Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_4442 (resized).JPG
C3EF1604-2CC0-4C1E-A49C-15A7E6EC6DCE (resized).jpeg
73A4C742-47FD-4D9D-BFFE-8607CAF1B06D (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I'm at my wit's end with this one. The left flipper is weak. Not weak enough to where the game is unplayable, but it will not make it up the Chun Li ramp at all. Only makes it half way up and comes back down. I've replaced the coil, installed a rebuild kit, replaced the flipper switch, replaced the fuse, angled the machine fast and slow, and it's getting 54.14vdc when the button is pressed. It's just too weak. I have done everything possible that I can think of. There must be a compatible replacement coil that's more powerful than the factory A-25959. You can't defeat all the characters if you can't hit the ramp. ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks - Mike.

#2 6 years ago

According to Pinwiki, it looks like the flippers use end of stroke switches that can be filed. I sometimes find new switches need to be filed a bit to get them working properly. Also make sure the end of stroke switch is gapped properly.

I copied this from Pinwiki as well:

5.13.2 Flipper Loss of Power

Likewise, flippers can become weak due to mechanical or electrical issues. The most common sources for weak flippers are due to either pitted / fouled EOS or flipper button cabinet switches. Both of these switch styles can be burnished with an ignition file to dress the switch contact faces. If switches are severely pitted, replacement is recommended.

As for mechanical issues, it is common for System 3 flippers to crack or break their associated flipper bushing. Replacement of broken flipper bushings is recommended.

Have you replaced the flipper bushings?

#3 6 years ago

100% of the flipper assembly has been replaced, including the cabinet flipper switches and the bushings. I adjusted the EOS switches as best as I could. No change. I forgot to mention that the R/H flipper is also weaker than it should be, but since the Zangief ramp is short, the ball gets up there ok. The issue isn’t limited to the left flipper.

#4 6 years ago

Is 54 vdc a normal range for Gottlieb? Trying to figure out what’s going on. Gottlieb flippers are pretty simple design wise.

I had a weak coil on my gladiators today, replacing the sleeve made a huge difference. But as you mentioned you replaced all that stuff already.

#5 6 years ago

So I found something interesting. The caps that came on the rebuild kit are 2.2uf. Every other cap on every other coil on the SF is 2.2k. The caps on our Nightmare On Elm Street are 2.2k as well. I assume this is the issue but I think the 2.2uf translates to 2.2k. Am I wrong?

73A4C742-47FD-4D9D-BFFE-8607CAF1B06D (resized).jpeg73A4C742-47FD-4D9D-BFFE-8607CAF1B06D (resized).jpeg
C3EF1604-2CC0-4C1E-A49C-15A7E6EC6DCE (resized).jpegC3EF1604-2CC0-4C1E-A49C-15A7E6EC6DCE (resized).jpeg

#6 6 years ago

What happens if you jumper the eos blades together and then try hitting the flippers? NOTE you are bypassing the low voltage hold so don’t hold the flipper otherwise you will blow the fuse!

#7 6 years ago

Found the solution to this problem. Posting for posterity. Gottlieb released a service bulletin for the System 3 games to change out the flipper coils from A-25959 to A-29876 because the factory A-25959 coils were too weak. I installed two A-29876 coils and man, what a difference. It's like the power doubled. So that was the issue, the wrong coils were installed. No one ever performed the service bulletin. If you look at the very last line of the bulletin, it says to replace the existing coil with an A-29876 and to replace the fuse with a 4a. If you have a System 3 machine and don't have A-29876 coils, I highly recommend installing them. I need to do this on our Nightmare On Elm Street as well since it also has the A-25959 coils.

IMG_4442 (resized).JPGIMG_4442 (resized).JPG
IMG_4449 (resized).JPGIMG_4449 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

Found the solution to this problem. Posting for posterity. Gottlieb released a service bulletin for the System 3 games to change out the flipper coils from A-25959 to A-29876 because the factory A-25959 coils were too weak. I installed two A-29876 coils and man, what a difference. It's like the power doubled. So that was the issue, the wrong coils were installed. No one ever performed the service bulletin. If you look at the very last line of the bulletin, is says to replace the existing coil with an A-29876 and to replace the fuse with a 4a. If you have a System 3 machine and don't have A-29876 coils, I highly recommend installing them. I need to do this on our Nightmare On Elm Street as well since it also has the A-25959 coils.

I found out this information in a restoration thread and shared it in the SF2 owners thread as well.

I was having the exact same issue. Ordered a new coil and just need to install it now.

Glad you got it working!

edit: Did you end up replacing the fuse with a 4 amp fuse?

#9 6 years ago

Yup. A 3a was in there originally. You obviously want to use a 4a since it's pulling more power that the original coils.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-ii-weak-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.