image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
1274826377824-1990420497.jpg
IMG_2447.JPG
IMG_2446.JPG

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I stumbled upon an ebay auction with a guy selling a SF2 with some, not all, LEDs in it. Any SF2 owners have LEDs in theirs and could share some pics and experiences? I like how it looks, LEDs always make machines look updated and classy in my opinion.

Attached is a pic from his auction, not mine.

LED_in_SF2.JPG

#2 9 years ago

I put LEDs in mine when I had it. Blue LEDs in the EHonda and Balrog flashers make a huge difference.

It is a definite bonus. Also, SF2 is a B to shop out, so replacing some of the harder to reach lamps with LEDs is good.

#3 9 years ago

I wish I could just find a NOS playfield and swap everything over....dreaming.

#4 9 years ago

Regardless of the game, all System 3s ghost real bad under their inserts. If you go LED and ghosting bothers you, make sure you get ghostbusters or something similar.

#5 9 years ago

I like the blue on the lightstrip at the back.

And yes, this machine is a total bear to shop. The playfield with all the assemblies weighs a ton and sagged when it was on my rotisserie.

viperrwk

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Regardless of the game, all System 3s ghost real bad under their inserts. If you go LED and ghosting bothers you, make sure you get ghostbusters or something similar.

+1 this. I tried putting in some regular ole' Ablaze 1's (pretty sure they were Ablaze 1's...need to triple check) and they ghost like CRAZY on my SF2. I had heard there were issues and went with it anyways thinking it wouldn't annoy me. I was wrong. Grand Master's Challenge's initial light show loses a lot of its impact when everything is slightly glowing.

I used the LEDs only under the inserts and tried cool white under whites, red under red and oranges under orange. Cool white looked nice. Red was only a slight improvement. Orange was actually worse than a regular bulb and was actually more difficult to see. If someone has a suggestion for orange, I'm all ears.

You also need to go with a non-polarized style bulb, as the first/last bulb in a chain on the circuit board mounted bulbs will not light. You can fix this issue by reversing the polarity of the socket...but why go through that trouble when there are non-polarized bulbs that will address that issue?

When I decide to re-do my original attempt at LEDs on my SF2, I'm definitely only running with LED's under the inserts. I'd like to try a color changer under the Grand Master's Challenge light and the Bracelet Target...but IIRC the Bracelet Target flashes (haven't turned mine on in a while). I'm not sure if that will be an issue (anyone?).

I'd stick to regular bulbs for GI and playfield illumination, but that's me. 2 CENTS

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

I like the blue on the lightstrip at the back.
And yes, this machine is a total bear to shop. The playfield with all the assemblies weighs a ton and sagged when it was on my rotisserie.
viperrwk

Oh goodie. Have one waiting to be shopped. Can't wait...

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from sosage:

If someone has a suggestion for orange, I'm all ears.

Warm White LED gets the job done!

#9 9 years ago

Thanks guys, really good info. I will probably start slow with LED conversion starting in 2013. I dont look forward to shopping this machine, but once cliffy comes out with protectors I will most likely get to it.

I like the blue in the back strip as well, that may be my first and easiest replacement. Then the flashers, then maybe Ill shop and do the rest.

If any one can shoot some pics of their setups I'd really appreciate it, will save me from buying bulbs I dont need.

1 week later
#10 9 years ago

Well, I purchased pingulps and couldnt help but throw a few LEDs in there too. Got 10 blue for the back row, and a few white to try out. Ill start there and go slow, which will be hard but I will try.

#11 9 years ago

I am going to use color matched PBL 4 led for the translight, PBL 3 LED for the slings(blue) and below the flipper plastics (Orange?) and PBL frosted blue for the rest with maybe some whites here and there. And cointaker color matched prem 2 non ghost led for inserts

Now I just need to find a nice SFII arcade to put along side it. Been looking for a nice example for a while..

#12 9 years ago

I just got mine about 2 weeks ago. Its not next to it at this time, but they are both in my basement.

I'd like to see your setup once you get those in. I will post mine when they show up.

