(Topic ID: 97724)

Street Fighter club, all welcome.....ready, set, shoot!

By Damon

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,404 posts
  • 143 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 52 days ago by Parkshow30
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Flipper Schematic (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7868980_0 (resized).jpg
20231114_164512 (resized).jpg
flipper diagram (resized).png
Pinside_forum_7860116_0 (resized).jpg
20231109_140205 (resized).jpg
20231109_135954 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7848151_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7848151_1 (resized).jpg
20231102_131655 (resized).jpg
20231102_131352 (resized).jpg
20230417_201716 (resized).jpg
18103D72-1BCF-4262-ADE2-A2B8DC2DE086 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_1787855_390879 (resized).jpg
20210611_144033 (resized).jpg
20210611_144005 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#132 8 years ago

Has anyone tried to remove the factory Mylar that covers most of the lower playfield? What method did you use, and were there any issues with paint/graphics pulling up?

I'd like to fix a wear issues, and clear my playfield.

#134 8 years ago

I found the attached photo from my tear down. It shows the gate the spring is attached to on the top side of the playfield. I hope this helps.

IMG_3362_(resized).JPGIMG_3362_(resized).JPG

And Yes, my SF2 was that dirty when I got it.

#137 8 years ago

I think the purpose of the spring is to close the gate after the ball passes through. I'm not sure which eyelet the bottom of the spring attached to, but the top of the spring attaches to the clip. I would set it up with just enough tension to close the gate after the ball goes through.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

My issue is, even I do attach the springs ends the mechanism doesn't move. It's still just a bound up spring

You may want to disconnect the spring and see if the gate is binding up. If it swings freely, the add more tension on it to get it to close.

#143 8 years ago

Well I got the mylar off my Street Fighter 2 tonight. It came off very easy with a heat gun. The downside is almost all the glue stayed on the playfield. Now I have a huge mess to try to clean up.

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Good to hear. You are lucky, usually the paint will come up on system 3. Well done!

It lost just a little paint around a few of the light inserts. Nothing a little black paint won't fix.

#158 8 years ago

Wow, that looks a lot nicer than mine. However, I pick mine up because it was in bad shape. I wanted to learn how to do a restoration on a machine of lesser value.

#163 8 years ago

I've never seen blades for any Gottlieb System 3, let alone street fighter.

On a positive note, I got a box of parts from Ireland today! My hunt for a replacement playfield window insert had finally ended!

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

nice, what other parts did you score?

I think my SF2 sat on someone's porch in direct sunlight. All the plastics are either faded or warped. I got replacement walls for the car pit, the apron cover, as well as the cover for the car pit.

Previously I had picked up replacements for all the plastic ramps.

I think I now have all the parts to start putting it back together after I finish restoring the playfield.

#171 8 years ago

Wow, I thought my SF2 was a mess. Good for you to try to save it.

1 week later
#185 8 years ago

I've got rusty side rails to deal with too. How do you plan on handling those?

2 months later
#212 7 years ago

Well I have hit the point in the restoration of my SF2 that I am going to have to decide what to do with the cabinet.

The front of the cabinet is pretty messed up. It looks like it had a lock bar on the cabinet, and it has lots of holes, and nicks in the front.  Front  Front
The good news is that the Gottlieb graphic is in pretty good shape. However the fire ball graphics are pretty shot. Right now I am going to try to fill the gashes and holes in the front, and then try to figure out what I am going to do about the fireball graphics. We will see how much of them are left after I finish fixing the holes.

It looks like the cabinet sat in the sun a lot, and the clear on the sides has started to bubble. It is worse in the blue areas.  side side So along with the bare area, the rest of the blue is bubbled. The rest of the side graphics need some touching up, but nothing too bad. The other option I have here is to sand the whole thing down, paint it blue, and use the SF2 Video game decals that are readily available on Ebay. The finish may look better in the end, but it will no long look like the original game.

I am also wondering that clear to use on the cabinet after I do the touchups to try to hide my paint patches.
I haven't even looked at the head yet, but it needs alot of work too.

1 year later
#385 6 years ago

I have a set I purchased for the SF2 I am restoring. Obviously, I haven't installed them yet, so I can't comment on their performance, or if the effect the game play. I can tell you they are removable if you don't like them. You can buy them directly from cliff at http://www.passionforpinball.com.
I don't think he has them listed on his site, but if you email him, I bet he would make you a set.

I've had cliffy's on a few machine, and I personally think they are well worth installing before the wear starts.

2 weeks later
#443 6 years ago

I have it from a reliable source that Cliff may be working on a new set the Sagat hole, and ball drop/eject area at the top left of the playfield.

2 weeks later
#514 6 years ago

In the next couple of weeks, I may pick up a complete populated playfield. If I do, I will post some pictures about how to take the upper playfield apart.

1 week later
#573 6 years ago

Well I got over and saw Cliffy of www.passionforpinball.com yesterday, and he gave me two new armor pieces to test fit on the machine I am restoring. I still need to fasten them down to check the final fit, but I think they will do pretty well.

IMG_5844 (resized).jpgIMG_5844 (resized).jpg

#576 6 years ago

Well I checked the fit tonight, and the holes line up pretty well. If you want a set, go ahead and email Cliffy. They may not be on his website, but I'm sure he will sell them to you.

