(Topic ID: 97724)

Street Fighter club, all welcome.....ready, set, shoot!

By Damon

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,341 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Robotworkshop
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220621_221006 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220207_191804 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220207_191336 (resized).jpg
5845A96C-577E-4283-A72F-47B99147D023 (resized).jpeg
BEDC83C1-0649-4796-814E-995E28594B16 (resized).jpeg
0CB36165-9B63-417A-BAFC-46EF22080897 (resized).jpeg
9B46A6FE-15F6-4183-8D26-B530AD00389A (resized).jpeg
B6E4353A-D370-43BB-B7E7-2526F57D052B (resized).jpeg
2ADF5E96-289E-4304-8325-C3021FDD3DE0 (resized).jpeg
45780C1E-F9B4-43A2-8FB2-8FC1A88C6FDA (resized).jpeg
2AD3B3EF-AB9C-4FEA-8787-6517475ACFF6 (resized).jpeg
9EBF687D-0F34-4A9A-A053-EE1F97BBF032 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20211015-140656_Metal Pro (resized).jpg
AF40A220-DED0-405A-AE34-F50EFB13D2F9 (resized).jpeg
AEA8E185-8DD6-41DE-B4D1-26C668EFA0DC (resized).jpeg
sf2 (resized).png

There are 1,341 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 27.
#501 4 years ago

I do believe I'm the second person on the planet to have a colorized SFII other than Malenko the Magnificent.

20731065_10210043703797404_2102033093_n[1] (resized).jpg

#502 4 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

I do believe I'm the second person on the planet to have a colorized SFII other than Malenko the Magnificent.

I do believe that I am a little jealous!

That looks great with the new translite too. Never should have traded mine away; now everyone wants money for them.

#503 4 years ago

You can still buy them on here. STPcore sells them.

#504 4 years ago

that looks slick smithers. well done. some day i will be there.

#505 4 years ago

Any tips on how to best teardown the pf top? Where to start etc.

#506 4 years ago

The upper play field? Good luck. I have a NOS upper and after taking a look at the upper assembly I chickened out. I don't even know where to start! I need to do it though as the exit habitrail is dislocated from the under side of the upper deck.

#507 4 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

The upper play field? Good luck. I have a NAP upper and after taking a look at the upper assembly I chickened out. I don't even know where to start! I need to do it though as the exit habitrail is dislocated from the under side of the upper deck.

NAP?

Well, basically the whole top playfield as much as needed for me to clean every creek.

I dont really have any choice, as the machine is SO DIRTY =)
But I think of filming while we are doing it, and of course photos, so maybe it can help some others.

#508 4 years ago

Honestly that would be great! NAP was an autocorrect. I typed NOS =New Old Stock

#509 4 years ago

I think you are Asking. What's NOS mean
New Old Stock
Refers to original part that's brand new
Some use the term for older reproduction stuff as it technecly is old stock that could be new as in never installed .
And once used it's used!

#510 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I think you are Asking. What's NOS mean
New Old Stock
Refers to original part that's brand new
Some use the term for older reproduction stuff as it technecly is old stock that could be new as in never installed .
And once used it's used!

yeah I know what NOS is, but wrote that before he edited it from NAS to NOS but thanks

#511 4 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

Honestly that would be great! NAP was an autocorrect. I typed NOS =New Old Stock

Will probobaly not be before end of next week/start of the following week after that as I am going on vacation, but will do all i can to set up a camera.

#512 4 years ago

That'll be a major contribution to the community. That upper field is a labyrinth and there is no documentation of the disassembly process out there. Trust me, I've searched. Thanks!

#513 4 years ago

I too have an NOS upper playfield that also needs installation. I am holding off until I do a complete cleaning of the machine before installing it.

It looks like a real treat getting that piece installed.

#514 4 years ago

In the next couple of weeks, I may pick up a complete populated playfield. If I do, I will post some pictures about how to take the upper playfield apart.

#515 4 years ago

The upper playfield was actually pretty easy to install/uninstall... I did a complete teardown/clean when I got mine. (It was originally bought by a couple back in 1997 and sat spordaically used in their basement for 18 years). This is 18 months or so of memory without being able to look at the thing, so take it for what it's worth; but I'd be happy to help with any questions if anyone gets stuck and I'm home near my machine.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Essentially - the thing hooks in on the left side to a bracket - that's the last thing to go out/first thing to put in...

Start by removing the right ramp - but you can leave the stargate in place - there is enough play in the plastic remove it. There is an opto that's attached to it that'll need to be removed before taking out the ramp. (it's attached with those little plastic Gottlieb rivets, so put a sheet down in the bottom of the cab if you lose one. I lost at least 4 during my teardown)

Take the chun li flipper off. The easiest way I found was via allen key under the playfield. it's a tight fit, but doable... It helps to take the clear plastic off which is only 3 straightforward screws

Finally unscrew the top playfield. Everything else seams up right aong to it and should not be affected. Once unscrewed, the playfield should slide to the right (hence why you remove the right ramp). I don't believe there was anything supporting it on the left (two metal prongs hook right into the habitrail and the screws hold it solid)

#516 4 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

The upper play field? Good luck. I have a NOS upper and after taking a look at the upper assembly I chickened out. I don't even know where to start! I need to do it though as the exit habitrail is dislocated from the under side of the upper deck.