This is the machine I just picked up. Wife LOVES it...she beat everyone at our party this weekend.

IMG_2331.JPG

1 week later
#13 9 years ago

Backbox with ablaze 4 led's sorta color matched and my 'new' topper.

image.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Nice job with the color matching. Unfortunately it's like lipstick on a pig.

viperrwk

#15 9 years ago

haha, topper. cheater.

#16 9 years ago

Mine before and after...only the back row is done in blue and the "champion challenge" insert is an RGB. Not sure what I think yet. Think I need some whites in the GI lighting and it will pop more.

IMG_2446.JPG IMG_2447.JPG

#17 9 years ago

Looks great! Good job!

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I just got mine about 2 weeks ago. Its not next to it at this time, but they are both in my basement.
I'd like to see your setup once you get those in. I will post mine when they show up.
This is the machine I just picked up. Wife LOVES it...she beat everyone at our party this weekend.

Nice! A dedicated Z-Back at that. People toss SF2 in all kinds of whacky cabinets, so when a pinball person says, "I have a SF2 vid"...I typically expect to see a hacked up Defender monstrosity.

Also, nice before/after. Funny thing about my SF2 Pin's backglass is that I actually cover it with up with pinball event flyers and misc. stuff.

#19 9 years ago

:DThanks for the praise.

Im hoping ill be able to grab some more LEDs soon and finish the conversion. I almost want to stick the color changing ones in the car smash so it changes color while in that mode. Might look cool, might be stupid. Not sure yet. Im going to work on the GI first and then move onto the inserts.

Yes, my cabinet is a Z back. I was looking for a LONG time to find a suitable machine and came across MANY mutilated pac-man frankenstein cabinets that people wanted way too much for. Luckily found this one in the next state and its in great condition.

Covered up your backglass eh? Dunno if i hate it that much.

#20 9 years ago

Great sf2 was my first machine wish I kept hold of it

#21 9 years ago

:DThanks for the praise.
Im hoping ill be able to grab some more LEDs soon and finish the conversion. I almost want to stick the color changing ones in the car smash so it changes color while in that mode. Might look cool, might be stupid. Not sure yet. Im going to work on the GI first and then move onto the inserts.
Yes, my cabinet is a Z back. I was looking for a LONG time to find a suitable machine and came across MANY mutilated pac-man Frankenstein cabinets that people wanted way too much for. Luckily found this one in the next state and its in great condition.

I'm a bit of a SF fanatic, which is partially what lead me into pinball (after years of collecting vids, I bought a SF2 pinball just for the theme and was hooked ).

ANYWAYS! Color changing down there might wind up looking cool actually. I didn't think about that. I was originally thinking about getting some regular colored bulbs and sort of randomly placing a purple here...a green there...so it looked more like there was different stuff going on in the windows in the alley than just one bright white light. *shrug*

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Backbox with ablaze 4 led's sorta color matched and my 'new' topper.

Can you post a pic of behind your translite so I can get a look at what color and where you placed the LEDs? So you did the $0.89 4 LED Ablazes right?

Thanks in advance!

#23 9 years ago

Cointaker has these led's which look great for the car playfield.

1274826377824-1990420497.jpg

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from JDub1006:

Cointaker has these led's which look great for the car playfield.

I'd like to see those in place since you can see the lamps through the window. While I like the light on the flex heads, I don't like the look and prefer them where they can't be seen.

viperrwk

#25 9 years ago

I have the flex for mine. Will post once they are installed

It was hard to get a good pic of the backbox lights. Top row is warm white, rest of the white is cool white. One orange on right side a little above middle.

image.jpg image.jpg

1 week later
#26 9 years ago

Finally got it done. PBL frosted blue in gi. Slings and plastic below slings have CT retro orange. CT color match prem in inserts, and flex in basement for car. PBL 3 led in ones above playfield

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#27 9 years ago

not sure I'm a fan of LED's in the backbox...the translite art is so hideous I wouldnt want extra attention drawn to it

#28 9 years ago

I am not 100% sure on the back box yet. Might take some out or change them a bit. Might be a little bright/much

#29 8 years ago

Love the playfield with LED's! I have a SF2 myself and think I may have to invest in this project. Just put a few in my Rollergames and think I may do more, once you start you can't stop!

