• Latest reply 2 years ago by SadSack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210420_174136 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi all! First time posting. I am rather new to pins, I've been working on them on weekends since mid last year, so I've become a bit familiar with them but am still learning. I am much more familiar with arcade games, but I still enjoy pinball. I actually was finally able to pick up a machine of my own, a Gottlieb Street Fighter 2.

To cut to the chase, this thing isn't booting and has me a bit stumped. I get some text on the screen (as shown in the picture) such as "Free Play" and a bunch of numbers. The same thing flashes on the screen several times as if it is resetting.
20210420_174136 (resized).jpg20210420_174136 (resized).jpg

Here's what I've done on the CPU board: verified the voltages, verified the ROMs against what was floating around in the pinMAME set, replaced the 74HC123 as I've read that this can be a problem child, replaced 1uF ceramic capacitors C20 and C21 as they had drifted out of spec (also read that they are problem children), verified resistors R5 and R6 to be 680k, Verified the jumpers to be correct for the ROM and the RAM, verified the 6264 RAM out of circuit, and finally changed the battery with a fresh one. I also started poking around on the CPU to see what those signals were doing, reset is not toggling after boot, interrupts are not happening (not sure if that is correct, none are pegged low so I don't think it's stuck)

I haven't begun too look much into the display driver board, I have two of them and both do the same exact thing, so I figure it to be a CPU problem, but I've also read that these can be a bit troublesome. I see that the LED is blinking, but that's not a very good indicator that it's running correctly...

What I am looking for here is some advice as to where I should troubleshoot next. I am currently at a loss as to what I can do here. Any tips? Sorry for the lengthy first post!

#2 3 years ago

Gottlieb system 3 boards are notoriously hard to work on. The boards use a lot of decoder and latch chips to move data around. So pay special attention to the clock signals.

The junk you see on your display is a symptom of the cpu board not communicating with the display board. The ribbon cables are also known to fail and I would swap the out first.

Upon a successful boot you should hear two tones from the sound board and the leds on the cpu board and dmd driver will start to blink.
Good luck!

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Gottlieb system 3 boards are notoriously hard to work on. The boards use a lot of decoder and latch chips to move data around. So pay special attention to the clock signals.
The junk you see on your display is a symptom of the cpu board not communicating with the display board. The ribbon cables are also known to fail and I would swap the out first.
Upon a successful boot you should hear two tones from the sound board and the leds on the cpu board and dmd driver will start to blink.
Good luck!

So I've tried swapping around the ribbon cables with no luck, so I do not believe it to be a connection issue. Weirdly enough, I got it to boot by messing around with the voltage adjustments (Turning it up then back down), but I only heard one tone, so I'm wondering if I have sound issues. I threw it into test, it passed the memory check, all the lights worked, but sound just produced some buzzing. No LED action at all signaling that it is alive. Whats even weirder, is that sometimes it would boot with no display at all, so I have to wonder if it is a CPU board issue or not...

#4 3 years ago

Sounds like you read through Clays guide on pinrepair.com. The machine will boot with just the cpu board and display board linked up. So don’t worry about the sound cards for now.

If any prior work was done, I’d go back and check that pretty carefully.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Sounds like you read through Clays guide on pinrepair.com. The machine will boot with just the cpu board and display board linked up. So don’t worry about the sound cards for now.
If any prior work was done, I’d go back and check that pretty carefully.

As far as I can tell, the only previous work has been done by me. These two boards were not original to this machine however, they came out of a box of boards I was borrowing. I ordered some new repro boards to help me diagnose these issues. Best case I have an extra set to sell, worst case I throw them back in the box until later.

#6 3 years ago

I am not familiar at all with Gottlieb, so not sure if the CPU requires all boards to be present (I doubt it) , but what I would do is to unplug as many boards as possible and try to boot it with the minimum. I would just plug power / cpu boards first (with switches and lamps connected) and see how far it boots. Then I would add the display.. It may not be possible if the CPU is actually waiting on other boards to continue booting (doubtful for soundboard).

Since you mention it booting after touching the voltage , it's possible some board is either pulling the voltage down upon doing some tasks, or that once it sends data on the data bus it cripples the whole thing.. You did mention the sound only produced buzzing.. It just might be the culprit and bugging the data line.

So my tip , boot with the bare minimum.

#7 3 years ago

If you can get to the test menu do a factory reset. If you want to bench test your sound board I can send you the test roms that Marco Albus wrote.

Here's a great video on how to test the sound board.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Roamin:

I am not familiar at all with Gottlieb, so not sure if the CPU requires all boards to be present (I doubt it) , but what I would do is to unplug as many boards as possible and try to boot it with the minimum. I would just plug power / cpu boards first (with switches and lamps connected) and see how far it boots. Then I would add the display.. It may not be possible if the CPU is actually waiting on other boards to continue booting (doubtful for soundboard).
Since you mention it booting after touching the voltage , it's possible some board is either pulling the voltage down upon doing some tasks, or that once it sends data on the data bus it cripples the whole thing.. You did mention the sound only produced buzzing.. It just might be the culprit and bugging the data line.
So my tip , boot with the bare minimum.

I have tried that, the minimum required here is the A1 cpu board and the A8 DMD controller. One can't boot without some kind of communication from what I've read.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

If you can get to the test menu do a factory reset. If you want to bench test your sound board I can send you the test roms that Marco Albus wrote.
Here's a great video on how to test the sound board.

It would be much appreciated if you could share the test roms with me, I would have just sent you a PM but unfortunately my account is too new (haven't hit that 48 hour min).

#10 3 years ago

Try posting in the SFII club thread for help as well.....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-club-all-welcomeready-set-shoot

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from SNESNESCUBE64:

It would be much appreciated if you could share the test roms with me, I would have just sent you a PM but unfortunately my account is too new (haven't hit that 48 hour min).

PM Sent

1 month later
#12 2 years ago

I have the same problem! I put an ice cube in a sandwich bag and hold it to U11 on the MPU and the surrounding components for about a minute and then mine starts. I have the parts on order and hope to fix it next week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-2-not-booting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.