Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BoevrkE (resized).jpg
20160721_080201_(resized).jpg
backglass_(resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

1993 Gottlieb Street Fighter II

Ramp never worked, I just never noticed it was supposed to move. I am new to pins, cut me some slack :p
Ran diagnostics, solenoid doesnt fire but the other ramp does, so that eliminates the fuse being the issue since they share 1
Bought game from Craigslist about 2 months ago, friend knew the seller.
no mods except changing out the terrible backglass "art" , keeping the original in case I ever sell.
Last service was cleaning and waxing the play field and installing new rubbers and replacing the ball. I did change the solenoid to the one from pinball resource that is suggested but it did not fix the issue.
no battery corrosion , has battery holder off the PCB, fresh batteries installed
no blown fuses , the fuse that controls this feature is good because the other ramp works.
no magic smoke smell
no obvious past work done
I have a voltmeter and know how to use it (just dont know what the voltages should be, I lack a manual)
I have an iron and know how to solder
I'm in Newark,De
I can take pictures if need be

backglass_(resized).jpgbackglass_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

How about any wires off that particular coil? (Did not read he changed coils)

#3 7 years ago

happened to me once, its probably a transistor that needs replaced. I can figure it out when I get home off my manual for you.

can you pm me where you got that translite? I'd love to put that in my game!

Im pretty sure its transistor Q8 but I'll double check.

#4 7 years ago

that'd be awesome. I sent you a PM about the translite.

#5 7 years ago

Hmmm, it would be easier if you had a manual. Unfortunately Gottlieb doesn't allow there's to be put online like the other manufacturers do. Your best bet is to order one from pinball resources.

First step should be to make sure the ramp freely moves up and down and nothing is binding. If the plunger won't move at all, it means the coil has melted down, and needs to be replaced.

If this checks out ok, you may have a bad driver coil, or a broken coil lead or wire inside the coil. You can find a good guide to trouble shooting the driver here: http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/#driver

I hope this helps..

#6 7 years ago

So the transistor part number is
Rfp12n10L, or IRL530, gottlieb part number xo-947

Solenoid 8 is right ramp flap
Q9 goes to solenoid 8
Q8 goes to solenoid 7 which is the left ramp flap

Make sure the coil isn't burned out and you can move the flap with your hand freely, otherwise replace the coil as well.

Cheers

#7 7 years ago

So the ramp moves freely if I move the rod that's inside the coil. I cleaned the EoS switch but Im not sure where the transistors are. As mentioned earlier, this is a new coil from pinball resource and I plan to replace the working coil as well since the one in there is the one known to burn out and melt.

Can you guys take a pic of the transistor?

#8 7 years ago

The transistor is on the solenoid driver board in the back box. 20160721_080201_(resized).jpg20160721_080201_(resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

That is a HUGE help, I'll check it and see if its burnt out or anything, probably end up replacing Q8 and Q9 as a preventive measure.

#10 7 years ago

Before you replace ANYTHING, take a test wire (jumper), connect it to the metal tab on the transistor and touch the other end to ground. If you get no response from the coil, it's likely that your transistor is burned out. You can then test the coil separately using power from another working coil to isolate that coil's performance. I had a transistor go out in my A13. Everyone was telling me it was the coil. Indeed, it was the transistor instead. Good luck!

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from PinPall007:

Before you replace ANYTHING, take a test wire (jumper), connect it to the metal tab on the transistor and touch the other end to ground. If you get no response from the coil, it's likely that your transistor is burned out. You can then test the coil separately using power from another working coil to isolate that coil's performance. I had a transistor go out in my A13. Everyone was telling me it was the coil. Indeed, it was the transistor instead. Good luck!

not accurate info, if you jump the transistor to ground it will complete its job and fire the coil if all the wiring is correct and the coil is good. this means the transistor is bad because you had to jump it to make the connector work.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

if you jump the transistor to ground it will complete its job and fire the coil if all the wiring is correct and the coil is good. this means the transistor is bad because you had to jump it to make the connector work.

Exactly my point! Why would you replace the transistor without checking it first?

FYI, Chaz at Stern Pinball suggested this to me when other pin owners were telling me the coil was bad. Testing the transistor was how Chaz recommended isolating the problem and he was right. I replaced the transistor and the circuit was up again. Also, I prefer to test things before replacing them. It just makes good sense and saves time and money. Just a thought...

Do whatever you want.

#13 7 years ago

I'll ground out the mosfet , cant hurt anything.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from PinPall007:

Exactly my point! Why would you replace the transistor without checking it first?
FYI, Chaz at Stern Pinball suggested this to me when other pin owners were telling me the coil was bad. Testing the transistor was how Chaz recommended isolating the problem and he was right. I replaced the transistor and the circuit was up again. Also, I prefer to test things before replacing them. It just makes good sense and saves time and money. Just a thought...
Do whatever you want.

yeah its the correct thing to do but your wording is incorrect is all i was pointing out, just clarifying the correct information.

you said:

Quoted from PinPall007:

connect it to the metal tab on the transistor and touch the other end to ground. If you get no response from the coil, it's likely that your transistor is burned out.

if you jump it and it doesnt work then the coil is bad or the wiring and potentially the transistor. if you jump it and it works the transistor is bad.