#587 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I'm placing an order with Marcos & need to replace some incandescent bulbs on the playfield & the flashers located on the right side of the playfield.
Does anyone know what kind of bulbs are needed for SF2? I can't seem to be able to find any information in my manual....
Thanks

I am about 90% certain that all the GI and matrix bulbs are just #47 bulbs, and all the flashers are all #89. I will be home later this afternoon pacific time

2 months later
#637 6 years ago

Does anyone know where I could buy a replacement connector for one of the plugs for the machine I am restoring? It is the 16 pin connector for the GI in the back box.

IMG_6170 (resized).JPGIMG_6170 (resized).JPG

#639 6 years ago

I was looking at this again this morning. I have a bunch of 9 pin 0.156 connectors on hand. I may use one of those as I only need 6 pins.

2 weeks later
#646 6 years ago

A quick question for SF2 owners....

In the process of doing my restoration, I am having trouble locating a source for the decal that goes around the outside edge of the car-smash window in the playfield. Has anyone found a source for these? I checked with pbresources, and they don't have any.

2 weeks later
#660 6 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

How did you get a full car in there? I had to put the shell in only as the metal rod wouldn't fit under it

I just finished putting together my new car for my SF2 restoration project. I had to cut my car up quite a bit. You can see what I did here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-restoration-street-fighter-or-this-thing-should-be-dead/page/2#post-4142705

1 month later
#679 6 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

I still have no idea who the Count Up round works. lol

I seem to recall it expires when it hits 40m.

#681 6 years ago

I need to finance another project... So my fully restored SF2 is for sale.

SOLD!
Machine - For Trade
Fully restored (full original status) - “Up for sale or Trade, a restored Gottlieb Street Fighter 2. I have been working on this game for about 2 years, and you can see the transformation I performed here: https://pinsi...”
2018-02-28
Bakersfield, CA
Trade
Archived after: 14 days
Viewed: 872 times
Contributed to Pinside

1 week later
#713 6 years ago

Take my advice, don’t try to remove the pressed in metal guides. They will splinter the playfield coming out.

1 week later
#743 6 years ago

From my experience, you can use a heavier car on the form, you just have to make sure it has some way to roll so the release mechanism does not bind.

3 weeks later
#777 6 years ago

Just as an FYI, have a bunch of SF2 playfield parts left over from my restoration project. So if you are looking for any parts, hit me up.

I have already sold the lower playfield, and all the playfield plastics I have, so here is more or less what I have left:

Pile Driver Ramp, good condition
Chi-lee Ramp, Ok condition (has a crack in it)
Upper playfield (has one small wear spot on it)
Chi-lee flipper assembly, with motor
Both left and right star ramps (bad condition, the flaps are very rusty. I tried to re-blue one set, but the color is not uniform)
All the white and red standup targets
All playfield roll-over switches
All the under playfield lamp boards
Complete apron (good condition)
All the wire form ramps (could use polishing up). Note: These things are pretty long, and shipping them will be expensive.
One set of legs (some rut and pitting)
Subway assemblies (ok condition)
Left and right VUK assemblies
Kicker assemblies
Ramp lift assemblies (both left and right)
Miscellaneous plastic posts
Original Transite
Complete playfield wiring harness

This summer I hope to have a restored and cleared playfield available. I Just need to sand it and put one more coat of clear on it. Unfortunately, this must wait until it is warm enough to paint in the mountains of So Cal.

1 week later
#808 6 years ago
Quoted from SmasheyBashe:

Made a post in the tech forum about this but thought it might get more hits over here -
So, picked up a pretty minty Street fighter pin a few months back and have been living with a few issues that I'd like to get sorted and would appreciate some help. This is my only experience with a Gottlieb, all my current and previous pins are williams, and golly there's some strange stuff with Gottlieb.
First off and probably most annoying is the weak VUKs on both sides, though the left is worse than the right. I found this old topic, https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-2-weak-upkickers, and have investigated the reccomendations of that thread and am thinking the filter board is likley aslo the culprit on my game. Anything else to check before ordering the board?
The other issues that have me stumped are:
-The car crunch reset. Intermittently either does not work or only partially resets the car, other times it works fine.
-Intermittently have to flip after draining to trigger end of ball/next ball. Doesn't do it all the time, but intermittently will have to hit either flipper button after draining to end the ball. I can't seem to detect any pattern as to when this will or won't happen.
-The left inlane special light is always on, and when the E. Honda light is flashing this light will flash as well.
There is also cliffys installed and the one for the left VUK hole is lifting, what would be the best way to get this back flush

Given that both VUKs are acting up at once, I wonder if this might not be a power supply issue. Ive seen it on it on WPC games where the high voltage bridge fails, and as a result you only get half the required voltage to the coils and the operate very weakly. I don't have the SF2 manual in front of me, so I can't help with troubleshooting right now.

2 months later
#905 5 years ago

Hey all, I still have a bunch of playfield parts available for sale. I have put some of them up on Ebay. Search for user mountain_pinball and you will find my items. PM me here and I will give you a deal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-club-all-welcomeready-set-shoot?tu=uncivil_engineer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.