1 week later
#30 8 years ago

While looking up videos for LEDs in SFII, I came upon this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=BS4JnYWTka4&feature=fvwp

WHAT THE HELL IS IT? I know its a SFII, but whats with the art package?

#31 8 years ago

It was for this:

#32 8 years ago

So they ruined a bunch of machines for some shoe event? Sad.

#33 8 years ago

Got to play all of Chrizg's tables last weekend at his "open house" party and they are nothing short of stellar. I couldn't thank him enough for the opportunity, but what an eye for craftsmanship to say the least. Every table felt solid and played perfect. F14 was the only one that I experienced any weirdness out of. Beautiful, spotless tables that were just fantastic to look at as well as play. His space shuttle looks like it could have been manufactured yesterday and the lighting made it a whole new experience! Thanks again Chris!

3 weeks later
#34 8 years ago

Chrizg- That SF2 looks simply amazing! I recently picked up a SF2 myself, and plan for it to be the first LED mod I plan on doing. I am still really new to the whole pinball thing, so I am just starting to purchase the LEDs I need for this project. I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me on your lighting job.

First, did/do you have any issues with ghosting on the SF2? Will I need ot look into ghost buster LEDs for any of the areas?

Second, for the slings and plastic below the slings, did you use frosted bulbs? Or is there a specific lens type you used (like concave)? Same question for the insert lighting..

Third, are you sold on the flex LEDs in the Car Crunch area?

Finally, (and I know this one is a stretch), is there an estimated parts list you might be able to forward to me to help me get the right mix of LEDs to do this machine? I don't mind buying a few extra bulbs, but I would hate to buy 25 bayonette style bulbs for something and then have to reorder 555 replacements and wait an extra week for them to arrive.

Thanks in advance for ANY advice or answers you could provide.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Guru-420:

Chrizg- That SF2 looks simply amazing! I recently picked up a SF2 myself, and plan for it to be the first LED mod I plan on doing. I am still really new to the whole pinball thing, so I am just starting to purchase the LEDs I need for this project. I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me on your lighting job.
First, did/do you have any issues with ghosting on the SF2? Will I need ot look into ghost buster LEDs for any of the areas?
Second, for the slings and plastic below the slings, did you use frosted bulbs? Or is there a specific lens type you used (like concave)? Same question for the insert lighting..
Finally, (and I know this one is a stretch), is there an estimated parts list you might be able to forward to me to help me get the right mix of LEDs to do this machine? I don't mind buying a few extra bulbs, but I would hate to buy 25 bayonette style bulbs for something and then have to reorder 555 replacements and wait an extra week for them to arrive.

Yes, you will need non-ghosting LEDs for any system 3 gottlieb. Try Pinballlife's ABLAZE non-ghosting.

As far as bulbs and all, that info should be in your manual.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Guru-420:

Unless SF2 is the exception, every Gottlieb Sytem 3 I have owned has used 44/47 style bulbs dominantly throughout the machine including GI and inserts.....

#37 8 years ago

Just my recommendation: only do the under playfield inserts. I've yet to see an led setup that handled playfield illumination well. Also on sf2, try warm white for orange inserts. Orange led on mine looked really weird and barely lit.

#38 8 years ago

There are no 555's on SF2. I used CoinTaker non ghost prem color matched for the inserts, and PBL frosted ablaze for the GI except for the slings and below them which are CT retro orange.

I don't think standard leds will work on the car cruch area since they point up.

I just looked under the playfield and took count of each color and ordered so I don't really have a list. I could copy the order from CT, but I also ordered the same style of bulbs for Space Jam on the same order.

