right direction!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.95
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/striker-exteme-display-blank-and-i-think-its-the-display-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.