#15 7 years ago

Got the same problem on my Stargate, Q8 burned, replace it, work good for one week and next was Q9 and one more week Q2 and solenoid burned too with a lot of smoke, replace both and did the most important work to do on gottlieb by weld all ground wires together because the problem comes from the five plugs with white wires at the top left of transformer. My pinball works find since I did that
You can find tutorial at pinrepair.com
Good luck

#16 7 years ago

I registered just to say that I have the same problem with my sf2. I could have open this very same thread myself.

#17 7 years ago

One thing I learned about working with mosfets on my SF2: They are very sensitive to static electricity, handle them carefully before you install them.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Quoted from PinPall007:connect it to the metal tab on the transistor and touch the other end to ground. If you get no response from the coil, it's likely that your transistor is burned out.

if you jump it and it doesnt work then the coil is bad or the wiring and potentially the transistor. if you jump it and it works the transistor is bad.

There is nothing wrong with my semantics. Simply put, don't replace a component before testing it. It saves time and money. Here is the full quote. FYI: It really helps to quote the full statement, as opposed to taking FOX News soundbites and placing them within a construed context. Just a thought...

Quoted from PinPall007:

Before you replace ANYTHING, take a test wire (jumper), connect it to the metal tab on the transistor and touch the other end to ground. If you get no response from the coil, it's likely that your transistor is burned out. You can then test the coil separately using power from another working coil to isolate that coil's performance.

#19 7 years ago

lol dude, you just dont get what im saying

you said after jumping it "if you get NO response from the coil, it's likely that your transistor is burned out"

in reality, if you jump it and get NO response, something other than the transistor is not working as well as the possibility of the transistor being bad. If you jump it and it fires the coil, that means the transistor is bad and by completing its path to ground you fired the coil, in this case replacing it should fix your issue as everything else, ie wiring and the coil, work properly.

just saving the guy a headache from your incorrect statement.

just re-read your words and you will see you misspoke on how the transistor ground test method works.

#20 7 years ago

nice translight

#21 7 years ago

His wording was a little off but I knew what he meant. Good news is, the mosfet is the issue, shorting it out fires the ramp. Im going to order and replace Q8 and Q9 mosfets , Q2 was already replaced. And Im going to go ahead and replace the other star gate ramp coil while Im at it.

Thank you EVERYONE for your help!

Quoted from timtim:

nice translight

Thanks. I designed it in photoshop made my own gottlieb logo and had a buddy print it up for me. If you want one just email [email protected] and tell him you want one of Malenko's SFII pinball translights. I believe the going rate is $48 shipped in the US. He already has the art file on hand, and his name is Ken.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

His wording was a little off but I knew what he meant. Good news is, the mosfet is the issue, shorting it out fires the ramp. Im going to order and replace Q8 and Q9 mosfets , Q2 was already replaced. And Im going to go ahead and replace the other star gate ramp coil while Im at it.
Thank you EVERYONE for your help!

Thanks. I designed it in photoshop made my own gottlieb logo and had a buddy print it up for me. If you want one just email [email protected] and tell him you want one of Malenko's SFII pinball translights. I believe the going rate is $48 shipped in the US. He already has the art file on hand, and his name is Ken.

Nice! Hope you get it up and running as soon as the parts come in. Sfii is such an under appreciated game imo. If you need anymore info from the manual lmk

#23 7 years ago

I got around to ordering the MOSFETs today. 88cents a pop and $5 shipping (from mouser) I almost ordered like 30 of them to make it worth the cost of shipping

So if luck is on my side, I'll get them this week and get the game back to 100% Just wanted to say thank you again for all the help.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I got around to ordering the MOSFETs today. 88cents a pop and $5 shipping (from mouser) I almost ordered like 30 of them to make it worth the cost of shipping
So if luck is on my side, I'll get them this week and get the game back to 100% Just wanted to say thank you again for all the help.

Yeah I ordered like 20 when I needed one for the same reason lol

#25 7 years ago

Not easy to replace at all, sometimes wreck electronic tracks. Change only those who are burn and try to play for a week...if another transistor burned, just shunt all ground wires (White wires at top left of the transformer) because the problem comes from a bad connection at ground plugs. Good luck

#26 7 years ago

I've replaced a metric ton of caps, resistors, surface mount chips, mosfets, etc in my years of arcade PCB and monitor repair so I'm pretty sure I wont ruin any traces. I still need to "bullet proof" my Comet's power board by changing out those MOSFETs and putting in either wire or zero resistance resistors. Maybe this will motivate me. Maybe not ha!

#27 7 years ago

so I jinxed myself and lifted a trace, so I had to jump a wire. its not as pretty as it used to be, but it works! Multiball is a little easier when the jackpot target is the vega shot and not the chunli ramp shot!

#28 7 years ago

Glad you got it sorted out!

#29 7 years ago

Glad you got it working again. I'd love to see some pictures of your machine after you wrap it.

2 months later
#30 7 years ago

I'm having a gate problem as well.

I need this flyback diode/resistor. It broke off the left ramp and I can't figure out how to find a replacement.

BoevrkE (resized).jpgBoevrkE (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 7.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-ii-right-stargate-ramp?hl=benhurr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.