Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by russ21
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi all, my first post on pinside, have had SF 2 for a week or so now and has been working fine until earlier today when the screen flickered a bit and packed up completely. Self test fails at first push, giving a dull note and does not step onto next test. Just getting started with r e familiarizing myself with pintables and how t hey work (May take a while) in the meantime any suggestions as to where I can start to fix this? Rest of machine works fine. Cheers russ

#2 9 years ago

Wait for viper to chime in... Sounds like possible bad GAL chip

#3 9 years ago

Hi guys, just tried SF 2 again and on power up screen is good showing 4 player scores at zero. When you start a ham e the screen fades away to nothing. Any pointers really appreciated. Russ

#4 9 years ago

Should read "game" poops!

#5 9 years ago

I'm not sure from your descriptions exactly what your problem is so checking a few basics is in order.

When you turn the game on you should get a high pitched dual squeal. This is normal and tells you sound is working.

In the backbox there are four boards with LEDs on them. Lower right is MPU. Upper right is display controller. Middle left is sound board. Upper left is aux sound board. The LEDs on these boards should all be blinking - not at the same rate or in unison - but blinking. This tells you you have 5v going to your boards.

On the playfield the insert lights should be flashing in attract mode. If they are, you have 12vdc and you know that the two low voltages necessary to drive the display are present and the MPU is working.

Let the game sit and observe the display. It should change in attract mode and say Premier, Gottlieb, Capcom and other things. If it does you know the logic section of the display controller is working an dtalking to the MPU.

If while it is sitting there the display goes out and nothing appears on the screen anymore, look at the LEDs on the boards. Are they all still blinking? Look at the insert lamps on the playfield. Are they still flashing? If the answer is yes, then there are two possible problems.

1 - you have a high voltage problem on your display controller.
2 - you have a bad DMD display.

Of the two, #2 is more likely because if the display first turned on ok but then goes out, your voltages are probably fine since they typically don't start out ok then fade away. Nonetheless you should check the voltages when the display is out following the instructions on Pinwiki:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_3#Power_Issues

viperrwk

#6 9 years ago

Hi viper, thanks for the info, removed the back glass an d checked the boards, all less flashing ok along with the squawk at start up. When I move the panel the display is mounted in the display flickers back into life. Gently prodded the board with a plastic biro cover and the display flashes again and goes off. Have removed and replaced both plugs on the dmd board the one on the right seemed a little loose? No obvious signs of damaged pins or hr solder joints on the socket to board. I have to ask which is AJ lead referred to on the attached link to test power voltages? Is it the ribbon cable that drops down from the controller board? At the moment the screen has been good for 20 mins. Will have a few games and report back. Thanks

#7 9 years ago

When you face the front of the DMD, the connector on the left side (not the ribbon connector) is where the power goes in. Again, as you face the front of the DMD, the leftmost pin on that connector is pin 1.

You could also have bad connections and reseating them helped make the display come back on. Please don't hook and unhook connectors with the game powered on otherwise you will likely do damage to the DMD controller.

viperrwk

#8 9 years ago

Hi thanks for explaining where things are! I did turn machine off before turning off and reseating cable. Played machine for about 30 mins and all fine with no flickers on display and remained good throughout. However as you've probably guessed just played a game and the display disappeared completely and does restart when power off/on. Will check voltages as you suggest. If worst case where is best place to get a replacement display or can it be repaired?

#9 9 years ago

Should read does not restart

#10 9 years ago

If voltages check out Pinball Life has the cheapest price on replacement plasma DMD panels. Or you can go the LCD route.

viperrwk

3 weeks later
#11 9 years ago

Screen has now mysteriously started working again, I think it's a power supply issue as two of the high voltage readings were low and 12v was missing altogether. Will double ccheck voltages at back of display now it's working again and see what voltages I get.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-2-no-screen-display and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.