Here's building on the last post from statictrance with some pictures.
Remove the left ramp.
LeftRamp (resized).jpg

Remove the middle ramp.
CenterRamp (resized).jpg

Remove the left ramp.
RightRamp (resized).jpg

Remove the flipper assembly.
ChunLiFlipper (resized).jpg

Remove the upper playfield.
UpperPlayfield (resized).jpg

You may also need to loosen the screws that hold the left habitrail in place. If you just need to get the left habitrail back into the metal loop on the upper playfield you can remove the screws that hold the habitrail and pull it out sideways and reinsert the pins into the metal loop.

#517 4 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

You can still buy them on here. STPcore sells them.

I traded away the machine otherwise I would be getting a translite and color DMD

#518 4 years ago

Niiiiiicceeee. That is going to be super helpful. Standby for my inevitable panic post about how I can't get the bitch back together. lol

#519 4 years ago

You have this Smithers... I have all the faith in you.

I was actually shocked at how nicely things fit back together. Say what you will about Gottlieb quality and their questionable electronics decisions in the SS era, I've been shocked at how well built the sucker is compared to my other Bally/Williams SS machines.

#520 4 years ago

I think the bottom line is that System 3's are built like a brick shit house. Rock solid reliability. Game play on the other hand...not so much.

#521 4 years ago

Thanks to latenite04 (& statictrance) for the easy breakdown on how to change the upper-playfield.

I am tool/handyman challenged and was nervous about attempting to switch it out without supervision (I need an adult!!!)

I did it all in less than an hour and I found the most time consuming part was replacing all the pieces needed on the new upper-playfield (screws, ball posts, etc)

Will post pics shortly

#522 4 years ago

Old playfield in hand. The other pics are the new one installed. Thanks again for the easy installation checklist!!!

Making street fighter great again!!

IMG_20170810_1428529.jpg

IMG_20170810_1429138.jpg

IMG_20170810_1429245.jpg

#523 4 years ago

Did you take any more pics of the process?

#524 4 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

Did you take any more pics of the process?

No, unfortunately I didn't. I followed latenite04 directions from A-Z and it was perfect. They were so easy. If I can do it....anyone can, lol.

#525 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Thanks to latenite04 (& statictrance) for the easy breakdown on how to change the upper-playfield.
I am tool/handyman challenged and was nervous about attempting to switch it out without supervision (I need an adult!!!)
I did it all in less than an hour and I found the most time consuming part was replacing all the pieces needed on the new upper-playfield (screws, ball posts, etc)
Will post pics shortly

Your welcome, glad it helped. I had the pictures handy since I just finished shopping mine a week ago. There is that moment of panic when you have it stripped down to the playfield that you might never get it back together.
20170811_112553 (resized).jpg

#526 4 years ago

Question to Street Fighter II owners:

What checksum is your gamerom showing at the display just after powering up and what is the revision number printed on the label at the gamerom (e.g. 735/1)?

I have several gamerom inmages at my library but no info about their revisions. Exploring the images with a hex editor doesn't reveal anything too.

Thanks!

#527 4 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Question to Street Fighter II owners:
What checksum is your gamerom showing at the display just after powering up and what is the revision number printed on the label at the gamerom (e.g. 735/1)?
I have several gamerom inmages at my library but no info about their revisions. Exploring the images with a hex editor doesn't reveal anything too.
Thanks!

My checksum is showing A-094 after powerup (I believe that's the most up to date)

Not sure what you mean by "revision number printed on the label".....maybe because I'm a noob?

#528 4 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

There is that moment of panic when you have it stripped down to the playfield that you might never get it back together.

There was that "oh shit" moment....but it was surprisingly easy to take apart and replace thanks to your easy breakdown on how to do it.

#529 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

My checksum is showing A-094 after powerup (I believe that's the most up to date)
Not sure what you mean by "revision number printed on the label".....maybe because I'm a noob?

Thanks for your response. At the CPU board, the gamerom is installed. Original ones have a label like pictured below. This one says 735/3 where 735 is the gamenumber (=Street Fighter II) and /3 means revision 3. (I borrowed the picture from Clay's pinrepair website).

852streetfighter9s (resized).jpg

#530 4 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Thanks for your response. At the CPU board, the gamerom is installed. Original ones have a label like pictured below. This one says 735/3 where 735 is the gamenumber (=Street Fighter II) and /3 means revision 3. (I borrowed the picture from Clay's pinrepair website).

Pics of mine

IMG_20170811_1326033.jpg

IMG_20170811_1325452.jpg

#531 4 years ago

Done! And now the left habitrail is actually installed correctly making Chun Li shots possible now. I also raised the Chun Li flipper up a bit so it doesn't contact the upper play field.
Before and after pics:

20170811_155951 (resized).jpg

20170811_172439 (resized).jpg

#532 4 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

I also raised the Chun Li flipper up a bit so it doesn't contact the upper play field.
Before and after pics:

I thought along the same lines and did the same thing.

