• Latest reply 1 year ago by tripplett
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C2009949-FA79-4A28-A928-14821AB32B90 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

I'm working on a Strike Zone with a friend of mine and we are pulling our hair out. There is something blowing the 15A fuse. We are pretty sure it's something on the playfield, but could easily be wrong. I've gone over and over it and can't find the culprit. I'm hoping someone here can give some ideas. Here is what is happening.

1. If the Tilt relay is NOT tripped, it will blow the fuse immediately when flipping the power switch. If the Tilt relay is tripped, the machine will power on with GI lights and the Lock relay will hold.

2. When the start button is pressed, the machine will start the reset sequence. The score reels will reset and we get to the point where the reset relay drops out, there is then a pause, then the fuse blows. That pause is where I would assume that the outhole relay should pull in, but it doesn't. The outhole relay doesn't move at all during the sequence even though the coil checks out (I did desolder it and check it).

I've gone over both sides of the playfield in detail. I can't find any switch issues or solder drips that could be shorting something.

I'm sure this is a little vague, but maybe there is a clue here to someone? The machine is at my friends house, so will be a delay in answering questions that require looking at the machine. Thanks in advance.

#2 1 year ago

Does it blow if you have the playfield disconnected, or propped up?
At least that would help narrow it down.
This is where those circuit breakers soldered to blown fuses come in handy.

Which fuse is blowing? There is a 15A on the backbox lights and a 15A on the 24v path.

Dave

#3 1 year ago

I’m working on the same pin right now for a friend. The top of the playfield is stripped because we are touching it up right now. I am replacing the lock relay today. Once I have that done I’ll go through the reset sequence a few times and let you know if I have any other thoughts that dgAmpGuy didn’t mention (his idea of unplugging is a good one to narrow it down).

Quoted from JRC6000:

If the Tilt relay is NOT tripped, it will blow the fuse immediately when flipping the power switch. If the Tilt relay is tripped, the machine will power on with GI lights and the Lock relay will hold.

I just looked at the schematics and one of the things downstream from the tilt relay is the match unit. What happens if you change the jumper in the back box to turn off matching? That would rule out everything involved with the match unit.

Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Which fuse is blowing? There is a 15A on the backbox lights and a 15A on the 24v path.

Agreed… it would help to know which 15A is blowing.

C2009949-FA79-4A28-A928-14821AB32B90 (resized).jpegC2009949-FA79-4A28-A928-14821AB32B90 (resized).jpeg
#4 1 year ago

dgAmpGuy and tripplett - thanks so much for the thoughts. I've convinced my friend to move the pin to my workshop so I can really dive into it. I'll look into these questions over the next few days and respond then. Appreciate the help.

#5 1 year ago

It's always good to get a few other eyes on a problem . After I got the pin to my place, I went over the match unit (which I hadn't done before). turns out someone had turned the coil sideways so one of the lugs was touching the back of one of the light bulb sockets. There's the short!

Thanks for giving me your thoughts!

#6 1 year ago

Awesome, glad you got it sorted out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Inner Orbit Pinball
Unisex
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strike-zone-start-up-fuse-blowing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.