• Latest reply 3 years ago by Bennyv07
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180215_144349 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I'm back looking for direction to solving a few odd problems with my machine....

1: Spinning Flipper. This flipper has worked great until last week. Now it goes on and off intermittently. Where do I start to figure out what is causing this? I realize it's not always supposed to be spinning, but when it's supposed to be on it will just stop and then it may start up again.

2: Car Crush reset. The car crush doesn't always return to the reset position. I replaced the solenoid, but that didn't fix the problem. What else should I check to correct this problem?

3: Left UpKick. As the game warms up, the kick out seems to become weaker and will always drain down the middle between the flippers. I tried replacing the PCB DC Filter but it didn't correct the problem.

Could these problems be related in some way? Just looking for some pointers on where to begin in order to resolve them.

Thanks in advance for any help out there.

#2 6 years ago

These are all controlled by the A3 board in the backbox. A3J5 connects to the motor relay and car crunch power relay and A3J6 runs the car reset and upkicker. I would start at the board and reseat the two large connectors and check the board for any obvious components being burned/overheated.
20180215_144349 (resized).jpg20180215_144349 (resized).jpg

1. The spinning flipper sounds like a loose connection or cut wire. Start at the motor and work your way back along the wire looking for any cuts and unplug/reseat any connectors.

2. Does the solenoid engage but the car doesn't reset all the way or is the solenoid sometimes not firing? Have you changed the reset springs? On mine one of the springs was stretched which pulled the mechanism to one side and it would bind. I cleaned it and put two new spring on and it's been working ever since.

3. Sorry, I don't have anything on this one. Mine does the same thing at times and I have not spent the time to look into it. Hopefully you find a fix and post it up here.

Good luck.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the info latenite04! So after reviewing your info I was able to narrow down the spinning flipper issues. Realized that the ramps weren't engaging. Checked and verified that neither ramp had power. Found that I had a blown fuse. Replaced fuse and tested the solenoids and confirmed they weren't getting power. Played game and they worked for a short period time before blowing the fuse again. What is causing the fuse to blow? Is it something on the Driver board that has gone bad? Mosfets, transistors, bad that operate the ramps?

Also corrected the weak left upkicker problem. Found that someone had the solenoid installed upside down and wasn't lined up correctly. Turned solenoid around and problem resolved. Kicks out hard every time to the right flipper.

Still trying to trace down the reset issue for the car plunger. It stills works now and then.

#4 6 years ago

It could be bad transistors on the control board. It looks like Q8 and Q9 control the stargate coils. Do the coils have connectors anywhere or are they just soldered on, I'm wondering if you can disconnect them temporarily to determine if it's one or both of the coils causing the issue. Do you have the correct 1amp slo-blow fuse in F25? I'll send you the wiring diagram in a pm in case that is helpful. You might want to post this question in the Street Fighter thread, I know I've seen other people have an issue like this and they might have a better answer.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks. The connections are soldered on. I can disconnect to try and narrow down even more. Yes, I have the 1 amp slo-blow fuse in F25. I appreciate your help and I will continue to research. I think I may have one of the rods jamming on the left ramp solenoid. I will disconnect that one 1st and test it. A wiring diagram would be great and I appreciate it.

#6 6 years ago

Make sure the eos switches on the ramp solenoids are adjusted correctly and making a connection otherwise the coil will never switch from high voltage to the lower hold voltage which could blow fuses.

2 years later
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from rdb569:

I'm back looking for direction to solving a few odd problems with my machine....
1: Spinning Flipper. This flipper has worked great until last week. Now it goes on and off intermittently. Where do I start to figure out what is causing this? I realize it's not always supposed to be spinning, but when it's supposed to be on it will just stop and then it may start up again.
2: Car Crush reset. The car crush doesn't always return to the reset position. I replaced the solenoid, but that didn't fix the problem. What else should I check to correct this problem?
3: Left UpKick. As the game warms up, the kick out seems to become weaker and will always drain down the middle between the flippers. I tried replacing the PCB DC Filter but it didn't correct the problem.
Could these problems be related in some way? Just looking for some pointers on where to begin in order to resolve them.
Thanks in advance for any help out there.

rdb569 I noticed today that my car crush doesn't reset position either (wont even kick back past the light) and i think it may be the solenoid. Can you please let me know which one you replaced and with what? Thanks again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-2-mutliple-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.