What's the "habit trail" by the way.....?

#533 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

What's the "habit trail" by the way.....?

Really...!!!... ....jk...it's the metal wire form that brings the ball back to your flipper.............Joey

#534 4 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Really...!!!... ....jk...it's the metal wire form that brings the ball back to your flipper.............Joey

Ok....i thought it might have been the spiraling metal rod the ball goes through when you kill Zangief.

#535 4 years ago

That's the cork-screw...man,I'm lovin all this SF attention....!!!...I'm jelly of you guys with the color...I've spent my pin money on the mini-Arcade mod just before the color came to light............Joey

#536 4 years ago

That mod is sweet though. Money well spent

#537 4 years ago

I agree...!!!

Probably dumb question... but what are the square foam pads at the end of the habitrail called...my T2 has them but SF does not...does yours...?..........Joey

IMG_3906 (resized).JPG

#538 4 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

That mod is sweet though. Money well spent

I emailed him inquiring about getting that mod a few weeks ago. He said he'd add me to the wait list. It looks amazing!!

#539 4 years ago

I struggled with my upper playfield swap until I pulled the main playfield out like two inches.
How much were the NOS ones? I snagged a NOS one elsewhere and am curious how bad I got ripped off.
I did put some mylar on it before putting it back. Should last a long time now!

#540 4 years ago

what are the square foam pads at the end of the habitrail called

Mine has them on both habitrails and on the metal plates over the upkickers, they are hard plastic. They are listed on pbr as ball snubbers. At the end of the habitrail I would think a wide piece of high density weather stripping would work well.

Quoted from cocomonkeh:

How much were the NOS ones?

Pbr has them listed for $30 on their website.

#541 4 years ago

Perfect...Thank you latenite............Joey

#542 4 years ago

Probably dumb question... but what are the square foam pads at the end of the habitrail called...my T2 has them but SF does not...does yours...?..........Joey

Mine doesn't have any at the end of the habitrails. Haven't seen them on others for SF2 either. Seems like they would prevent wear. The wire form for the shooter lane doesn't have it either.

#543 4 years ago

Fairly new to the club and have been looking for some custom instruction cards. I don't mind donating a few bucks if the work is good, anybody have a source?

#544 4 years ago
Quoted from Mattamoose:

Fairly new to the club and have been looking for some custom instruction cards. I don't mind donating a few bucks if the work is good, anybody have a source?

I looked for quite some time and have never seen a set for this machine. I put these together one night because I was tired of looking at my faded cards. If anyone else has a nice set of cards I'd love to see them.

SF2FreePlayCard144dpi.jpg
rulescardcorrectsizeblue.jpg
rulescardcorrectsizeblack.jpg

#545 4 years ago

Hi...I'm going to install the arcade mod...does it matter which side I plug it in to...the service or the validator outlet...???!!!...Thank you............Joey

IMG_3910 (resized).JPG

#546 4 years ago

Hi...I'm going to install the arcade mod...does it matter which side I plug it in to...the service or the validator outlet...???!!!...Thank you............Joey

I believe you want the validator outlet, it should be switched on with the machine's power. The service outlet should always have power, even when the machine is turned off.

#547 4 years ago

Ahh...love it...this is a MUST HAVE...!!!............Joey

IMG_3911 (resized).JPG

IMG_3912 (resized).JPG

IMG_3913 (resized).JPG

IMG_3914 (resized).JPG

IMG_3918 (resized).JPG

#548 4 years ago

Ok...dumb question again...(sry)...how do I get to this flasher to replace it...and how do I get the little black plugs off...(I'm missing one on my top most flasher,anyone know what they're called so I can order some)...Thank you all for your help.. ................Joey

IMG_3919 (resized).JPG

#549 4 years ago

These are the info cards I made for mine if you want. It's also got a 'FIGHTER" overlay to invert the letters to white. You can ignore the random below that, I had to replace my bracelet target sticker.

EDIT: (The document is two pages)

SF2 Info Cards.pdf

#550 4 years ago

Ok...dumb question again...(sry)...how do I get to this flasher to replace it...and how do I get the little black plugs off...(I'm missing one on my top most flasher,anyone know what they're called so I can order some)...Thank you all for your help.. ................Joey

To get at that flasher you have to remove the shooter lane habitrail. It's held on by a machine screw at the top, a wood screw in the middle( the one that is in your picture), and two lock nuts under the playfield at the bottom. It will still be attached by the wires for the opto at the top but you should be able to swing it out of the way. You can then remove the plastic that the flasher is mounted to by removing the two speed nuts. The black plugs are plastic rivets. Below are the gottlieb part numbers if you order from pbr but marco sells plastic rivets as well. To remove them you need to pull the center pin out. The easiest way to do it is to push on the pin from the bottom with a small flat screwdriver to get the head to pop up and then pry it out carefully. If you can't get to the underside of the rivet you can use a small flat screwdriver to wedge under the head and work it up. These things tend to break easily.

GTB-MP10 .28”long
GTB-MP91 .39” long

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
BK Pinball
$ 79.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,341 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!