This game will be for sale at MGC this year

#39 8 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. I did take a look and I didn't see any 555s either. I counted and assembled an order with PBL. Unfortunately, I was impatient and ordered all of my bulbs in non-ghosting a few days ago. Looks like I will have to re-order some of the bulbs as ghost busters. Luckily, I really didn't go too overboard with ordering, and since the bulbs were cheap it isn't too much of a loss. The bulk of the cost in my order was frosted cool and warm LEDs, flashers and GI Lighting.

I did get a few of the PBL lamps with the concave lens to try in the car crunch, the website says they give off the majority of their light out the sides. I'll report back with my thoughts on them. If I have to order non-ghosting LEDs anyway, I may just wait until I try a few things out first and do an order from CT and get a few of the flex LEDs too.

#40 8 years ago

Man those sf2's look pretty with LED's in them, look so much more modern and clean.

Very noob question here but I've never installed LEDs in a pin and was wondering if there's any resources on how it's done? Is it as simple as putting LED's into the regular bulb holders or do you need to desolder those and re solder with the leds? Any guides on this?

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

Man those sf2's look pretty with LED's in them, look so much more modern and clean.
Very noob question here but I've never installed LEDs in a pin and was wondering if there's any resources on how it's done? Is it as simple as putting LED's into the regular bulb holders or do you need to desolder those and re solder with the leds? Any guides on this?

It is as easy as just adding the new bulbs in place of the old ones. I found this tutorial to be quite helpful as well, there are a total of 3 videos to watch on LEDs. Mind you, I am still new to this myself, but did mod an F14 last weekend and it looked nice once we were done.

tutorial:

3 months later
#42 8 years ago

Just started adding LED's to my SF2. I will say the biggest enhancement is adding LED flashers to the "Honda" and "M Bison" kickout holes on the playfield.

The flashers that are in there are buried under plastics that have that blue paint on them and are hard to see. The LED's make a HUGE difference. I put the Ablaze 9-LED #89 Bayonet Base Flasher Lamps from pinball life in there. They are an investment ($3.95 a piece) but well worth it.

If you are only doing a partial LED conversion, I would recommend the Flashers, and the blue LED's in the back of the playfield. It's $30 you'll be glad you spent!

3 months later
#43 8 years ago

I just heard you can change the ball in the cash smash to a smaller ball to make it more fun. Right now mine is a 3 flipper button push and win, so boring and easy. Might do this.

#44 8 years ago

I need to go through and totally shop my street fighter. I feel like the flow could be improved on.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I need to go through and totally shop my street fighter. I feel like the flow could be improved on.

SF2 is as stop and go as they get. Only flow would be the chung lee shot thats like an orbit.

#46 8 years ago

I just heard you can change the ball in the cash smash to a smaller ball to make it more fun. Right now mine is a 3 flipper button push and win, so boring and easy. Might do this.

Why not just change the setting for how long you have to crush the car? I also remeber by the third time I had car crush I could not finish it as the time was so short.

viperrwk

#47 8 years ago

Yeah. Definitely anti-flow design, but that's partially what makes it unique. You're either gonna love that about it...or hate it.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from sosage:

Yeah. Definitely anti-flow design, but that's partially what makes it unique. You're either gonna love that about it...or hate it.

I probably should elaborate. A few of my switches arn't up to par and I feel like one flipper is a little stronger than the other. These I feel help downgrade the flow

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I feel like one flipper is a little stronger than the other.

That's because it is (assuming no one changed your game.)

Gottlieb changed the lower left flipper in production games to A-29876 (orange wrapper) which is the most powerful flipper coil they made. They did this to give people a chance to make the right ramp shot and get the ball past Chun-Li. The right flipper is one step down in power - A-25959 (red wrapper.)

viperrwk

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

That's because it is (assuming no one changed your game.)
Gottlieb changed the lower left flipper in production games to A-29876 (orange wrapper) which is the most powerful flipper coil they made. They did this to give people a chance to make the right ramp shot and get the ball past Chun-Li. The right flipper is one step down in power - A-25959 (red wrapper.)
viperrwk

I think the Guile shot is hard too and probably needed this as well.

As for the car crush, I have all my settings on HARD....Ill have to look for a timer setting.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside